Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Review Powerful Ultra-Thin Mobile Workstation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i still prefer my 2011 v2 parts!

as well as the i5/i7 8th gen which has much longer battery life compared to this mobile xeon part.... i mean it's nice to have all that power but really the most important thing for me and probably for most people is the battery life and weight..... if you can't use it for a transcontinental flight then it's just not that useful most of the time.....

AdrianB

Mar 3, 2017
i still prefer my 2011 v2 parts!

as well as the i5/i7 8th gen which has much longer battery life compared to this mobile xeon part.... i mean it's nice to have all that power but really the most important thing for me and probably for most people is the battery life and weight..... if you can't use it for a transcontinental flight then it's just not that useful most of the time.....

By "i5/i7 8th gen" I assume that you actually mean U processors, i.e. 15 W processors.

In that case you are of course right, but the comparison is meaningless.

Whoever is willing to spend money on a laptop referred as a "mobile workstation", for example myself, has to use it for tasks where a 15 W processor is too slow, so it is not a valid choice.

"i5/i7 8th gen" is ambiguous, because it can also refer to H processors, i.e. 45 W processors, which have either the same battery life or worse than the mobile Xeon processors. The battery life can frequently be a little longer for mobile Xeons than for i5/i7 H processors, because the Xeons are normally selected from the best processor chips, which usually have a slightly better power efficiency than the average chips which end in i5/i7 models.

My laptop (a Dell Precision from 2016) has a mobile Xeon and the battery life is certainly not worse than that of any 45 W i5/i7 that I have seen. I have also experimented with U processors. While those are perfectly OK for document viewing & editing, for Internet browsing, movie viewing etc., they are annoyingly slow for any serious work, e.g. for program compiling or for the use of CAD applications.

The conclusion is that it does not make sense to compare the weight or the battery life of the reviewed laptop with those of computers with U processors. They are intended for users with completely different needs, which require different balances between multi-threaded speed and weight/battery life.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The recent BF price reduction allows me to finally consider an i7-8750H with 1060 6GB with 16GB ram for $900....

Here's my cinebench r15. So the i7-8750H is slightly slower than the mobile xeon in this thinkpad P1.... but i am sure you are getting a lot of saving by getting the i7-8750H.... also note that this laptop single core speed is extremely fast.... turbo to 4.1ghz....

The 1060 6gb is not a quadro obviouly but it gets pretty close to the quadro level at around 105 fps on cinebench r15 opengl test...

It is amazing to see the latest advance in laptop cpu...

i7-8750h-1.jpg

i7-8750h-2.jpg

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Also if you don't need Xeon and Quadro gear you can get the Thinkpad X1 Extreme in the same exact chassis. Lenovo's copying from Dell's XPS 15/Precision 55x0 playbook.

@Wildpig, which laptop did you get?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Also if you don't need Xeon and Quadro gear you can get the Thinkpad X1 Extreme in the same exact chassis. Lenovo's copying from Dell's XPS 15/Precision 55x0 playbook.

@Wildpig, which laptop did you get?
Currently testing Dell G7, also got a G5, lenovo Y7000, Lenovo P32 ordered. will test them out and return all but one....

I was able to configure a lenovo P32 with I7-8750H and quadro P1000 for $999. The P1000 is pretty crappy for gaming. However this P32 got like 2 usb c thunderbolt. and also a 90Whr battery which should last 10-12 hr of light use/movie watching.... also 4 sodimm slots!

Lenovo ThinkPad P52 Mobile Workstation | Next-level power to create | Lenovo US

The dell G5 and lenovo y7000 are the cheapest at $850-900 and they do come with 1060 6GB so much faster than quadro P1000, but they dont have any where the battery life of lenovo P52