Recent content by AdrianB

1. A

AMD Ryzen 9 16 Core Launch and New Threadripper Details

In my previous reply I have forgotten to mention that there also is a third variable, but that variable is not independent, so I did not enumerate it in the first message. The degradation of the insulators depends on both the temperature and the voltage. However, both the voltage and the...
  2. A

No, that is not true. The longevity of a processor core depends mainly on 2 variables: the temperature (on which the degradation of the insulator layers depends) and the electrical current consumed by the core (on which the degradation of the conductor traces depends). A core in a "server"...
  3. A

I have forgotten to mention that it supports only UDIMM. Unfortunately only 16 GB UDIMM modules @ 2666 MHz are cheap and available everywhere, because that is what Intel supports. For Ryzen one would like 32 GB UDIMM modules @ 3200 MHz or at least @ 2933 MHz, but those seem very hard to find...
  4. A

At least the following motherboards support ECC: ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE All ASRock motherboards There might also be other motherboards with ECC support. I am currently using a Ryzen 7 3700X on a Mini-ITX motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 with 32 GB of ECC memory and it works OK. I...
  5. A

After seeing the Threadripper prices I have also considered the 18-core Intel, but I have eventually decided that it is not the best solution, unless one buys it with the special purpose of developing AVX-512 optimized programs. My long experience with many hundreds of computers has taught me...
  6. A

For those who need high connectivity, but do not need the high CPU performance of a Threadripper, AMD already has the right products, i.e. Epyc 7302P or the other cheaper Epyc models. While Epyc MBs with PCIe 4.0 are not easy to find yet, if PCIe 3.0 is OK then Supermicro H11SSL is widely...
  7. A

Intel Xeon W-2200 Series Launched Up to 18C and 1TB

Unfortunately no. I have an X11SRA and I would have liked to upgrade the CPU, but the MB is limited to 14o W TDP, while the new Cascade Lake Xeon W have 165 W TDP. So we must wait for some new motherboards, maybe from Supermicro, Gigabyte or Asus.
  8. A

Intel Xeon E-2200 Refresh 8-Core SKUs Available

I have forgotten to mention that these are indeed the same Coffee Lake Refresh processors available from last year for desktop ( => Xeon E-22??G) and from less than 2 months ago for laptops ( => Xeon E-22??M).
  9. A

Intel Xeon E-2200 Refresh 8-Core SKUs Available

They have been added to Ark during this day, complete with price information and with the correct clock frequencies. Intel® Xeon® E Processor Product Specifications
  10. A

Intel Pentium Silver J5005 Benchmarks and Review

I agree with everything you wrote, but the last sentence about FreeBSD really amused me. As a happy user of FreeBSD during more than 20 years, I know very well that even if what you wrote is not true, it also is quite close of being true. This is not something specific to NICs, for any kind of...
  11. A

Intel Pentium Silver J5005 Benchmarks and Review

Until recently I have seldom used Realtek, and I thought that maybe there are no longer problems with them. Nevertheless, recently I had problems with Realtek, on 2 different kinds of new small computers (a Zotac PI335 Gemini Lake & a LattePanda Alpha). I have seen no problems in normal...
  12. A

AMD CES 2019 Keynote Announcements

Also, they have enough free space for a second 7-nm die, either for a second 8-core CPU or for an integrated GPU. At least the variant with up to 16-cores is more or less confirmed now. Quote from the interview of Lisa Su published in PCWorld: “Some people may have noticed on the package some...
  13. A

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Review Powerful Ultra-Thin Mobile Workstation

By "i5/i7 8th gen" I assume that you actually mean U processors, i.e. 15 W processors. In that case you are of course right, but the comparison is meaningless. Whoever is willing to spend money on a laptop referred as a "mobile workstation", for example myself, has to use it for tasks where a...
  14. A

Move Over M.2: 16TB M.3 SSDs for the 1PB per U Data Center

So your explanation is "Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity". So you say that in many large companies the SSDs are bought or leased, then they are used during a definite time, e.g. 3 years, then they are scrapped, regardless whether they are worn out or...