Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
So this might be a dumb question, but does anyone know if the ICX 7150-C08P has 10g sfp+ uplink ports? There is almost no info out there on them because they were discontinued so quickly.
Nearly everything I see says 1gb sfp. I found one link that said sfp+, but I believe they were mixing up the 10/12 port versions.

mp.

Dec 21, 2023
It’s confusing because the 12-port is often listed with 1G sfp because the 10g license upgrade was a separate SKU. It seems to have been totally purged from Ruckus’ website.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Has anyone tried using a Multi-Gig SFP on one of the Brocade ICX switches to get 2.5/5gb support for RJ45?
I have a stack of these three ICX6450 and one ICX6610 and they have served me well.

But my new upgrade to my network introduces new things. My desktop for the first time is running 10gb RJ45 rather than a PCIe card for Fiber 10gb.

That is working with this: https://****/3U9hkFC
But its 10gb so I have no idea if it works for the 2.5 & 5gb speeds

The other new item is upgraded access points.
I have one with 2.5gb ethernet, one with 5gb ethernet and the new one I just ordered supports 10gb ethernet, but I doubt my in wall wiring will support 10gb so it will probably fall back to 5gb.

So I could buy a multi-gig swith and just patch it in to the ICX6450, but then I increase the number of things running, electricity, etc.

I could replace the ICX6450 all together with something like the Zyxel XGS2220-54HP - https://store.zyxel.com/xgs2220-54hp-us0101f.html
But that its pretty big money for my home where this is more a hobby than a need.

So if mutli gig SFP works I could just hunt down an ICX 7250 and that would work as a single drop in replacement.
R710 Fiber SFP
R510 Fiber SFP
R210ii Fiber SFP
AP#1 RJ45 SFP
AP#2 RJ45 SFP

Leaving me one open 10gb to add another switch if ever needed.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Has anyone tried using a Multi-Gig SFP on one of the Brocade ICX switches to get 2.5/5gb support for RJ45?
You would almost certainly need to use the special type of SFP+ transceiver that negotiates 10G to the switch and then does speed limiting itself. You want an Aquantia based transceiver if you want that to work properly. :) I highly doubt these old switches have native support for anything other than 1G and 10G.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
You would almost certainly need to use the special type of SFP+ transceiver that negotiates 10G to the switch and then does speed limiting itself. You want an Aquantia based transceiver if you want that to work properly. :) I highly doubt these old switches have native support for anything other than 1G and 10G.
Thats why I am asking, I cant get a clear answer anywhere. I figured it depends on the switch and the SFP, but other corners of the internet say its only the SFP that determins if it will work or not.

Not sure if what I have is Aquantia based but so far every SFP I have tried has worked on my switches.

I think my Aurba switches were the only ones I hunted down Finistar or something for.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Well, fohdeesha definitely doesn't say the following in the original post :)
I am running 10gb copper now, and back then when we were talking about these regularly that was the first 10gb copper, multi gig was not really a thing yet. I'll personally test it soon and let everyone know.

I have a RJ45 SPF that I know works with Brocade as my desktop is using it now on 10gb copper, and I get another tomorrow and my R730 has a 5gb port.

So can see what happens.

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Thats why I am asking, I cant get a clear answer anywhere. I figured it depends on the switch and the SFP, but other corners of the internet say its only the SFP that determins if it will work or not.

Not sure if what I have is Aquantia based but so far every SFP I have tried has worked on my switches.

I think my Aurba switches were the only ones I hunted down Finistar or something for.
Yes, it depends on the switch as well. Older 10 Gig equipment basically never support those newer lower speeds, which is why those special SFP+ modules exist.

The reason you'll want an Aquantia based SFP+ module is because their chips are the only ones that handle the rate limiting properly according to others on this forum. It's not because of vendor locking or anything like that.

If I recall correctly, the cheapest module with such a chip is the 10Gtek ASF-10G2-T (note the "2" in there). I'd double check that by searching this forum though. :) It uses PAUSE frames to limit the speed so you need to have Flow Control enabled on the switch.

Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Yes, it depends on the switch as well. Older 10 Gig equipment basically never support those newer lower speeds, which is why those special SFP+ modules exist.

The reason you'll want an Aquantia based SFP+ module is because their chips are the only ones that handle the rate limiting properly according to others on this forum. It's not because of vendor locking or anything like that.

If I recall correctly, the cheapest module with such a chip is the 10Gtek ASF-10G2-T (note the "2" in there). I'd double check that by searching this forum though. :) It uses PAUSE frames to limit the speed to you need to have Flow Control enabled on the switch.
Just grabbed the last one I saw on Amazon for testing, since I already ordered a multi gig switch I dont need this to work, but if it works I can just use the Brocade by itself but would need to upgrade to the 7250 for the extra 10gb ports. Still cheaper than adding a 2nd switch though-ish.

