Am I nuts? All Epyc boards have the socket turned 90 degrees.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
Noctua seems to make the only
coolers available for Epyc SP3. I’ve looked at the Supermicro and Asrock boards and it seems like the noctua coolers will all blow hot air to the top or alternatively, bottom of the case, not to the back where the exhaust fans are. Am I looking at something incorrectly?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The motherboards have the correct orientation for front to back airflow, like one would expect in a server motherboard. Supermicro offers a heatsink for the socket that could work for you. The part number is SNK-P0064AP4.

Reactions: aholmes5

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
The motherboards have the correct orientation for front to back airflow, like one would expect in a server motherboard. Supermicro offers a heatsink for the socket that could work for you. The part number is SNK-P0064AP4.
So Noctua designed their coolers 90 degrees wrong? I did find a dynatron cooler and the supermicro cooler that both are oriented correctly.

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
I guess Noctua designed their coolers primarily for threadripper which has a rotated socket compared to Epyc. Weird

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
So Noctua designed their coolers 90 degrees wrong? I did find a dynatron cooler and the supermicro cooler that both are oriented correctly.
Not wrong, just prosumer/atx (ram in front of the heatsink) friendly

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
I'm confused now...

What do you want to achieve? :D
I want to have front to back airflow. A lot of threadripper coolers are marketed as also supporting Epyc. They will mount but will point the wrong direction. I'm looking for a good 4u cooler for Epyc that is oriented front to back. Look at the socket and ram orientation on these motherboards: one is an Epyc board, the other a threadripper.

13-140-044-V01.jpgSym1TNVuiwUlGlrb.jpg

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
It makes sense why Threadripper Noctua heatsinks are pointed in the direction they are. They're meant for workstation motherboards that are in standard tower cases. They're not really meant for server chassis's where airflow always goes front to back. If you want a larger heatsink that can push some serious air, then the only real choice with the proper mounting direction is the Dynatron A35: A35 | Dynatron

This should get you the socket direction and airflow you desire. It won't be as quiet as a Noctua heatsink but then again these CPU's are incredibly power hungry and need significant airflow, so you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Reactions: aholmes5

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
Thanks for input. I'm going to pickup the Dynatron A35 or the Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4. Looks like I could swap the fan on either one for a Noctua.