12gen N-series Nas motherboard (topton, cwwk, ... )

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

flobert

Sep 3, 2019
Reactions: FunkStar

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
On the BKHD 1264 board does anyone know how to access the more detailed PCIE configuration bios settings? There doesn't seem to be any way to access them in the bios. I also tried the AMI hidden settings keys - alt-f1/shift-f1/ctrl-f1 but that didn't seem to do anything.

The issue I'm trying to address is the JMB58x chip is set to pcie 2 speeds - 5GT/s x 1 lane. 500MB/s shared between 5 SATA ports is pretty awful.
Yes i also see that bios is limited and cant access hidden menu. I ask is newer bios then that from 21.12.2023 exist but thay say not. And when i opened bios file in bios editing software (that i dont know how to use) i see all sorts of options

FunkStar

Jan 10, 2024
Now available on CWWK.

What CPU do you actually get?

AMD:
  • 7735HS
  • 7840HS
  • 8845HS
  • 7940HS
On the CWWK site I can only see model: "only motherboard" and "RH-7840 HS + radiator side".
And I can't find it on the CWWK ali store.

The 7735HS isn't a great deal, that's Zen 3 (or 3+), talking about AMD motherboards then the Minisforum BD770i looks good too.
But no idea if this all still fits in the topic "12gen N-series Nas motherboard (topton, cwwk, ... )"

Maybe create "AMD Nas motherboards (topton, cwwk,...)"?

Zer0_C00L

Jun 18, 2023
Question is if buying 2 nmve asm1166 6 sata ports adaptor to plug in 2 m.2 ports on board and disable onboard sata controller be able to put cpu in lower c state
If you're planning to do this, you might be better off getting one of the router board configurations, since they'll have more usable PCIe lanes for your purposes.

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
If you're planning to do this, you might be better off getting one of the router board configurations, since they'll have more usable PCIe lanes for your purposes.
I already have bkhd n100 board and i have some problems with drives spin down using unraid

chdnlsn

Feb 9, 2024
Hello world,

I just registered to this forum, as I found this thread about the Intel n305 NAS Motherboards out there.
Last week my n305 NAS board arrived (I am in Germany), I did order the DC Version with the backside installed RAM and SSDs.

Some findings I can share here as of now:
- powertop shows me C10 state to a high percentage, besides that available states are C8, C6 and C1E.
- Loading one CPU it clocks up to 3.8Ghz as advertised, loading all 8 cores, they reach a max of 3Ghz.
- The small connector next to the SATA Ports, advertised as 2,5/3,5" power connector are no standard Floppy or SATA power connectors. The two 4pin ATX connectors though might be the same as here:
Will order one of them and test out.
- I am running my system with one stick of 48GB Crucial DDR5 and it works well so far.
- Have one Intel Optane with 118GB, currently holding my Proxmox installation and one more 1TB Viper SSD.
Idle power draw is 15W (powered by this DC adapter: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B59519YG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details )
Honestly, I was hoping for less idle power consumption, more down to 10W.
- Running sysbench on all CPU cores, power consumption goes up to ~42W
- I want to test the same setup with a 150W ATX Power Supply I have still around using the internal 12V ATX connector that is located right behind the DC jack.

Let me know, if anyone is interested in getting more details from this board.
I received this board yesterday as well. Running the same RAM which works well. I am using a Crucial P3 500GB NVMe drive which also seems to be working well. Did you make any progress with any cables that you'd use to power HDDs?

Pirke

Feb 4, 2024
I received this board yesterday as well. Running the same RAM which works well. I am using a Crucial P3 500GB NVMe drive which also seems to be working well. Did you make any progress with any cables that you'd use to power HDDs?
I ordered this one for a Lenovo PC, https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09MC9YCCC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details but the 4 pin connector is to small for the Board, thus I have ordered a plain ATX 4 Pin connector and will build my own adapter cable out of it.

Yes please! Let us know how reliable the board is.There's a bunch of bad experiences floating around, but it's difficult to judge the reliability if only bad experiences get posted. I'm interested in stability and thermal information. What kind of case are you using? I'm surprised to see you get deep sleep (>C8) even with the JMB585 on that board. Did you connect any drive to the SATA connectors and checked the power usage?
I am not running it24/7 at the moment, as I am not planning to use it as NAS, but more as a virtualization host to run some virtual machines and containers.
I have no SATA connected at this time, maybe that's why I am reaching deep sleep states. But still even without SATA and deep sleep, I find the 17W idle consumption a bit hight.
My NUC8i3 idles (with one DIMM and one SSD, no monitor, just ETH connected) at 3W, when enabling deep states and 5W without deep states, so I am kind of surprised that this package is that high on the consumption.
But that's also the reason I am not planning on running this board 24/7, because for the always up services, I use the NUC hosting Nextcloud and my NAS just powers on once a day to take a backup from the cloud storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaetano

linuxgangster

Dec 10, 2023
I purchased the CWWK i3-N305 six-bay NAS monster board/4x 2.5G/6x SATA3.0/2x M.2 back in early december.

