Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Last edited:
Reactions: blunden

ccelebiler

Jan 20, 2024

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
There's a video out now of the 1U verison
Nice find! It makes sense for them to offer a rack mount version too for those that prefer that.

I wonder how hot that thing runs though since it doesn't appear to have much in the way of heatsinks for the CPU, at least what we can see. Perhaps the underside isn't just a flat piece of metal? :)

It's also the shallowest rack mount chassi I think I've ever seen. :D

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Nice find! It makes sense for them to offer a rack mount version too for those that prefer that.

I wonder how hot that thing runs though since it doesn't appear to have much in the way of heatsinks for the CPU, at least what we can see. Perhaps the underside isn't just a flat piece of metal? :)

It's also the shallowest rack mount chassi I think I've ever seen. :D
Rack mount has a fan underneath, last 5-10secs vid, and vents on either side, which I assume takes the place of the chassis heatsink (but no fan) of the original model.

Reactions: blunden

Gibson05

Jan 12, 2024
Rack mount has a fan underneath, last 5-10secs vid, and vents on either side, which I assume takes the place of the chassis heatsink (but no fan) of the original model.
I got one on order. I plan on putting a 40mm on the side with the power supply to get more airflow through it. Alo plan on taking it apart first to see if there is any heatsink on the bottom or just a fan.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I got one on order. I plan on putting a 40mm on the side with the power supply to get more airflow through it. Also plan on taking it apart first to see if there is any heatsink on the bottom or just a fan.
Great! :D Make sure to take some pictures of the cooling when you open it up. :)

Someone in the YouTube comments mentioned that he had bought the motherboard separately before, and that it included a cooler. They might use the same heatsink on this model.

Are they shipping them yet or was it a preorder? I'm perfectly content with my non-rackmount unit so it's not for me either way. I'm just curious. :)

intelic76

Jan 19, 2024
Yeah, the cable wiring is indeed different. I had figured that the power connections were different, and based on others comments I have successfully rewired my cable for the proper +5v power and ground pinout, and so far seems to be working. Messing with getting the sfp+ ports working now.

Reactions: Marjan

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Yeah, the cable wiring is indeed different. I had figured that the power connections were different, and based on others comments I have successfully rewired my cable for the proper +5v power and ground pinout, and so far seems to be working. Messing with getting the sfp+ ports working now.
Great!

The SFP+ ports work perfectly fine with either an old kernel or the Intel out-of-tree version of the ixgbe driver. Reverting that one commit and recompiling the in-kernel driver is likely also a solution. :)

Btw. Is the serial console working for you? I don't get any output from mine, but I might be doing something wrong. :D

intelic76

Jan 19, 2024
Haven't tried the serial console yet... going to attempt to use the other driver as soon as I get truenas booted on it for testing and as some service starts up, the link goes down.

PatrickM

Jan 26, 2024
Just FYI, I was able to get the 10GB networking with generic Amazon optical transceivers to work on Proxmox 8 when used as a secondary bridge, vmbr1, and not the primary bridge vmbr0. For some reason eno1-4 will not function correctly on vmbr0 and I have to assign one of the 2.5GB ethernet ports to that bridge.

Gibson05

Jan 12, 2024
Got my 1U version in today. Order from the Qotom store on Aliexpress and it took 11 days to get here in the states from the day I ordered. It actually came decently packed. It has a heatsink on the bottom and exhaust out the side. Also added a pic of the power supply. It does come with rack ears and a power cord.

Attachments

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Got my 1U version in today. Order from the Qotom store on Aliexpress and it took 11 days to get here in the states from the day I ordered. It actually came decently packed. It has a heatsink on the bottom and exhaust out the side. Also added a pic of the power supply. It does come with rack ears and a power cord.
Looks like it has pretty decent cooling and also a power supply from a good well-known brand. :)

My non-rack unit also had a good PSU from a well-known brand (CWT), so perhaps that's not just a "luck of the draw" kind of thing. :D

PedanticAvenger

Jan 31, 2024
JUST after I received my units. Doesn't it figure.....
I hope someone offers the rackmount chassis sans MB so I can just move over. That is a much better form factor for me.

Looks like it has pretty decent cooling and also a power supply from a good well-known brand. :)

My non-rack unit also had a good PSU from a well-known brand (CWT), so perhaps that's not just a "luck of the draw" kind of thing. :D

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
JUST after I received my units. Doesn't it figure.....
I hope someone offers the rackmount chassis sans MB so I can just move over. That is a much better form factor for me.
For my part, I much prefer desktop units. It's nice that both options are available though.

You could contact Qotom. They sell their motherboards separately, so they might sell you just the case and the cooler if you ask, especially if you ask to buy more than one. :)

PedanticAvenger

Jan 31, 2024
For my part, I much prefer desktop units. It's nice that both options are available though.

You could contact Qotom. They sell their motherboards separately, so they might sell you just the case and the cooler if you ask, especially if you ask to buy more than one. :)
Buy enough and everyone is willing to accomodate.

Is the ~30 seconds before the system POSTs normal for these units? I nearly threw out some RAM cause I thought it was bad, but no system just took forever before it would beep and present BIOS.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Buy enough and everyone is willing to accomodate.

Is the ~30 seconds before the system POSTs normal for these units? I nearly threw out some RAM cause I thought it was bad, but no system just took forever before it would beep and present BIOS.
True. :D My main point was that they already sell it in parts, at least to some degree. Therefore it might be worth asking at least.

Yes, a cold boot is often slow like that.