Trouble with SM SC846 and Asus MB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Hi All

Hope someone can help me out here. Im blowing my mind.

First I found out that I need a adapter for reset sw, power sw etc, after I had moved my server into this new awesome case.

Then today I got the adapter in the mail - YAY!... Atleast I thought.

When I plug the server in, the PSU fan spins and the MB (P9D WS) lights up. I hit the power button and the fans etc comes to life. But nothing else happens? - I tried everything, ram, cpu, reset cmos, went over all the cables 3 times. Then at last I tried using af normal ATX psu and bam! - The server lid up.

But this not a nice current situation, specially when I recieve HDDs tommorrow and a new UPS wensday.

Can anybody help me out with what I am missing or doing wrong?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Either the PSU is bad or it's not compatible with a standard MB. This is one reason why I decided to go with SM MB's known to work with this box.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Either the PSU is bad or it's not compatible with a standard MB. This is one reason why I decided to go with SM MB's known to work with this box.
Okay, tried both psu's. Maybe you are Right about compatible.
Hope someone Can tell this for sure. Before I find a supermicro board :/

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
No doubt some wizard here knows for sure but being it's Sunday you might have to wait till tomorrow. Good luck.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Are the PSU pushed all the way and 'locked' into place? I've had some weirdness with them barely making before.

I'm not sure about your motherboard, but on most you can easily jump the 'on' pins with a screwdriver to get it to turn on, maybe try that to eliminate potential troubleshooting time with the switches/adapters/etc, as this will be the 'raw' "on/off". Just touch the pins and it should turn on.

*** NOTE *** If you're not careful you could theoretically short something so be careful. I've seen motherboards go up in smoke from people screwing around jumping wrong things.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Are the PSU pushed all the way and 'locked' into place? I've had some weirdness with them barely making before.

I'm not sure about your motherboard, but on most you can easily jump the 'on' pins with a screwdriver to get it to turn on, maybe try that to eliminate potential troubleshooting time with the switches/adapters/etc, as this will be the 'raw' "on/off". Just touch the pins and it should turn on.

*** NOTE *** If you're not careful you could theoretically short something so be careful. I've seen motherboards go up in smoke from people screwing around jumping wrong things.
Maybe I wasn't all clear :) The PSU is on and I am able to turn it on. Fan and all spin up. But I don't get any Picture. The only way I can get Picture is with a normal ATX PSU.
I am only using 1 psu. I have tried switching them around and also tried both slots with the same result.

So I can turn the server on, but never boots with the 900W SM PSU.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Onboard video?

Power to video card with both PSU testing? (If needed)

sonicz

May 21, 2013
Onboard video?
Nope just some small low powered pci-e Card.

So only getting power from the pci-e port.

I do not have to run both psu's at the same time right? - one is pulled out.

At the moment, there is only a lsi 2108, 2 SSD's and 1 HDD connected. So not alot of power is consumed.

sonicz

May 21, 2013

BTW i'm not sure what this cable is for, its with the SM PSU cable bundle. - Maybe that is the reason for it not working. But if it is, any suggestions to do with it?

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Alright, do you know if its needed for it to work? - Because i'm pretty sure my motherboard doesn't support that. Atleast nothing in the manual.
just ignore that.
I believe your motherboard does not support PMBus, just put the tape on the connector and forget it :D.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are you sure PSU is power ON? since SM PSU unit will spinning the fan on standby/off mode :D..

on my experience:
Already transplanted non SM motherboard to SM 826,836,and 846 server case. I just rewired with hobby-kits breadboard wires (cheap on ebay, $3 can get a bunch) from the front connector SM case (no need to get converter) to transplanted motherboard.
by the way... those three transplanted with lenovo TS140/440. were pretty cheap ,
the only I bought was Lenovo motherboad ATX cable to standard ATX cable.

do you have a picture connected SM ATX cable to motherboard?

sonicz

May 21, 2013
just ignore that.
I believe your motherboard does not support PMBus, just put the tape on the connector and forget it :D.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are you sure PSU is power ON? since SM PSU unit will spinning the fan on standby/off mode :D..

on my experience:
Already transplanted non SM motherboard to SM 826,836,and 846 server case. I just rewired with hobby-kits breadboard wires (cheap on ebay, $3 can get a bunch) from the front connector SM case (no need to get converter) to transplanted motherboard.
by the way... those three transplanted with lenovo TS140/440. were pretty cheap ,
the only I bought was Lenovo motherboad ATX cable to standard ATX cable.

do you have a picture connected SM ATX cable to motherboard?
Yes im sure its on :) When I hit power all case fans are starting up, so they get some sort of power, just no post screen.

I don't have a picture of it right now, server is currently on with a ATX psu. - but I can maybe grab one tomorrow if needed :)

But am I understanding you right, do you have a adapter to the ATX cable? - because it seems to fit just fine as it is.

I have the adapter for power button etc.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Yes im sure its on :) When I hit power all case fans are starting up, so they get some sort of power, just no post screen.

I don't have a picture of it right now, server is currently on with a ATX psu. - but I can maybe grab one tomorrow if needed :)

But am I understanding you right, do you have a adapter to the ATX cable? - because it seems to fit just fine as it is.

I have the adapter for power button etc.
SM ATX cable is standard ATX, I need to buy adapter due on lenovo 14 pin ATX (non standard).
did you forget to plug eps12V to motherboard?

sonicz

May 21, 2013
SM ATX cable is standard ATX, I need to buy adapter due on lenovo 14 pin ATX (non standard).
did you forget to plug eps12V to motherboard?
It is plugged in, just as it is now from the normal ATX PSU. Even tried both eps12V in the cabinet.

Guess I will try to get a adapter from molex to eps12V and see how that goes. I'm loosing my mind here.

It wouldn't make any diffrence to plug both PSU's in, would it?

neo

Mar 18, 2015
The only way you can rule out if the Supermicro PSUs are faulty is to connect them to another motherboard, besides your Asus P9D WS. Preferably a Supermicro motherboard, which I personally would have purchased over the Asus.

sonicz

May 21, 2013
The only way you can rule out if the Supermicro PSUs are faulty is to connect them to another motherboard, besides your Asus P9D WS. Preferably a Supermicro motherboard, which I personally would have purchased over the Asus.
Okay I havent got any SM in stuck. But I can borrow 2 similar PSU's from a friend, but his isn't tested either.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
BTW i'm not sure what this cable is for, its with the SM PSU cable bundle. - Maybe that is the reason for it not working. But if it is, any suggestions to do with it?
That's the cable that let's your motherboard see power consumption. New servers you can read power straight from ipmi if that cable is connected.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
It is plugged in, just as it is now from the normal ATX PSU. Even tried both eps12V in the cabinet.

Guess I will try to get a adapter from molex to eps12V and see how that goes. I'm loosing my mind here.

It wouldn't make any diffrence to plug both PSU's in, would it?
when using SM PSU, make sure plug firmly atx and eps12v...

I had one stupid mistake at one time due on excitement having SM case at the first time,
eps12V was connected, but did not have good connector contact.
Can be switched off and on via power button and just give a blank screen :D/

one last option, try on another motherboard with SM PSU...