Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mietzen

Dec 25, 2023
Hey all, just wanted to send this along.
I've got 4 of the M90q Gen3 65w i5-12500's with x16 risers and have added the Dell branded Mellanox Connectx-4 LX cards to mine.

Initially they were just floating around the back but decided to have my hand at modifying a 3D model someone made for a different card to see if I could make one compatible with these.

The result is a fully functional baffle that holds the card firmly without any clearance issues and also uses the original screws from both the card, and the chassis.

Here you go.
Lenovo M90q Gen3 ConnectX-4 LX (Dell CX4121C) Dual 25G Baffle Remixed by Chewza

I went with a similar solution for the X550, But I'm using USB to power the fan (The Fan is mounted with a little PCB standoff):

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7122.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7130.jpg

IMG_7131.jpg

The USB connecter barely fits through the hole next to the ethernet port.

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
the size should be less than 8 KB after compression

same happen to me I lost the Logo > now I'm try to get a Dump from a working and reflash it again if you manage to restore the Logo or flash an other please let me know

I got the GUID of the Lenovo logo using UEFITool_NE_A68_win64

search this GUID : 6C9013D0-4059-4723-AF2A-05E63FFECF19 and export the the body with .RAW

trying to recreate an image from it but same issue

I will replay to you if I find something new
I just grabbed the latest bios from the lenovo website and reflashed it and it was fine :)

I'll have to try the 8kb limit and see if that was the problem. The script ran ok though.

Reactions: username1

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
Does anyone know of an easy way to set up bios/vpro settings consistently across 4 m920qs? I would prefer not to do them all by hand...

mietzen

Dec 25, 2023
Does anyone know of an easy way to set up bios/vpro settings consistently across 4 m920qs? I would prefer not to do them all by hand...
I think there is a cli flash utility in the windows download that had the ability to import/export settings. But I never tried it.

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
I think there is a cli flash utility in the windows download that had the ability to import/export settings. But I never tried it.
Can you point me to what you're talking about? I have linux on all of them but I suppose I could boot into windows to import all the settings if it makes it easier...

mietzen

Dec 25, 2023
Last edited:
Reactions: kayson

aruffell

Sep 22, 2023
I have a couple m920q (modded to x) and a p360 tiny. All 3 Tiny PCs are running Proxmox and all 3 have a Mellanox CX322A 10GbE 2 port SFP+ NIC.

All 3 nodes exhibit the same problem where the ethernet link stays down if the port goes down and then back up. I am unable to find anything on the Proxmox side, so I am wondering whether it is a hardware issue (I doubt it as it also happens with the plug in NIC) but worth checking. Anyone have any suggestions?

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
I have a couple m920q (modded to x) and a p360 tiny. All 3 Tiny PCs are running Proxmox and all 3 have a Mellanox CX322A 10GbE 2 port SFP+ NIC.

All 3 nodes exhibit the same problem where the ethernet link stays down if the port goes down and then back up. I am unable to find anything on the Proxmox side, so I am wondering whether it is a hardware issue (I doubt it as it also happens with the plug in NIC) but worth checking. Anyone have any suggestions?
What do you mean the ethernet link stays down if the port goes down and up? If you disconnect and reconnect the cable, you see the link state in ip link stay DOWN?

truongnht

Oct 25, 2023
For everyone needing this in the future.
I delidded my i7-8700 and now have maximum of 80C with stress-ng and Full Fan Speed. :cool:
With the stock M720Q headsink (35W)
nice, share me your experience with the delidding, Thaliya. I also have M720q and wanna install i7-8700

mietzen

Dec 25, 2023
For everyone needing this in the future.
I delidded my i7-8700 and now have maximum of 80C with stress-ng and Full Fan Speed. :cool:
With the stock M720Q headsink (35W)
Did you just replace the thermal paste between die and heat spreader? And what did you use? Liquid Metal?

sloppyjoe

Mar 1, 2024
Just wanted to thank everyone for this amazing thread. Just bought myself a m920q off of eBay for a great price. Waiting for my PCIe adapter to arrive and then I'll have three GBE ports and will be perfectly setup for pfSense. Under full load this badboy is drawing less than 28 watts of power and averaging around 19 watts which is a third of what my old pfSense box was doing (and its almost twice as powerful!).

Once the PCIe adapter arrives I'll be connecting a Intel PRO/1000 two port NIC. Not sure if this has been shared before but this bracket fits perfectly to secure the card in the case: Lenovo Tiny PCI-E Bracket - Intel PRO/1000 by Unsnoozual

Again, thanks for all the useful information everyone!

Reactions: evil_santa

Earru

Feb 11, 2024
I am using a P3 Tiny - do you all know what riser card and single/dual slot (SFP+ or RJ45) is compatible, ideally one that doesn't overheat?

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
I use this one:

it fits a x550 and x710
@Earru don't use this riser, it will fry your motherboard. I believe the P3 Tiny is the same as an M90q Gen 3, so as per the first post you should use riser part number 5C50W00910.

Reactions: Earru

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I have an M90q gen 3 so "Tiny8" and running a quadro k620.
I am running VLC Media Player (not sure why hdhomerun x7 stopped working) and maxing out the card.
Since the space is limited, trying to see if there is a better card to run that will fit.

I mean, cmon, watch 7 tv channels at once? during football, yes....

plan on hooking up to a projector on 240" screen (already do this on my neighbors blow up screen and it is awesome on one football game)
but the plans are to watch a major football game large, then a subset that I can get on smaller screens for a visual of what is going on...

so I am cranked at 100% GPU usage but it does work so I just need something with a LIL more kick... heck dont have to be a quadro, if something else fits the performance bill... on benchmark site it is listed at 2239 where Radeon RX 550x comes in at 2254 and struggles to get 3 cable and 3 OTA... quadro k620 is handling 4 OTA and 3 cable.... barely, but is... lol

20240305_203035.jpg