Recent content by aholmes5

1. A

The 2.5G and go switch... not cheapest, not the most expensive

This Microtik has managed 8x2.5gig and 2 SFP+ at $239. STH reviewed it recently. You read the cheap switch Buyer's Guide right? Several very cheap unmanaged (plug-in and go) options with 2.5gb ports and 1-2 sfp+ (scroll down the guide to this section). Several of these are sub $100. A cheap...
  2. A

NIC firmware update on ROMED8-2T failed?!

Thanks so much. You got my port 2 working again. I made the mistake of updating via the Intel software as well and bricked one port.
  3. A

Home server Epyc Rome build with Asrock ROMED8-2T

The RAM is ordered - will be 8x16gb for now. I put in a GTX 1660 for NVENC for the media server. That was the cheapest board with the Turing NVENC/NVDEC. I have no idea of S3/S4 - I don't see it in the BIOS anywhere. My machine is a server and is always on so I don't need this. The X550...
  4. A

Home server Epyc Rome build with Asrock ROMED8-2T

Love this board and AMD so far - haven't had an AMD processor since K5 days. I was coming from a Xeon E3 v1 for my home server so the performance is simply incredible. I move my Proxmox boot to two mirrored Samsung 970 NVMEs. Got to remove a 10gb ethernet card since the Asrock board has an...
  5. A

ASRock Rack 6 pin fan header

Thanks for the replies. Weird that they added additional pins when there don't seem to be any fans that support using them - especially on a board so cramped for space.
  6. A

Am I nuts? All Epyc boards have the socket turned 90 degrees.

Thanks just saw that: 3800 vs 2000 rpm.
  7. A

ASRock Rack 6 pin fan header

I'm not familiar with the ASRock Rack 6 pin fan headers on the ROMED8-2T motherboard. Are these compatible with 4 pin and 3 pin fans? Can't find information on them anywhere. I'm not even sure what the next two pins are for.
  8. A

Thanks for input. I'm going to pickup the Dynatron A35 or the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4. Looks like I could swap the fan on either one for a Noctua.
  9. A

I want to have front to back airflow. A lot of threadripper coolers are marketed as also supporting Epyc. They will mount but will point the wrong direction. I'm looking for a good 4u cooler for Epyc that is oriented front to back. Look at the socket and ram orientation on these...
  10. A

It points the wrong way on Epyc too. Epyc and TR have same socket but Epyc is oriented 90 degrees from TR.
  11. A

I guess Noctua designed their coolers primarily for threadripper which has a rotated socket compared to Epyc. Weird
  12. A

So Noctua designed their coolers 90 degrees wrong? I did find a dynatron cooler and the supermicro cooler that both are oriented correctly.
  13. A

Noctua seems to make the only coolers available for Epyc SP3. I’ve looked at the Supermicro and Asrock boards and it seems like the noctua coolers will all blow hot air to the top or alternatively, bottom of the case, not to the back where the exhaust fans are. Am I looking at something...
  14. A

Epyc Rome vs Scalable

I hadn't really considered using a W as my headless server but it seems competitive cost wise if I can get an apple part off of ebay. I do think the single core performance might come in handy for a lot of my workflow. I doubt as many of these will appear on the second hand market as the...
  15. A

Epyc Rome vs Scalable

I haven't owned an AMD processor since the 32 bit K6. Its hard for me to follow their product lines but my understanding is the 3950x is a desktop processor and doesn't support ECC ram?