Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sorry must have missed that...

No, that is not the e-mail I was given to communicate with someone there.

E-Mail their paypal support e-mail. (That's not what I did, but a suggestion.)

If you want the e-mail I have you can PM me.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Their ebay correspondent responded to me just now and I messaged them a few hours ago.

They won't budge on the 320 + 50 shipping price per chassis, with rails. Seems like a lot =/ compared to the other deals you guys got. I know there are some cheaper alternatives but I prefer the SAS2 backplane just "in case".

Any suggestions if there are any?

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That is the deal price pretty much for SAS2 846 w/rails.

You can get a SAS1 w/out rails for $290 to your door.

I suggest spending the extra ~$90 on SAS2 though myself.

I recently msged all the sellers of tons of 846s asking for pricing on 3-5 units at once, the prices were pretty much the same. I think they have so many of these, they sell so well... why make it dirt cheap if they're unloading? THat's my reasoning at -least :D

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
BPN-SAS-846EL1 SAS Expander (24x 3.5" SAS/SATA Hot-swappable Drive Bays)***Above 2TB Drive may cause the backplane not to recognize all 24 drives.

I noticed mrrackables listing description has that disclaimer, is there any truth to that?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I honestly don't know, I don't have any that are not SAS2.

I've been debating getting one as I have a lot of 2TB drives... if I get one I'll let you know.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
it sucks that the backplane with the always-on blue LEDs is the rare/super expensive one.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
BPN-SAS-846EL1 SAS Expander (24x 3.5" SAS/SATA Hot-swappable Drive Bays)***Above 2TB Drive may cause the backplane not to recognize all 24 drives.

I noticed mrrackables listing description has that disclaimer, is there any truth to that?
Honestly, Do not know in detail.

but, I had a bad karma on SAS1 expander: random SATA discovery when more 4 drives attached. some drives not detected randomly. that was 2T and 3T drive combinations
the card is chenbro (green board verso 1.1) SAS1.

Reactions: T_Minus

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Hey, since the blue LED HDD light, on the front of SM chassis (on the backplane really) has been a big chunk of this thread (and i know its a important issue to alot of SM admins out there, def including me) i thought id re-highlight this thread over at SpiceWorks, where there is an ACTUAL SUPERMICRO rep gathering feedback on what users prefer their blue LEDs to do. So far he has mentioned the possibility of future SM backplanes possibly having the option/ability for the user to switch the blue LEDs function (ie switch between blue LED off and flicker on activity VS blue LED ON and dim on activity).

post your preference over there so SM can see that this really is a feature we would all like to have!

url:

Supermicro LED Issue - Spiceworks

im also going to link back to this thread, over there. at a minimum STH def deserves the SEO points from a relevant STH link organically placed on a well google indexed site:)

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
On the sas2-el1 backplane does anyone know if you can hook up multiple raid controllers to it? It seems like the backplane has 3 ports But I can't really determine if the other ports are just alternatives or if you could hook up two controllers..

I know the el2 backplane supports redunancy and failover But I'm not referncing that backplane.

niksal12

Jul 12, 2015
On the sas2-el1 backplane does anyone know if you can hook up multiple raid controllers to it? It seems like the backplane has 3 ports But I can't really determine if the other ports are just alternatives or if you could hook up two controllers..

I know the el2 backplane supports redunancy and failover But I'm not referncing that backplane.
The EL1 does not support multiple raid cards, only cascading for multiple chassis, and multipath from the looks of it here: http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS2-846EL.pdf

Also has anyone had experience using an Adaptec 5808 on the SAS2 EL1 backplane (and also where to purchase just the backplane)? I want to replace the 846A backplane that I have now and want to make sure that it is compatible. I know that it will be limited by the 3Gbps card, I just want to get a backplane that does not need 6 SFF8077 connectors.