But will also be good to see if my cheaper SFP works.

Reactions: blunden

blademan

Jan 7, 2022
Looking at the latest release notes (p.33):
Known Issues in 08.0.95m. Issue FI-279139: Symptom 4x10GE Active Copper 1m optics is not supported.
  1. 4 x 10Gb DAC 1m are not supported in 8.0.95m
  2. 4 x 10Gb DAC 1m are not supported in all releases prior to 8.0.95m?
  3. Does that also mean >4 x 10Gb 1m DAC are not supported?
  4. Are 4 x 10Gb DAC >1m supported?

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
In the name of science I bought like 5 different SFP's the first one got here today.

This was one of the cheaper ones:

Really nicely boxed in a metal tin, overnight shipping

I used my Ruckus R730 (Flashed to R850) as my test subject.

The AP detected its full 5gb backplane connection:
5gb on R730.png

The switch itself still saw the connection as 10gb:
ICX6450.png

So it very much looks like there are ways to use these with Cheap SFP and get multi gig support.

My oncly concern would be the long ethernet run to my furthest AP in the house, I am not sure how these SFP hold up and deal with longer distance runs.

I'll post back with the test for the other SFP soon.

Reactions: Jason Antes

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
Sorry to interrupt the current discussion, but I'd like a sanity check: When setting up port monitoring, how are you supposed to turn off the monitor?

I've got an ICX6450 on 08.0.30. I configure e.g. 1/1/23 to be a mirror, I configure 1/1/48 to be monitored. When I issue "no mirror-port 1/1/23" or "no monitor both", the traffic doesn't stop. Am I missing a command, is this a known issue? I have to reboot the router to stop the mirroring.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I also have a 2nd question too lol.
I am about to go ahead and buy a ICX 7250-48 to expand my 10gb capabilities

I have the ICX 6610 but its a bit too much for 24/7 use I want to keep noise and power down as much as possible.

So I am using the ICX 6450 and its good and all, I was about to add a 2nd smaller switch with multi-gig ethernet to my 6450, but now that I have tested and confirmed I can do that with SFP I'll just upgrade the switch.

My question is this, the PoE vs Non-PoE models.
Our first post does not make any mention of additional power/heat from the PoE model and I just wanted to confirm there is no difference.

Most PoE switches tend to draw additional power and produce a bit more heat, and it seems everything I need PoE for these days is PoE++ so these switches are not able to do that, and thus I never use the PoE.

There was also an issue with SFP's in a switch I was looking at recently where they worked on the PoE model but not the non PoE model, though that is probably entirelly related to that switch and not the norm.

When hunting down switches on ebay if I see a good looking PoE model cheaper this makes the difference in buying or waiting for something else.

TLDR:
I am looking for an ICX 7250 and some of the PoE versions are cheaper or better looking than the standard non-poe model, but if the PoE model uses more power and generates more heat/noise than the standard version I would pay a bit extra to get the NON-PoE version as I have no current benefits to having PoE on my switch unless its PoE++

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
In the name of science I bought like 5 different SFP's the first one got here today.

So it very much looks like there are ways to use these with Cheap SFP and get multi gig support.

My oncly concern would be the long ethernet run to my furthest AP in the house, I am not sure how these SFP hold up and deal with longer distance runs.
There are several 10GBase-T transceivers that will appear to work in a single direction at these NBASE-T speeds but won't handle bidirectional traffic correctly. That's what sets the Aquantia based ones apart as far as I remember. :)

Most 10GBase-T transceivers are rated for a maximum of 30 meters. There are also a few relatively new ones that are rated for 80 and 100 meters, but they generally cost significantly more since they need to use more advanced process nodes to keep the power draw down enough to make the longer range possible. If you need one of those 100 meter ones, it appears as though Ubiquiti has the cheapest one by far, at roughly half the price of the module on FS.com.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
There are several 10GBase-T transceivers that will appear to work in a single direction at these NBASE-T speeds but won't handle bidirectional traffic correctly. That's what sets the Aquantia based ones apart as far as I remember. :)

Most 10GBase-T transceivers are rated for a maximum of 30 meters. There are also a few relatively new ones that are rated for 80 and 100 meters, but they generally cost significantly more since they need to use more advanced process nodes to keep the power draw down enough to make the longer range possible. If you need one of those 100 meter ones, it appears as though Ubiquiti has the cheapest one by far, at roughly half the price of the module on FS.com.
What do you mean bi-directonal?
The test from earlier was bi-directional had my phone and tablet hooked to the AP and did a speed test between them.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
What do you mean bi-directonal?
The test from earlier was bi-directional had my phone and tablet hooked to the AP and did a speed test between them.
Sending data in both directions at the same time. You can use iperf3 with the --bidir flag.