Raspberry PI 3 on sale

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Why should they come up with a pin layout that specifically isn't compatible with arduino just because? That seems like a ridiculous requirement, but if that's what you want I guess you're out of luck. Yeah, it's more expensive than an ARM, currently hovering around $50 for a spec sheet that's a bit behind the times (but my position was that the current crop of boards is really disrupting on price).

People didn't buy the first generation pi for performance. Also, the geode came out in '99, so I'd kinda expect new products to be faster. SMBus was on the support chip in the geode model. I guess you can complain that they weren't on the same chip, but things have gotten a lot more integrated than they were 15 years ago so it seems like an anachronistic complaint.

For some applications yes, for some applications no. We're seeing libraries written in high level languages on all the platforms, and apps which can tolerate that aren't pushing the limits. (That's true of most of the hobbyist level projects which are driving the sales numbers.) There's no technical reason why a trivial library that (for example) reads a couple of values and does a little math before returning a result has to be tied to a platform, but that's the way things are right now and that creates a barrier to switching platforms that benefits the platform providers more than consumers.
Galileo should not piggy back arduino pins. Why?
Intel should define something different. Ex. Pi.
All clones always piggyback pi or arduino. What?..
Without piggy back. Intel will has their on market. Looks on pi.
Galileo has limited support too. They try to tight with arduino.

Sure. Evolve.. Arm has PCI ex included in the higher licensing model. But pricey and costly compared win current x86.
Smbus is not common. I2c and spi is common due on simplicity.
I am not complaining. Just to explain my experience.

Back to cost. Microcontroller is cheap.
Microcontroller is fast on Input output response.
I prefer speed. Small footprint and low power. Nothing can beat microcontroller.

I put general link on differences. Nothing black or white.
l wold like to put basic understanding correctly.

As I said all goes back to cost, small footprint, and low power.this is the big plus in mcrocontrller.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
LOL, yeah kind of like the pi zero LOL, the raspi foundation needs to get it together!
Well, while the Pis are manufactured under contract by Farnell (aka Newark) and RS (aka Allied), the foundation "directly" manufactures the Zero at the Sony Wales factory. This is probably because of the very low margins -- there's even speculation it's a slight net loss at $5. Still, they've said that the goal is to stabilize at 50k zeroes per month, which with the demand+hoarding means at least a few more months. The best antidote would be the release of a Zero 2 ;)

If you live or are visiting near a Microcenter, they usually have the Zeroes with like a limit of 5 (B&M only).

I must be tired today. They limited me to 1 RPi 3 after starting check out so I now have 2 cases, 2 power adapters and 1 RPi 3 for $85. Shipping is really expensive at MCM so it is going to be another $40+
From personal ordering experience, if your domestic order is going to ship via something bottom-barrel like SmartPost, I'd suggest Pimoroni (UK) for any Pi needs - shipping is a flat ~$7.75 for any orders under GBP 50 and gets door-to-door to California in 8-10 days (East Coast in 6-8).

Also, their Explorer hat is an awesome little breakout for minor prototyping, if you don't need all the room/mess of a separate solderless breadboard:

Reactions: Patrick

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Galileo should not piggy back arduino pins. Why?
Intel should define something different. Ex. Pi.
All clones always piggyback pi or arduino. What?..
Without piggy back. Intel will has their on market. Looks on pi.
Well, I think that's exactly backward. The world does not need another incompatible standard for small hobbyist boards, which exists only to try to lock consumers into some vendor's platform.

Smbus is not common. I2c and spi is common due on simplicity.
In the context of small hobbyist boards, you can connect i2c devices to an smbus, so it's a distinction without a difference.

Back to cost. Microcontroller is cheap.
Microcontroller is fast on Input output response.
I prefer speed. Small footprint and low power. Nothing can beat microcontroller.
Well, you seem to not get why the small device market has exploded beyond what it was a decade ago when people cared a lot about the distinctions you're trying to make.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Well, I think that's exactly backward. The world does not need another incompatible standard for small hobbyist boards, which exists only to try to lock consumers into some vendor's platform.

In the context of small hobbyist boards, you can connect i2c devices to an smbus, so it's a distinction without a difference.