On an unrelated note the 846a backplane that I have now has all SATA drive lights on continuously and dim on activity. With SAS drives though, it acts like the SASEL1 where the lights are off and blink on activity.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Also has anyone had experience using an Adaptec 5808 on the SAS2 EL1 backplane (and also where to purchase just the backplane)? I want to replace the 846A backplane that I have now and want to make sure that it is compatible. I know that it will be limited by the 3Gbps card, I just want to get a backplane that does not need 6 SFF8077 connectors.
I haven't had experience with Adaptec cards, but I'd highly recommend spending a bit and picking up a used IBM M1050 (or equivalent) and flashing it to IT mode; you'll be much happier (unless you have Adaptec HW RAID volumes you plan on moving over, of course).

Backplanes by themselves tend to be really expensive. Unless you find a steal of a deal, you're probably going to have better luck just buying another 846 with the SAS2EL1 backplane for ~$300. It's annoying, but that's just how it is for some reason. Make sure to confirm with the seller that the backplane is indeed the SAS2 version, as that's important.

On an unrelated note the 846a backplane that I have now has all SATA drive lights on continuously and dim on activity. With SAS drives though, it acts like the SASEL1 where the lights are off and blink on activity.
Yep, the "A" (expander-less) backplanes have always functioned this way. Not sure why SuperMicro went a different route with the EL1/EL2 backplanes. You'd think consistency would be a priority; apparently not! I can't hate them too much though, they make nice equipment. I just wish my EL1 functioned like that for SAS & SATA drives, that way I'd know at a simple glance which bays have drives and... well... lots of LEDs just looks cool!!

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
The EL1 does not support multiple raid cards, only cascading for multiple chassis, and multipath from the looks of it here: http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS2-846EL.pdf

What's the full part number of the 846A backplane?

Rain

May 13, 2013
What's the full part number of the 846A backplane?
Likely BPN-SAS-846A, I'd imagine. I don't believe Supermicro created a SAS2 revision (ie: "BPN-SAS2-846A") as it wasn't needed. As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, SAS2/SATA3 (6Gbps) drives will work on the BPN-SAS-846A with a compatible (ie: SAS2 or better) controller.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Hello everyone. I am wrestling with a decision... Could those of you with TQ (directly connected) and SAS1 Expanders reply with:
  • Has anyone gotten "spin-down" working? What was your combination? TQ w/Intel expander? TQ w/3x HBA IBM M1015 cards?
  • Has anyone with the SAS1 expander backplane for HDD spin down working?
If yes to either of those, please post explicit details of your hardware, OS and settings.

My current IBM M1015 flashed to "IT" mode doesn't seem to be spinning down any of the directly connected HDDs. Help! Windows Server 2012, btw.

TL;TR My previous media server from 2008 - 2013 "spun down" my 8 HDDs. They were directly connected to the Supermicro mobo (LGA775) and was awesome. The "Delay" for them to spin-up before watching was a little annoying. But, the machine pulled only 92W from the wall at idle when nothing was happening.

My current build with an LGA1366 3-way SLi mobo + Core i7 950 + 12 GB 1600 mhz ram and 12 HDDs (9 platter drives, 2 SSDs) idles at 230 watts from the wall. While the power doesn't really concern me, it's the HEAT that bothers me. The HDDs do NOT spin down. I have:
  • 2x IBM M1015 flashed to LSI "IT" mode, directly connected to 8 platter drives.
  • 1 platter drive directly connected to the mobo, and it doesn't spin down either.
It isn't the mobo/BIOS as I previously had Windows 7 on it with a 1TB platter drive that constantly spun-down in the past.

I am carefully building a "low-power" mega-server. :) (Blog post to follow!!!)

To SAS expand or directly connect?

I have a SAS2 backplane for the SC846 sitting next to me about ready to purchase my SC846 monster; but, I have a concern about HDD spin downs.

Has anyone with SAS backplane expanders gotten HDD spin down working? What HBA card did you use?

