Recent content by aag

1. A

pfSense in a Hyper-V FreeBSD box of Win11: performance?

Primarily a VPN server, which is a necessity for me. This is very interesting, thanks. Can you elaborate a bit, and perhaps draw a topology example? I've never set up VLANs but I am always eager to learn something new.
  2. A

pfSense in a Hyper-V FreeBSD box of Win11: performance?

I am reshaping a rural home with relatively low bandwidth (the internet provider can only supply 100Mbit/s). Does it make sense to route the WAN through a virtual pfSense box (Hyper-V) on a Win11 NUC13Anki host? Or is the performance going to be horrible? I should mention that the NUC13Anki...
  3. A

suggestions for a low-power home server

alright, this is what happened to power consumpion when I moved from the Supermicro (Windows Server, DNS and DHCP servers, backup software running at night) to the NUC13anki7 (windows 11, IIS, Hyper-V with one guest Windows11 running with 20GB and a small guest linux machine running Asterisk)...
  4. A

Wonderful, many thanks. One more question: how would that compare energy-wise (and performance-wise) to a NUC13ANKi7? As discussed above, I won't get around opening the box and replacing some components, hence the DIY aspect becomes almost irrelevant.
  5. A

ok, the offer was: ESPRIMO G9013 CE I7-13700T 16GB 512GB SSD WIFI/BT W11P for ca. 1300 CHF. I would have to expand both RAM and SSD though, and this kind of voids the idea of not bothering with a custom build...
  6. A

Which NUC would you recommend? I had many years ago one of the first Intel Atoms running Asterisk, and the user experience was really bad. But the current NUC generation is certainly much more powerful, right? I am not keen on building the whole thing from scratch, but if it's just about...
  7. A

ah, ok, here is a screenshot.
  8. A

Alright, I think that this one might do. I may add a large SSD and RAM (at least 64GB, perhaps more). I cannot find anything about its idle consumption though; what are your predictions? many thanks again for all your help!
  9. A

I have 64GB on my current Supermicro (6 yrs old, never ever crashed!). It may be overkill though, I could do with 32 GB I guess.
  10. A

Also, how much does RAM affect power consumption? Running VMs, which is crucial to my use case, requires significant RAM...
  11. A

Dankeschön again for your immediate and competent response. In addition to the power considerations, I will heed your advice to go x64 because of the ample software choice. My hardware budget is quite generous; what I want is to save energy (and hassle) instead. Hence, I'd rather not go for a...
  12. A

Thank you everybody for your competent and helpful advice! In the meantime, I have measured the consumption of my SuperMicro Windows Server, and it's whopping 70W average!!! (see graph). I definitely need something less power hungry. I would opt for the following filters: Must run Windows 11...
  13. A

that's very interesting and useful, thanks!
  14. A

For the past 8 years, I've had a nice Supermicro Windows Server in my basement, hosting networking stuff (VPN, DHCP, DNS, etc.), a bunch of linux virtual machines for Asterisk and various home-automation software, and lots of space for file storage. However, things have changed. For one thing...
  15. A

all-fiber in the house?

Obviously I had the same thoughts as you all describe. The killer criterion is that hardly any current consumer device can accomodate fiber. On the other hand, fiber-to-copper converters go for <$50, which is little money in the big scheme of things - but they also add complexity, bulk, and...