Recent content by __McB__

1. M

FS ESXi Server w/X8ST3-F Xeon L5630 24GB ECC 6x1.5GB HDD

I can't say as I never had the need for more memory so I never tried.
  2. M

FYI, just to avoid any confusion, the links for the usb thumb drive and intel xeon were automatically added, I did not add them.
  3. M

I built this ESXi server in 2011 after reading about the idea on this site. I no longer need to run multiple VMs and have decided it's time to let her go. Here are the specs. Case: Corsair Vengeance Series Military Green C70 Mid Tower Computer Case Case 2 (if you want it, it's yours): NORCO...
  4. M

Socket 1366 Proc with Vt-d

Thanks guys. This has been very informational and was exactly what I was looking for. I'll report in as my build progresses. Thanks again!
  5. M

Nitro, Do you mean that not all lga1156 support VT-d so they list it individually for each processor whereas all lga1366 support it so they don't bother listing it for each processor?
  6. M

Patrick, Thank you!! That was a source of constant frustration. I've read on several other sites that both the CPU and the chipset must support VT-d. This misconception was made worse by the way that Intel itself lists VT-d technologies on their processors. The Xeon X3440 for instance shows...
  7. M

Patrick, Thanks for the info but I think I'm still missing something. It is my understanding that both the chipset and the processor must be Vt-d enabled. The 5500/5520 are chipsets with Vt-d, but what about processors? I was unable to find any listed on Intel's site.
  8. M

Supermicro X8ST3-F
  9. M

I am planning on building an ESXi storage server utilizing passthrough. As I understand it, in order to have passthrough with ESXi using an Intel proc you need a Vt-d capable one. There are a couple Supermicro Socket 1366 boards I'm considering but after spending hours searching Intel's site...