Recent content by athenaskidney

1. A

Help Quieting My Supermicro Servers

Someone just told me the fanwall on the 4U is seperate from what ipmitool controls. And they said I could likely just remove the entire fanwall, and put in noctuas?
  2. A

As for my 4U Supermicro running TrueNAS It seems I needed to do Set to full speed 0x30 0x45 0x01 0x20 Then adjust these two paramaters down 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 0x08 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 0x08 I'm having trouble determining which fans these are adjusting. If I adjust one, something...
  3. A

Ok I got it on my firewall. Haven't tried the NAS yet. Had to change to full speed mode 0x30 0x45 0x01 0x20 Then adjust speed to 8% 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 0x08 Almost dead silent. Hopefully that will be enough fan speed. THE ISSUE is on a reboot it kicks it back to full speed and stays at...
  4. A

1U Server: opnsense E3-1270 v3 8GB Ram X10SLH-LN6TF X10SLH-N6-ST031 (I'm going off the listing I purcahsed it from and this is what as in the title, I can't pull out the server to check at this time). 4U Server: truenas core CSE-847 AOC-S3008L-L8E Rev2 SAS-3 HBA AMD Epyc 7401P H11SSL-i...
  5. A

Ok so, just got through to IPMI. The fan speeds were already at "optimal". The only options being Standard, Optimal, HeavyIO, Full Speed. Optimal and Standard are the quietest as expected, I notice no difference between the two though so I left at Optimal. But yeah we're just at square one...
  6. A

Hm.. I wonder if I could just take out the fans and brackets, then just zip tie new fans to the fanwall an plug in the 4 pins and call it a day haha. Bad idea? Missed this comment. good point thank you.
  7. A

Oh I see, so the settings will be in the web interface. If I enable IPMI, then go into the web interface to adjust the settings, then disable IPMI.. are those settings retained and active? And ok so the dimensions account for the notch you made note of? Or do I need to look for 80x80x38mm...
  8. A

Hm ok I am going to have trouble finding a fan then... not sure how to even look for that. As far as speed controls go, isn't IPMI used for network controls or something? Anyways the only two options I have under IPMI is System Event Log, and BMC Network Configuration (disabled). The only other...
  9. A

I thought I remember looking into doing that a while back, and there was some limitation to doing this. But maybe I am mistaken. I'll order one fan to test it out with. Any suggestions? Was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-R8-redux-1800-PWM-Performance/dp/B00KF7MVI2 Would that...
  10. A

Suggestions For Proxmox & Jellyfin 2U Build?

I am coming up on the time to build my last piece to complete my rack. I have a dedicated TrueNAS server for storage, and a firewall. I want to have a dedicated machine for (likely Proxmox) to self-host everything on, and for Jellyfin (which will run in Proxmox). I am gathering suggestions. I am...
  11. A

So I have two Supermicro servers, a 1U and a 4U. I just want to reduce the noise a bit. It's mostly the fan wall that is in them. Ideally I'd like to replace them with a quiet fan like Noctuas. I'm not worried about the power supplies at the moment, it's mainly the fan walls I want to get...