Getting vPro remote KVM working on Minisforum MS-01

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

webmaster

Jan 26, 2024
Sort of on topic:

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant Configuration Tool (Intel® EMA Configuration Tool) . You can reset the AMT/EMA from the command

line

Intel® Converged Security and Management Engine Version Detection Tool (Intel® CSMEVDT)

which gives this output.

View attachment 34573

It looks like the motherboard manufactuer/OEM is on the hook to update and fix this.

I'm not holding my breath...
What are the detected vulnerabilities? Anything relevant for a single-user setup?

Is it possible to assign the GPU to a host and use vPro to manage the hypervisor (Proxmox/KVM)?

Last edited:

webmaster

Jan 26, 2024
Sort of on topic:

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant Configuration Tool (Intel® EMA Configuration Tool) . You can reset the AMT/EMA from the command

line

Intel® Converged Security and Management Engine Version Detection Tool (Intel® CSMEVDT)

which gives this output.

View attachment 34573

It looks like the motherboard manufactuer/OEM is on the hook to update and fix this.

I'm not holding my breath...
Seems to be, among others: NVD - CVE-2022-30601
9.8 score (out of 10..). Best to disable AMT/vPro until this is fixed, or at least to only allow it on one interface, connected to a protected management network.

No BIOS update released yet. I checked for BIOS updates for their other products, but there are not many. There is no change log either, so I tried downloading one in the hope that a changelog would be included in the zip file. That was not possible though:
1708185938579.png
I am not using Mediafire. It looks like Minisforum is, and their business partner deems their BIOS updates malicious..

What a shame, I thought the MS-01 was the perfect home server and firewall.

emme222

Jan 17, 2023
If anyone figures out how to keep vpro online while the machine is off please let me know. I feel like I have tried everything.
Working pefectly fine for me.
I am just using the LM interface for management, so I always have another interface always up (ixl0 with transceiver in). Maybe that matters.

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
Working pefectly fine for me.
I am just using the LM interface for management, so I always have another interface always up (ixl0 with transceiver in). Maybe that matters.
I figured it was Unraid, Windows works fine. LM port shuts off when I power down Unraid. No lights flashing on LM port WOL doesnt work etc.

I had problems trying to run everything through LM port. Once I used another port vPRO worked great except when I shut down Unraid.

Last edited:
Reactions: emme222

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
I fight with my ms-01 with no success.
No connection with meshcommander. I use mesh commander with node.
I also have a problem. Booting require password not just for entering bios setup. Do you know how to boot without password?

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
I fight with my ms-01 with no success.
No connection with meshcommander. I use mesh commander with node.
I also have a problem. Booting require password not just for entering bios setup. Do you know how to boot without password?
I would try resetting bios to defaults and turn off the security password in bios. MeshCommander steps to get it working have been shared above.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
I put a password to be able to disable secure boot (using unraid).
I haven't seen any option to boot without password. I guess i have to find how to reset bios. I suppose there might be a battery to remove or a jumper to clear cmos (last time i had to reset bios was with my 486 :confused:)
For meshcommander i tried what's above with no luck.

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
Didn't manage to reset bios but succeeded kvm access.
For that i used meshcentral. I had no success with meshcommander

caplam

Dec 12, 2018
Yes i tried with tls and as i said i can access https://ip:16993 but it's useless as. it doesn't include kvm.
I tried mesh commander on my mac with npm and on unraid in a docker without success.
With meshcentral it works from my mac or in docker on unraid

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
Yes i tried with tls and as i said i can access https://ip:16993 but it's useless as. it doesn't include kvm.
I tried mesh commander on my mac with npm and on unraid in a docker without success.
With meshcentral it works from my mac or in docker on unraid
That must be why it's not working for you I was testing in Windows with version 0.9.6. I really wanted to make vpro work but at the end of the day I gave up just too may negative quirks and poor adoption.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Guys anyone got any temperature info of this vPro thing? neither with MeshCommander or direct with HTTPS it gives any temperature information.

webmaster

Jan 26, 2024
How do you reset the Intel ME password? It asks me to enter the "current password", but I have never entered a password. Is there a default password?