Raspberry PI 3 on sale

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I ended up doing a similar calculation for someone who wanted to build a digital photo frame(they were going to pull pictures from instagram) using an Rpi about two weeks ago, it was cheaper to spend ~100 on a tablet that was the size they wanted than all the bits to make the Rpi functional.
The concept that building something from parts costs more than a mass produced system is not new--you won't save any money buying a car at the parts store, either. You put something together from components when the thing you want isn't mass produced. If you just rotate pictures on a screen, yeah the tablet is going to be the cheapest option. If you want to add some kind of nice-looking keypad to control things, components might end up being cheaper (almost certainly easier) than some kind of usb-attached monstrosity--unless someone's mass producing a keypad+fame that the tablet plugs into.

Reactions: izx

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I ended up doing a similar calculation for someone who wanted to build a digital photo frame(they were going to pull pictures from instagram) using an Rpi about two weeks ago, it was cheaper to spend ~100 on a tablet that was the size they wanted than all the bits to make the Rpi functional.
I totally agree with you, get a tablet. Done..

on the other side that PI is a good candidate
PI has GPIO/I2c/SPI, this is the main reason to play with. this is good for learning and Home/office automation.
how about make notification when this, or trigger something on that via I/O.
this the missing part on X86 platfotm :p.

I use esp8266 deployment for small remote device for sensors or I/Os, very cheap :)
running almsot 20 esp8266 with mqtt(backbone)

pi 3 has better processing power and 1G ram limitation is nothing when running as headless server (not NAS:p). running mqtt broker, openHAB, and etc....

I would stick wih Pi due on openess and stable for learning or DIY stable ARM server, Many people are working on PI including distro.
I stick with debian based distro due on my kowledge :)

Reactions: izx

izx

Jan 17, 2016
The Pine64 has the same Broadcom SoC doesn't it?
As @canta noted, no. The Pine64 is using the same AllWinner SOCs used by the BananaPi, OrangePi, etc. Apart from the very first RPi (Roku used the same SOC, IIRC), the Broadcom SOCs have been designed and sold exclusively to the RPi Foundation with a secure supply chain. Or we'd be seeing $15 RPi clones a few months after each release...

AW's open source support is very spotty. The newer SOCs (including Pine 64) have mainline kernel support, so full Debian/Ubuntu/Arch should run fine. They're great boards for IO-heavy or other "x86 substitute" situations, not so much for embedded development or tinkering in general. Still, unless cost is the primary consideration, I'd prefer the ODroid's Amlogic SOCs or Beagle's TI Sitara SOCs for better support.

I keep scratching my head why so many folks want to use the RPi for a gigabit NAS and keep lamenting the lack of that and USB 3.0 :rolleyes: The RPi's overarching goal is to get kids into programming, and secondarily serve as platform for embedded development. If you write a working app that uses a USB doodad and communicates over fast ethernet, it should work just as well with USB 3.0 and gigabit ethernet on a more expensive board -- even more so now that we're on the armv8a architecture. If you just want to run a "NAS" off of one portable USB drive, get the same-or-cheaper Orange Pi with gigabit/SATA and call it a day.

At stock speeds without any 'heavy' peripherals, the RPi will run off any stable 5V/1A supply. I've even run them off the 500mA limited outputs from my Dell monitor's USB hub. The brownout light will go off if the CPU is really stressed, but no hangs or reboots. The QC 2.0 chargers are also perfect at max load, since the spec guarantees them to be 5V/2A. The problem might be people expecting to use their old dedicated 500mA cellphone charger or an unpowered USB hub to power the RPi.

Reactions: canta

izx

Jan 17, 2016
I bought RPi 1 and I'm not really getting why you guys keep buying these things. I mean for $129 + $19 = 148 I can get a setup that's low power, more useful, faster, and runs standard x86.
Well, I have an MSI NUC-clone that cost $110, with an old 4GB DDR3 SODIMM and an old Intel 160GB SSD from my parts bin. It's very snappy and a great Linux standalone for various esoteric tasks (or streaming Netflix), but without a ton of USB-to-X converters and additional level-shifting circuitry, it would be unusable for embedded development or, indeed, as the core of any embedded system. So no, not "more useful" for this very common scenario.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
PI has GPIO/I2c/SPI, this is the main reason to play with. this is good for learning and Home/office automation.
how about make notification when this, or trigger something on that via I/O.
this the missing part on X86 platfotm :p.
There have been x86 solutions for this for a long time, but they cost unless you were buying in very large volume because they were distinctly niche. It also cost to get an ARM development board, for the same reason. What the PI and company have changed is the price of entry more than the technology.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So anyone that is closely following the new ARM alternatives have a good option for getting an ARMv8 that runs Ubuntu? I want to start the work of unifying Linux-Bench in the next revision.