Well, you seem to not get why the small device market has exploded beyond what it was a decade ago when people cared a lot about the distinctions you're trying to make.
not backward, the ecosystem is the key, healthy ecosystem can not be copied from other to another
PI and arduinio have a good healthy ecosystem
this is not locking any consumer as long as the detail is clear

SMBUS is more complicated, this is the reason I2c and SPI still the king in embedded controller,
ask your friend that has been worked or workng on embedded world, i2c and spi is on the top list.
I prefer i2c and spi. those the top two on the list

please read general distinction on microcontrooler and microprocessor. this is the base fundamental to understand.
I do not make mine. learned from my working experience. If you disagree, no worry...

as I said nothing black and white

my rule:
if microcontroller can do, use it, and cheap, even for a hobby.
if not possible, microprocessor can be used

I stop to discuss on this thread, since getting Out of Topic.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Well, while the Pis are manufactured under contract by Farnell (aka Newark) and RS (aka Allied), the foundation "directly" manufactures the Zero at the Sony Wales factory. This is probably because of the very low margins -- there's even speculation it's a slight net loss at $5. Still, they've said that the goal is to stabilize at 50k zeroes per month, which with the demand+hoarding means at least a few more months. The best antidote would be the release of a Zero 2 ;)

If you live or are visiting near a Microcenter, they usually have the Zeroes with like a limit of 5 (B&M only).

From personal ordering experience, if your domestic order is going to ship via something bottom-barrel like SmartPost, I'd suggest Pimoroni (UK) for any Pi needs - shipping is a flat ~$7.75 for any orders under GBP 50 and gets door-to-door to California in 8-10 days (East Coast in 6-8).

Also, their Explorer hat is an awesome little breakout for minor prototyping, if you don't need all the room/mess of a separate solderless breadboard:
I check on MC in atlanta, none has pi zero :p.
waiting for Zero 2 or zero 3 :D

izx

Jan 17, 2016
I check on MC in atlanta, none has pi zero :p.
waiting for Zero 2 or zero 3 :D
All stores are supposed to carry them (they're official distributors), but hoarders get to them I suppose. Ask when the next shipment is in and if you want just one or maybe two, request them to hold it for you. It helps if your face is somewhat familiar around there ;)

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
I wish Intel build low power motherboard with opensource GPIO/i2c/spi. :)
[A day late, dooh! :oops::p]

FYI: Intel does have/has/had Edison, Galileo (V1 & V2), and Minnow development boards. Galileo I think is SoC Quark/Pentium-based and is fairly/mostly Arduino shield compatible.

Microcontrollers are simplistic, historically 8-bit or 16-bit, lack FPU, run in constant loops waiting for an event/trigger to occur, and they handle input/output extremely well in near real time (in nano-/milli-seconds).

Microprocessors are significantly more complex and are often considered not to be real-time (8-bit,16-bit,32-bit,64-bit, 128-bit (DEC), 256-bit(DEC?), etc.) with co-processors, FPUs, from single chip, dual chip, multi-chip, multi-core and hyper-threaded technologies. Just look at how far we have come from the early 4004, 8008, 8086 and 8088. Few folks realize that an Intel 80186 CPU existed. The Intel 80286 almost got ignored as well until an IBM-clone manufacturer started using the new CPU. Another fact that few people don't realize, we physically can not flood or overwhelm even the earliest CPUs with simple keyboard and mouse input. What overwhelms the CPU are the complex calculations that we ask for from pre-seeded data (spreadsheets, databases, 100's and 1,00's of datapoints).

Simple microcontrollers where once use for traffic lights with extreme duty relays. Now they include cameras, load sensors, light sensors, and motion sensors, combined with the human touch, as needed. There's a very enlightening documentary on traffic lights in Vegas and that without the human "touch" (visual cues) as part of the grand scheme, that they would have extreme gridlock more often that they do, especially with big name events. I suppose that is why some places, like NYC, still have dancing traffic cops. Computers are getting better, but us humans can perceive and account for wind and wind gusts, and adjust our activity accordingly without much thought such as recreation, sports, and hunting.

[sorry, I digress]

Last edited:
Reactions: mstone

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Microcontrollers are simplistic, historically 8-bit or 16-bit, lack FPU, run in constant loops waiting for an event/trigger to occur, and they handle input/output extremely well in near real time (in nano-/milli-seconds).
I guess it depends how your delineating between a microcontroller and a microprocessor, but your characterization is not correct. The latest microcontrollers are nothing like what you're describing. They are 32-bit, potentially multicore, have dual issue pipelines, run up to hundreds of MHz, have FPUs, have very advanced timer and communication peripherals, etc, etc, etc... They're very powerful devices.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
All stores are supposed to carry them (they're official distributors), but hoarders get to them I suppose. Ask when the next shipment is in and if you want just one or maybe two, request them to hold it for you. It helps if your face is somewhat familiar around there ;)
can not request on hold since limited stock. :|.
they said, pi zero is a hot sale. one or two day after they got the shipment.... all gone!, Crazy!!!!

waiting pi zero 2 or 3,, may be heheh.