At this point, I'm considering going for a TQ directly-connected backplane. I don't care about hardware RAID. I just want my spindown working!

But even then, I already am experiencing no-spindown of my HDDs directly connected to my IBM M1015 HBAs, flashed with the LSI IT firmware.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: Maybe this should be a dedicated thread?

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
It's because of the difference in drivers from 2008 to 2012 (storport vs scsiport). You need to uninstall your HBA driver (or update it, same thing), download the latest driver for the card, modify the driver's INF file BEFORE installing the driver.

The setting you need to add is:

[DDInstall.HW]
; Enables Storport IPM for this adapter
HKR, "StorPort", "EnableIdlePowerManagement", 0x00010001, 0x01

Depending on your driver INF, you may not have the DDInstall.HW section. You can use the existing section where it creates the registry keys (I forget what it is...did this a long time back) and add those two lines under that section.

- Save the INF file, and now point Windows to that INF file to update your driver.
- In Windows Control Panel-->Power settings, set your HDD sleep timeout
- Reboot
- Test that after the timeout you specified, the disk(s) should spin down.

Here's some more information about this.

IPM Configuration and Usage (Windows Drivers)

I have used this approach with multiple backplanes and expanders and it has yet to not work.

Reactions: neo

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
It's because of the difference in drivers from 2008 to 2012 (storport vs scsiport). You need to uninstall your HBA driver (or update it, same thing), download the latest driver for the card, modify the driver's INF file BEFORE installing the driver.

The setting you need to add is:

[DDInstall.HW]
; Enables Storport IPM for this adapter
HKR, "StorPort", "EnableIdlePowerManagement", 0x00010001, 0x01

Depending on your driver INF, you may not have the DDInstall.HW section. You can use the existing section where it creates the registry keys (I forget what it is...did this a long time back) and add those two lines under that section.

- Save the INF file, and now point Windows to that INF file to update your driver.
- In Windows Control Panel-->Power settings, set your HDD sleep timeout
- Reboot
- Test that after the timeout you specified, the disk(s) should spin down.

Here's some more information about this.

IPM Configuration and Usage (Windows Drivers)

I have used this approach with multiple backplanes and expanders and it has yet to not work.
Thanks. My post was asking if anyone with the SAS1/SAS2 expanders have their harddrives spinning down. And if so, what is that configuration? (HBA, drivers, etc)

:)

But thanks for the info! I found that info and immediately hacked the INF a few ago - pretty much after I posted the above. FYI, you don't have to uninstall... Just modify them, force the install of the unsigned drivers, and you'll have two to pick from - one signed and one unsigned. Take a guess which you want to install. :)

That is exactly what i did to get the directly-connected drives spinning down, and it works now. It has cut my idle down to around 130W now (I'm building a new low-power server with this chassis).

But, my post was asking has anyone with the Expanders got their drives to spin down.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
I haven't been able to use my SC846 chassis yet but did want to mention that SM contacted me back saying the SAS2 expander supports staggered spin up. So I'm not sure why it wouldn't spin down.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Thanks. My post was asking if anyone with the SAS1/SAS2 expanders have their harddrives spinning down. And if so, what is that configuration? (HBA, drivers, etc)

:)

But thanks for the info! I found that info and immediately hacked the INF a few ago - pretty much after I posted the above. FYI, you don't have to uninstall... Just modify them, force the install of the unsigned drivers, and you'll have two to pick from - one signed and one unsigned. Take a guess which you want to install. :)

That is exactly what i did to get the directly-connected drives spinning down, and it works now. It has cut my idle down to around 130W now (I'm building a new low-power server with this chassis).

But, my post was asking has anyone with the Expanders got their drives to spin down.
And that's what I was saying as well. I've had both the Supermicro SAS1/SAS2 backplanes, the Rackable SE3016 SAS1 backplanes, HP 24 port expander, Chenbro 24 port expander... :) and all of them have worked.

Reactions: eduncan911