We have started the work, just with more shipping hardware, would be good to take it up again especially as I want to add more functionality for the Linux compile benchmark and such.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
So anyone that is closely following the new ARM alternatives have a good option for getting an ARMv8 that runs Ubuntu? I want to start the work of unifying Linux-Bench in the next revision.
The pi3?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Yea I will get one of those, but seems like a longer lead time. I was hoping to get something sooner.
Well for instant gratification if you're just doing development testing the absolute quickest thing is to use qemu. :)

izx

Jan 17, 2016
Yea I will get one of those, but seems like a longer lead time. I was hoping to get something sooner.
Get one from the UK - about the same right now considering shipping+sales tax from US distributors. Their displayed prices include VAT, so you should see a ~15% discount after entering shipping address.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
There have been x86 solutions for this for a long time, but they cost unless you were buying in very large volume because they were distinctly niche. It also cost to get an ARM development board, for the same reason. What the PI and company have changed is the price of entry more than the technology.
I used to "used" buy x86 industrial solution before the birth of PI. and som SBC too.
you need to load their module to make it works on GPIO.
those are for industrial solution..

the hard part on arm is adding extension, such as pci-e lanes. this is very costly due on ARM design do not have extension in mind.

getting ARM module development is cheap, looks on Chinese maker.. the question is are they follow GPL? mostly they violate GPL. and documentation is almost none and uncomplete :p

PI changes on how we learn embedded system is not hard and easy for first learner.
I believe, PI can charge double price, and people still buying it. PI has good documentation and explain clearly what is API, GPL codes, inculding how to access GPIO/i2c/spi with their gpl source code.
well.. I wish Intel build low power motherboard with opensource GPIO/i2c/spi. :)

canta

Nov 26, 2014

We have started the work, just with more shipping hardware, would be good to take it up again especially as I want to add more functionality for the Linux compile benchmark and such.
it should in the near future, wait until their iron out the release.
usually I stick with debian due on many distro will pickup arm debian release,

Arm64Port - Debian Wiki aarch64-linux-gnu
ArmPorts - Debian Wiki

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea the raspberry Pi x2 with case and PSU was $85 shipped or so. Much less expensive.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea the raspberry Pi x2 with case and PSU was $85 shipped or so. Much less expensive.
I must be tired today. They limited me to 1 RPi 3 after starting check out so I now have 2 cases, 2 power adapters and 1 RPi 3 for $85. Shipping is really expensive at MCM so it is going to be another $40+

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I used to "used" buy x86 industrial solution before the birth of PI. and som SBC too.
you need to load their module to make it works on GPIO.
those are for industrial solution..
Well, sure, you need the right driver. You'll find it's pretty hard to boot up an ARM machine without any drivers, also. But look at the geode for example, it's an x86 with GPIOs that are supported in pretty much anything. They're a little more power hungry than the PI, but the real difference is that they tended to cost well over $100.

getting ARM module development is cheap, looks on Chinese maker.. the question is are they follow GPL? mostly they violate GPL. and documentation is almost none and uncomplete :p
A few years ago the way you got an ARM development board was from the manufacturer, and they cost hundreds. The documentation was decent if you could afford it.

PI changes on how we learn embedded system is not hard and easy for first learner.
I believe, PI can charge double price, and people still buying it. PI has good documentation and explain clearly what is API, GPL codes, inculding how to access GPIO/i2c/spi with their gpl source code.
The pi is actually one of the less open designs out there, and is harder to make fully functional without binary blobs than some of its competitors. What it has is a community built around their stack. I'd actually much rather see less of these board-specific cults of personality and a more generic open architecture. There's nothing fundamentally different about a pi vs an arduino vs a beagle etc, but if you look at howtos you'll find one that's pi-specific and one that's arduino-specific for the same function.

well.. I wish Intel build low power motherboard with opensource GPIO/i2c/spi. :)
It's called the galileo.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I must be tired today. They limited me to 1 RPi 3 after starting check out so I now have 2 cases, 2 power adapters and 1 RPi 3 for $85. Shipping is really expensive at MCM so it is going to be another $40+
shipping not good on MCM, but fast delivery :D

I bought pi 2 fromMCM when they had free delivery event

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Well, sure, you need the right driver. You'll find it's pretty hard to boot up an ARM machine without any drivers, also. But look at the geode for example, it's an x86 with GPIOs that are supported in pretty much anything. They're a little more power hungry than the PI, but the real difference is that they tended to cost well over $100.