$30 for pi 2 and still available in stores :).

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I guess it depends how your delineating between a microcontroller and a microprocessor, but your characterization is not correct. The latest microcontrollers are nothing like what you're describing. They are 32-bit, potentially multicore, have dual issue pipelines, run up to hundreds of MHz, have FPUs, have very advanced timer and communication peripherals, etc, etc, etc... They're very powerful devices.
this is true on my life experience.

I believe, any person that works on microcontroller for 10 year minimally will see a big improvement on current microcontroller.

ruffy91

Oct 6, 2012
Switzerland
The differentiation between microcontroller and microprocessor is very easy and has nothing to do with its speed or peripherals.
Only difference is that a microcontroller contains memory (RAM/ROM/FLASH). Microprocessors have no onboard memory but external data/address-buses.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
The differentiation between microcontroller and microprocessor is very easy and has nothing to do with its speed or peripherals.
Only difference is that a microcontroller contains memory (RAM/ROM/FLASH). Microprocessors have no onboard memory but external data/address-buses.
Yes, I'm well aware of that. Perhaps pc-tecky isn't. The devices I described have on board flash and RAM and are microcontrollers.

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
ruffy91, you right and I forgot about the limited built in memory being key. I guess I fell victim to my own stereotypes where the microcontroller, while generic, is programmed to do one or a few very specific task(s) very well whether it be in your watch, in the hard drive, or your SSD, the robotic bobble head, or in your remote controlled car or robot. From a hobbyist prospective, they are under $10 and under, say, 100 pins for ease of use. ...moving on...

Raspberry Pi's are cool. Yeah, I noticed ARM M0 entering the microcontroller world - Adafruit's Feather.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
ruffy91, you right and I forgot about the limited built in memory being key. I guess I fell victim to my own stereotypes where the microcontroller, while generic, is programmed to do one or a few very specific task(s) very well whether it be in your watch, in the hard drive, or your SSD, the robotic bobble head, or in your remote controlled car or robot. From a hobbyist prospective, they are under $10 and under, say, 100 pins for ease of use. ...moving on...

Raspberry Pi's are cool. Yeah, I noticed ARM M0 entering the microcontroller world - Adafruit's Feather.
M3 is common arm microcontroller.

I just being spoiled with $2-3 for esp8266 microcontroller board. all included including WiFi.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Order statuses:
2/29 Hardkernel Odroid order - No ETA
3/1 MCM RPi 3 order - Processing - No ETA

Totally bummed :-/

izx

Jan 17, 2016
2/29 Hardkernel Odroid order - No ETA
Consider canceling that one and ordering from their Northern Calif-based US distributor, ameridroid.com. Supposed to have them in stock as of today and significantly less appalling shipping :)

Edit: from what I'm reading on the CNX-software blog and Armbian forums, Odroid is shipping 16.04 alpha with a 3.14 LTS kernel, and the Amlogic S905 used in the C2 does not currently have mainline support, although Amlogic/Hardkernel have agreed to begin contributing to that beginning in May(?).

Last edited:

izx

Jan 17, 2016
So anyone that is closely following the new ARM alternatives have a good option for getting an ARMv8 that runs Ubuntu? I want to start the work of unifying Linux-Bench in the next revision.
After a bit of research, your best option for getting Ubuntu AArch64 running, like, right now and into the near future appears to be Qualcomm's Dragonboard 410c board, available for $75 from Arrow. This is a Linaro supported initiative with very stringent software requirements; along with a regularly updated Debian Jessie image, they [Qualcomm] also provide an Ubuntu 15.04-based image.

Canonical also recently committed to make the Dragonboard 410c their reference board for ARM64 development, so I would expect a fully working 16.04 AArch64 from Canonical around the same time as 16.04 drops in general.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea I saw the Qualcomm board. No ethernet though!!!!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Yea I saw the Qualcomm board. No ethernet though!!!!
getting interested :D

qualcomm is doing arm server. and they would release the product later this year ., do no know

one of my friends is working for qualcomm and doing arm server project :D.