"Renewed" 14TB for $119.00 on AMZ (DC HC530)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
it's... fine. it's just fine. they are a very active refurbish drive seller. it's weird that they operate under different names and different channels. They also operate the water panther "brand" of relabled drives. so they move a lot of units.

I have one drive and it's fine. packaging has a good reputation. At least one person on the internets has reported a successful RMA experience. as with any refurb, the warranty is with the seller not with WD or Seagate. Also as with most refurbishers its tough to tell if they get these from the manufacturer, actually refurbished, or if they just change and label and wipe the firmware.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
it's... fine. it's just fine. they are a very active refurbish drive seller. it's weird that they operate under different names and different channels. They also operate the water panther "brand" of relabled drives. so they move a lot of units.
There's also horror stories out there if you search for them--especially the water panther fiasco. It's just another used drive that is caveat emptor and ymmv imo.

Reactions: pixelBit

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
yeah there's definitely some older horror stories here at STH forums. a few years ago drives weren't even properly being listed as new or used.
it seems mostly better now although I saw one recent anecdote (here or reddit not sure) of getting a used instead of new drive.

my data point of was a refurbished drive. And indeed it was refurbished. so no drama there.

Reactions: pixelBit and Samir

pixelBit

Jul 16, 2019
Not very great deal IMHO
The easy return process from Amazon was somewhat of minor selling point, but packaging will probably be horrible.

Server Part Deals has a two year warranty when purchased directly from their website for an additional ~$10.00 verses 90 days behind "Tech on Tech" via Amazon.

I haven't seen 14TB with a 90 day warranty with Amazon's straightforward return process at $119.00.

The eBay four or more for $103.00 didn't have any warranty.

What's the lowest you've seen?

Reactions: Samir

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
The easy return process from Amazon was somewhat of minor selling point, but packaging will probably be horrible.

Server Part Deals has a two year warranty when purchased directly from their website for an additional ~$10.00 verses 90 days behind "Tech on Tech" via Amazon.

I haven't seen 14TB with a 90 day warranty with Amazon's straightforward return process at $119.00.

The eBay four or more for $103.00 didn't have any warranty.

Several weeks ago Serverpartsdeals had 14G WD SAS single channel drives, sold a new, with advertised 3 year warranty, for $130 a piece. WD's warranty check shows them as OEM parts, with warranty handled by the seller. Now the price jumped to $150.
smartctl showed 0 power-on hour and 0 cycles, but after reading comments here, I don't know how much I can trust it.

Reactions: Samir and pixelBit

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Between $8-9/TB is the lowest I've heard of for a good quality drive with a warranty. Anything less than $8 is amazing and starts getting into the high end of used prices ime.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Several weeks ago Serverpartsdeals had 14G WD SAS single channel drives, sold a new, with advertised 3 year warranty, for $130 a piece. WD's warranty check shows them as OEM parts, with warranty handled by the seller. Now the price jumped to $150.
smartctl showed 0 power-on hour and 0 cycles, but after reading comments here, I don't know how much I can trust it.
The 'OEM as new' trick is pretty common. There was a deal I think last black friday or before that where other world computing was doing essentially the same thing with a WD 18TB, except that it would still show as under warranty even though it was an 'out of region' drive and owc also would cover the drive for the same 5yrs otherwise, so wasn't a risk. For what it's worth, those drives were just under $15/TB which used to be considered 'cheap'.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Did they do anything to make it right?
No as I was past the return date.
They also said:
Hello,Thank you for reaching out to us.We use HD Sentinel and the SMART statistics to confirm the remaining endurance, total writes, and overall health of the drive.I hope this helps!Regards,Server Part Deals

• Wow
Reactions: Samir and alka

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
I got one of those SAS drives (I think it is the deal you are talking about). There is no sign that it has been used before.
Code:
Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 264:41
Manufactured in week 06 of year 2021
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  1
It's purring away nicely.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
ebay seller serverpartsdeal ... buyers beware!
I bought 10 of this HGST/WD Ultrastar SSD800MM 800GB SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Enterprise SSD HUSMM8080ASS200 | eBay
They were advertised at 99% health!
Nope, all the drives were 74-76%
That is why I test every drive in the door on arrival. If you can't dedicate the time immediately to testing you shouldn't be buying used parts. Their response is horrible but there are systems in place to make sure their accountable but only if you act in a reasonable timeframe.

Reactions: Samir and awedio

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
That is why I test every drive in the door on arrival. If you can't dedicate the time immediately to testing you shouldn't be buying used parts. Their response is horrible but there are systems in place to make sure their accountable but only if you act in a reasonable timeframe.
Trust me, I'm not complaining.
I didn't test the drives on time, that is my fault, 100% on me.
But in this "community", it's also good to know which sellers you can "trust"!

sl12

Sep 20, 2016
I bought Seagate drives that advertised as NEW Seagate Exos WL 12TB SAS 12G . They are Factory Recertified 0 Hours, basically new drives PN: ST12000NM0027.
In fact, they are 5 years old. The firmware is custom OOS12000G and the serial number has been changed.
10 HDDs out of 56 died within a month.
The ebay seller is Boardroom Technologies.

• Wow

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
They were advertised at 99% health!
Nope, all the drives were 74-76%
I'm curious, what software did you use to get the 74-76% figure? and did you see what the TBW was on them? (because the listing said 105TBW max)

I bought Seagate drives that advertised as NEW Seagate Exos WL 12TB SAS 12G . They are Factory Recertified 0 Hours, basically new drives PN: ST12000NM0027.
In fact, they are 5 years old. The firmware is custom OOS12000G and the serial number has been changed.
How did you determine they were five years old? one trick is in the SMART history you can sometimes see a log of self tests that have been run, thoes don't always get erased, so you could see one is 40,000 hours ago.

Incidentally, the one 'water panther' SATA 12TB drive that I have is a refurbished seagate and it has the firmware OOS12000G as well.

sl12

Sep 20, 2016
I'm curious, what software did you use to get the 74-76% figure? and did you see what the TBW was on them? (because the listing said 105TBW max)

How did you determine they were five years old? one trick is in the SMART history you can sometimes see a log of self tests that have been run, thoes don't always get erased, so you could see one is 40,000 hours ago.

Incidentally, the one 'water panther' SATA 12TB drive that I have is a refurbished seagate and it has the firmware OOS12000G as well.
yes , I see log of self tests that have been run
If you just take 5 year old HDDs, you won't get that many dead ones. I think these are HDDs that consumers have returned defective.
And that's why they have a different serial number and firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixelBit and Samir