A few years ago the way you got an ARM development board was from the manufacturer, and they cost hundreds. The documentation was decent if you could afford it.

The pi is actually one of the less open designs out there, and is harder to make fully functional without binary blobs than some of its competitors. What it has is a community built around their stack. I'd actually much rather see less of these board-specific cults of personality and a more generic open architecture. There's nothing fundamentally different about a pi vs an arduino vs a beagle etc, but if you look at howtos you'll find one that's pi-specific and one that's arduino-specific for the same function.

It's called the galileo.
galileo is a failed product, they try to attach with arduino :p.
I said what? build your own environment with many GPIO/i2c/spi, do not try to attach with arduino.
the other consideration, galileo is pricey, I remember was $100.

geode was my fav... no heatsink but...... low performance in cpu :p..
No true, gpio on geode is limited only for GPIO, Not spi or i2c.
I had been involve to run embedded linux (prior rhel) on geode, webplayer/websurfer,
transmeta(gateway product).
last not least was low power AMD athlon :). this was the time when AMD was the king of x86.

as I said, build ARM dev is not costly. ARM got picked when mobile getting popular (poor MIPS :p),
they cost $$ since they focus on customized product, they can did make $ to consumer but they did not.

pi is good on API and opesource, blob is ok as long as supported with API documentation.
if you look on chinese arm board, they do not publih blob api, and no update at all, mostly the performance are not acceptable, we need opensource or publish their blob(maintained) with API documentation.

No, totally different PI, arduino
PI is mini micrprocessor
arduino is microcontroller

if you started with 8051 , legacy of microcontroller and still used widely today :p. and many clones. you will see differences on microprocessor versus microcontroller
simple rule is, microcontroler give you so many I/O compared with microprocessor. and very responsive on reading or writing since not much layer involved
rule of thumb, remote device candidate is microcontroller due on low power consumption and responsive on I/O. and cheap!! with only 8-32K ram, with 512K-8M flash plus extra 1M ROM.

I see simple explanation microprocessor(pi) versus arduino(microcontroller) -> Raspberry Pi or Arduino? One Simple Rule to Choose the Right Board | Make:

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
galileo is a failed product, they try to attach with arduino :p.
I said what? build your own environment with many GPIO/i2c/spi, do not try to attach with arduino.
the other consideration, galileo is pricey, I remember was $100.
Why should they come up with a pin layout that specifically isn't compatible with arduino just because? That seems like a ridiculous requirement, but if that's what you want I guess you're out of luck. Yeah, it's more expensive than an ARM, currently hovering around $50 for a spec sheet that's a bit behind the times (but my position was that the current crop of boards is really disrupting on price).

geode was my fav... no heatsink but...... low performance in cpu :p..
No true, gpio on geode is limited only for GPIO, Not spi or i2c.
I had been involve to run embedded linux (prior rhel) on geode, webplayer/websurfer,
transmeta(gateway product).
last not least was low power AMD athlon :). this was the time when AMD was the king of x86.
People didn't buy the first generation pi for performance. Also, the geode came out in '99, so I'd kinda expect new products to be faster. SMBus was on the support chip in the geode model. I guess you can complain that they weren't on the same chip, but things have gotten a lot more integrated than they were 15 years ago so it seems like an anachronistic complaint.

No, totally different PI, arduino
For some applications yes, for some applications no. We're seeing libraries written in high level languages on all the platforms, and apps which can tolerate that aren't pushing the limits. (That's true of most of the hobbyist level projects which are driving the sales numbers.) There's no technical reason why a trivial library that (for example) reads a couple of values and does a little math before returning a result has to be tied to a platform, but that's the way things are right now and that creates a barrier to switching platforms that benefits the platform providers more than consumers.