Trouble with SM SC846 and Asus MB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
when using SM PSU, make sure plug firmly atx and eps12v...

I had one stupid mistake at one time due on excitement having SM case at the first time,
eps12V was connected, but did not have good connector contact.
Can be switched off and on via power button and just give a blank screen :D/

one last option, try on another motherboard with SM PSU...
I will check this today no doubt. But I think it was plugged in right. Tried a couple of times to unplug.

I also got my fingers on 2 other PSU's I can test with. So my fingers are crossed all day :D

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Alright now I have double checked that the cable is plugged in firmly. Actually I found out my MB lights red if the eps12v isn't connected, so it is connected.

I tried with both PSU's I loaned one and one. No luck. Meassured voltage on the eps12v - 12v.
Took removed the cables and plugged the old ATX psu in and could start once again.

Really running out of options here. Can't test with another MB, because I haven't got one.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
This problem is perplexing me too. If I had motherboards available other than SM I'd try some things for you.

Sorry I can't help more.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
This problem is perplexing me too. If I had motherboards available other than SM I'd try some things for you.

Sorry I can't help more.
Beginning to think I need a SM MB. Just sucks if that doesn't work either :)

Would a x9dr7-tf+ work in sc846?

Edit: I have written to supermicro support, hope they can help

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I don't see why it wouldn't.

I have 2011-v3 and 2011-v1/v2 boards in the SuperMicro 846.

I believe my home AIO server is similar model # to the one you just mentioned even, running fine.

Before you buy new, let me know I'm going through my last 5 or so 2011-v1/v2 boards and will be selling 2-3 likely, as I don't have the CPUs I want for these builds, and will be going v3 moving forward.

Reactions: neo and sonicz

sonicz

May 21, 2013
I don't see why it wouldn't.

I have 2011-v3 and 2011-v1/v2 boards in the SuperMicro 846.

I believe my home AIO server is similar model # to the one you just mentioned even, running fine.

Before you buy new, let me know I'm going through my last 5 or so 2011-v1/v2 boards and will be selling 2-3 likely, as I don't have the CPUs I want for these builds, and will be going v3 moving forward.
Alright thanks for Quick answer :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
No problem. I will have time in 2-3 weeks if you are wanting to keep that board, I'd test her for ya if you want.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
No problem. I will have time in 2-3 weeks if you are wanting to keep that board, I'd test her for ya if you want.
Really nice of you :) - But I am from Denmark, so bit of a trip.

SM Support has written back that they think it is a compatible issue and asked for my S/N on the case. Currently waiting on their conviction. Right now I kinda hope it isn't compatible, because then there is nothing wrong with my equipment and I can begin looking for some replacement HW. Maybe I will run 2 hosts then :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well, that's great news! Let's hope they can solve it or you can upgrade ;) and get more gear....wohooo

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Well, that's great news! Let's hope they can solve it or you can upgrade ;) and get more gear....wohooo
Yeah could be an awesome excuse to get new gear :cool:, although I would be looking for a E5 v2, v3 is too expensive for me right now and E3 is just too limited on ram.

Reactions: T_Minus

maze

Apr 27, 2013
See... told you that you should have bought a SM board from the beginning ;)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
It's per socket. And if you need a combo I just posted one with that exact mobo. Here

sonicz

May 21, 2013
For those whom might be interested, I just bought a E5-2648L v2 with shipping for 300 US with shipping and ordered a X9DRI-F in hope of getting my server running again, with some added power :) Just hope I can use my current non-ECC ram to begin with (drained of dollars)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Looks like it will take non ECC UDIMMs but you're limited to 128gb.