It is a little janky at times when booting but it has been really stable for me. I am running it with 32g of ram and 6 spinning drives (stripe/mirror multiple vdev) in Truenas.

I purchased a MCX311A-XCAT ConnectX-3 hoping to get it going in the X1 slot so I can have 10G. I plugged the card in and Truenas does not find it. lspci -vvv shows nothing. I tried a 2.5Gbe PCIe x1 card and it shows up fine. The bios is a little wild trying to understand everything so I am not sure if there is anything special I need to do to make it read the 10gbe sfp card.

Anyone have any suggestions?

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
Maybe card is broken or truenas not have drivers, try alternative os to test like unraid or openmediavault

SunnyCloudy

Feb 9, 2024
Trying to buy the CWWK N305 NAS monster board but its out of stock everywhere on aliexpress and can't really find it anywhere else... only the n100 is available. Anybody know when it's going to be available again or should I just go for the n100 version? I would have liked the more cores for more VMs. I asked the CWWK store for availability but no reply yet.

Also, how is that JMB585 chip configured, how many lanes are going to it? They say 1 sata port is native and the other 5 are powered by the JMB585 chip. I want to put 5 hdds to it, can it handle 5x250 mb/s?

My usecase would be like this
  1. Proxmox install on the 2x m.2 nvme in zfs mirror.
    • I know the speed on the nvmes is limited to like 800-900 mb/s, that's fine.
    • I also know I wont be able to use the PCIe slot anymore, that's also fine.
  2. Install 5x HDDs on the JMB585 controller in zfs raidz2
    • Will the chip support 5x HDDs on it at 250mb/s? Does it have enough pcie lanes / bandwith?
    • I don't know yet if I want to create the zfs in proxmox or passthrough the JMB585 controller to a TrueNAS VM
    • Should I use the native SATA and only 4 ports on the JMB585? But then can I pass the native SATA to the TrueNAS VM?
  3. Don't care about power efficiency
    • My 5x HDDs will never spin down, there will always have activity on them (seedbox)

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
On my BKHD N100 my drives when running unraid parity run in range of 170-100mb/s from start to finish (drives are 2x4tb wd white, 1x8tb wd white and 1x3tb wd green)

Last edited:

chdnlsn

Feb 9, 2024
Trying to buy the CWWK N305 NAS monster board but its out of stock everywhere on aliexpress and can't really find it anywhere else... only the n100 is available. Anybody know when it's going to be available again or should I just go for the n100 version? I would have liked the more cores for more VMs. I asked the CWWK store for availability but no reply yet.

Also, how is that JMB585 chip configured, how many lanes are going to it? They say 1 sata port is native and the other 5 are powered by the JMB585 chip. I want to put 5 hdds to it, can it handle 5x250 mb/s?

My usecase would be like this
  1. Proxmox install on the 2x m.2 nvme in zfs mirror.
    • I know the speed on the nvmes is limited to like 800-900 mb/s, that's fine.
    • I also know I wont be able to use the PCIe slot anymore, that's also fine.
  2. Install 5x HDDs on the JMB585 controller in zfs raidz2
    • Will the chip support 5x HDDs on it at 250mb/s? Does it have enough pcie lanes / bandwith?
    • I don't know yet if I want to create the zfs in proxmox or passthrough the JMB585 controller to a TrueNAS VM
    • Should I use the native SATA and only 4 ports on the JMB585? But then can I pass the native SATA to the TrueNAS VM?
  3. Don't care about power efficiency
    • My 5x HDDs will never spin down, there will always have activity on them (seedbox)
I have the DC version of the board but my JMB585 looks to be connect at PCIe 2x1:

Code:
05:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 129
        Region 0: I/O ports at 3200 [size=128]
        Region 1: I/O ports at 3180 [size=128]
        Region 2: I/O ports at 3100 [size=128]
        Region 3: I/O ports at 3080 [size=128]
        Region 4: I/O ports at 3000 [size=128]
        Region 5: Memory at 81110000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        Expansion ROM at 81100000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=8/8 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 00000000fee00418  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [c0] Express (v2) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 512 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <1us, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
                DevCtl: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM not supported
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot- ASPMOptComp+
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes, Disabled- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1
                        TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range B, TimeoutDis+ NROPrPrP- LTR-
                         10BitTagComp- 10BitTagReq- OBFF Via message, ExtFmt+ EETLPPrefix-
                         EmergencyPowerReduction Not Supported, EmergencyPowerReductionInit-
                         FRS-
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit+ 64bit+ 128bitCAS+
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis- LTR- 10BitTagReq- OBFF Disabled,
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
                LnkCap2: Supported Link Speeds: 2.5-5GT/s, Crosslink- Retimer- 2Retimers- DRS-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 8GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance Preset/De-emphasis: -6dB de-emphasis, 0dB preshoot
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete- EqualizationPhase1-
                         EqualizationPhase2- EqualizationPhase3- LinkEqualizationRequest-
                         Retimer- 2Retimers- CrosslinkRes: unsupported
        Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr-
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 00, ECRCGenCap+ ECRCGenEn- ECRCChkCap+ ECRCChkEn-
                        MultHdrRecCap- MultHdrRecEn- TLPPfxPres- HdrLogCap-
                HeaderLog: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
        Capabilities: [150 v1] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
        Capabilities: [160 v1] Power Budgeting <?>
        Capabilities: [1b8 v1] Latency Tolerance Reporting
                Max snoop latency: 0ns
                Max no snoop latency: 0ns
        Capabilities: [300 v1] Secondary PCI Express
                LnkCtl3: LnkEquIntrruptEn- PerformEqu-
                LaneErrStat: 0
        Capabilities: [900 v1] L1 PM Substates
                L1SubCap: PCI-PM_L1.2- PCI-PM_L1.1- ASPM_L1.2- ASPM_L1.1- L1_PM_Substates-
                L1SubCtl1: PCI-PM_L1.2- PCI-PM_L1.1- ASPM_L1.2- ASPM_L1.1-
                L1SubCtl2:
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci

linuxgangster

Dec 10, 2023
Maybe card is broken or truenas not have drivers, try alternative os to test like unraid or openmediavault
Tried the card in another machine and it works fine. I also tried a Marvell AQtion AQC107 10gbe card and no go. I know the slot works withPCIe 3.0 X1 cards because my 2.5gbe nics work fine. I wonder if there is something in the bios I have to set to make this work. Both cards I tried do not show in lspci output and the new AQC107 I put in doesn't even light up when I plug an ethernet cable in.

NeutronWave

Feb 10, 2024
Hi all. Just got the CWWK N305 board (CW-ADLN-NAS, black board), running BIOS v2.22.1287. Paired it with a 16GB stick of Samsung M425R2GA3BBO-COKOL ram. No errors with Memtest (8 passes of all tests, c.6 hours total), so hopefully this will work well with the board.

One question: the board doesn't seem to be clear on which are the + and - pins for the PW LED and HD LED. How have you guys connected this? Don't want necessarily fry something.

Photo below (sorry for blurriness):

linuxgangster

Dec 10, 2023
Just wanted to report I finally found a 10gbe card that works. I just remembered I had an old 10G qnap card sitting around (need to sell my old qnap since replacing it with truenas). Here is the card info using lspci:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
Subsystem: QNAP Systems, Inc. QM2-2P10G1TA [QXG 10GbE Network Adapter]

I believe the model to buy is QXG-10G1T (way over priced). Its a PCIe Gen3.0 X4. I still cannot figure out why the other two cards I tried don't work but this one does. I haven't fully tested it out but I did a copy of a VM and it seemed to max out around 7G. Way better then 2.5G and honestly that 7G is likely max'ing out my spinning drive raid array.

Klez

Sep 4, 2022
Just wanted to report I finally found a 10gbe card that works. I just remembered I had an old 10G qnap card sitting around (need to sell my old qnap since replacing it with truenas). Here is the card info using lspci:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] (rev 02)
Subsystem: QNAP Systems, Inc. QM2-2P10G1TA [QXG 10GbE Network Adapter]

I believe the model to buy is QXG-10G1T (way over priced). Its a PCIe Gen3.0 X4. I still cannot figure out why the other two cards I tried don't work but this one does. I haven't fully tested it out but I did a copy of a VM and it seemed to max out around 7G. Way better then 2.5G and honestly that 7G is likely max'ing out my spinning drive raid array.
Great find with this QNAP card, thx. It is too expensive though...maybe some brand on the same chip could work.

I'm also struggling with MCX311A-XCAT ConnectX-3 - from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005797688892.html.
Can't make it work with N305 CWWK board 1X PCIe slot - trying it on proxmox(debian). I also tested it in m.2 to pcie riser, it didn't help.
It works in other box full PCIe slot on Rocky Linux though.

I've seen reports that this card (or similar) is working with X1 slot - Using 10Gb adaptor in PCIe 1x slot (An Unraid 10Gb journey)

There are million options in bios for PCIe slots. Maybe one of them could help us? :)

linuxgangster

Dec 10, 2023
Great find with this QNAP card, thx. It is too expensive though...maybe some brand on the same chip could work.

I'm also struggling with MCX311A-XCAT ConnectX-3 - from https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005797688892.html.
Can't make it work with N305 CWWK board 1X PCIe slot - trying it on proxmox(debian). I also tested it in m.2 to pcie riser, it didn't help.
It works in other box full PCIe slot on Rocky Linux though.

I've seen reports that this card (or similar) is working with X1 slot - Using 10Gb adaptor in PCIe 1x slot (An Unraid 10Gb journey)

There are million options in bios for PCIe slots. Maybe one of them could help us? :)
I spent about 4 hours trying different settings and never could find a combination. The fact that the 2 cards i mentioned never powered up or showed up in linux using lspci tells me it has something to do with power. I know my way around Linux (been using it since 1997) but honestly I am lacking hardware skills for anything since pcie came out. Sure I know how to build a PC but I have to look up a good majority of the settings around PCIe and modern bios'es.

Hopefully someone can figure out whats going on here. So far this board has been stable for me. No crashes since I bought it. Before I tried this 10gbe card setup I had an uptime over a month with a very heavily used Truenas setup and 32G ram.