Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I have two questions:
  1. Is this the same motherboard but in a different color? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804668431962.html
  2. Any one has replaced the cpu cooler/fan with a custom one? or is it replaceable?
This one is with quad i225 NICs. Probably an older generation.

Similar boards are usually sold under the brand name "倍控"("BKHD", website: bkhdpc.com) on taobao.com or alibaba.com. It is an industrial computer brand.
(This brand also has atom c3558 and c3758 boards in its own store or "ikuai" store("ikuai" is a firewall brand in China.))

CWWK and Topton usually are selling newer i226 edition in their aliexpress stores.

Reactions: black88mx6

blof

Mar 13, 2023
Anybody succeeded in replacing the cpu heatsink/fan? I'm getting 80+ degrees Celsius during load, and would like to get the temps a bit down.
Any recommendation as to what replacement would fit here?

vamega

Nov 8, 2022
Anybody succeeded in replacing the cpu heatsink/fan? I'm getting 80+ degrees Celsius during load, and would like to get the temps a bit down.
That's a lot higher than I'd thought it would get.
I was getting 85 degrees on my Supermicro 1521-D with a jury rigged noctua strapped to the passive cooler.
I was hoping that by replacing my current setup I'd not be getting as high temps? Or am I wrong in worrying about 85 degree temps for a CPU?

alh1891

Mar 24, 2023
This 'NAS' motherboard is far from perfect, but it works great as a home NAS or light duty Proxmox node. As others have mentioned already, this CPU/Motherboard comes with way too much thermal paste pre-applied from the factory; and the heatsink screws may not be fully seated.

With the stock thermal paste (see attached images), my TrueNAS Scale dashboard would show the CPU temps spike to +90C while the Plex app was pegging each core during indexing. After re-pasting with Thermalright TF7 (all I had laying around), and ensuring the heatsink screws were snug (don't over tighten as it may damage the motherboard), the max temps over a 24-hour period with +90% CPU utilization averaged around 61C.

Attachments

Reactions: dimonicukarell

vamega

Nov 8, 2022
Just to be clear, the first imagine you've attached in the default thermal paste, or is that what it looks like when you re-applied the thermal paste?

alh1891

Mar 24, 2023
Just to be clear, the first imagine you've attached in the default thermal paste, or is that what it looks like when you re-applied the thermal paste?
Sorry, about the lack description for each image. Yes, both the CPU and heatsink thermal paste pictures are the factory default application. Below is a picture of the CPU die all cleaned up. I didn't get a picture of my thermal paste application, but I basically did a rice-size grain on each die.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: dimonicukarell

fyujijat21

Apr 7, 2023
The JMB585 takes 2 PCIe 3.0 lanes for almost 2GB/s theoretical bandwidth, but with that it might actually be able to manage a RAID5 HDD RAID at near 500MB/s bandwidth or deliver a half-way decent SATA-SSD JBOD, while a single lane would cripple it too much. But if you do a RAID, it probably wouldn't get better if it were across the onboard and the JMB connected drives, which why leaving the 2nd SoC port alone (or letting it connect to one of the M.2 sockets) may have been the better choice.
pikashow.fyi
ppssppgold.one

Last edited:

MXM-7

Dec 31, 2022
Hello Everyone,

My experience with True Nas Scale, After 2 months everything working great but I still keep a copy of my data on my old Synology to be safe. I tried to install Open Media Vault (As it's way more simple than TrueNas Scale to handle for an exclusie home server usage). But no luck the default setup ISO didn't reconize the Intel I226V. I will try with an updated Debian with latest Kernel and install Open Media Vault in top of it. Did any one here tried OMV ?

jhuang0

Apr 6, 2023
I've added another 5 SATA ports, with another JBM585, connected through just 1 PCIe lane.
It works. Performance is just as 'bad' as the motherboard mounted JMB585.
But I now have 11 ports, which means I can switch to the slightly more cost-effective 4Tbyte drives, instead of paying the premium for the 8Tbyte drives (about $50/8tbytes more compared to the 2x4Tbyte drives). It comes at a slight cost in power, but the QVO drives are quite power-efficient. When not in 'use' they hardly use any power.
So now the PCI lanes are _all_ used:
Code:
01:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller
02:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller
03:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 125c (rev 04)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 125c (rev 04)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 125c (rev 04)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 125c (rev 04)
I ordered what appears to be the exact same JBM585 NVME to SATA adapter. I was wondering if you had to do anything special to get it to work? Mine flashes red for a brief moment when powering on, but Proxmox doesn't seem to pick it up and none of the hard drives I've plugged into it will get a green light like yours has. I'm thinking I simply have a bad adapter as I've tried both slots and know that they will work with the NVME drive that I've got.

jhuang0

Apr 6, 2023
Hello Everyone,

My experience with True Nas Scale, After 2 months everything working great but I still keep a copy of my data on my old Synology to be safe. I tried to install Open Media Vault (As it's way more simple than TrueNas Scale to handle for an exclusie home server usage). But no luck the default setup ISO didn't reconize the Intel I226V. I will try with an updated Debian with latest Kernel and install Open Media Vault in top of it. Did any one here tried OMV ?
I did not have any issues with installing OMV.... but I installed it via Proxmox using VirtIO for the NIC.

idabari

Nov 23, 2022
I ordered what appears to be the exact same JBM585 NVME to SATA adapter. I was wondering if you had to do anything special to get it to work? Mine flashes red for a brief moment when powering on, but Proxmox doesn't seem to pick it up and none of the hard drives I've plugged into it will get a green light like yours has. I'm thinking I simply have a bad adapter as I've tried both slots and know that they will work with the NVME drive that I've got.
This adapter works for me with OMV - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004223466933.html

Reactions: jhuang0

MXM-7

Dec 31, 2022
I did not have any issues with installing OMV.... but I installed it via Proxmox using VirtIO for the NIC.
Thanks for the feedback, is the N6005 enough to run proxmox and OMV with emby on good condition? I'm very new to Proxmox I have read so many tutorial talking about the benefits of proxmox on a home server (adblocking on the whole network etc) but still hesitating to test. I may try OMV over a Debian with latest kernel first. But Proxmox seems really a interesting option

jhuang0

Apr 6, 2023
Thanks for the feedback, is the N6005 enough to run proxmox and OMV with emby on good condition? I'm very new to Proxmox I have read so many tutorial talking about the benefits of proxmox on a home server (adblocking on the whole network etc) but still hesitating to test. I may try OMV over a Debian with latest kernel first. But Proxmox seems really a interesting option
I'm currently running 18 docker containers, OMV, and pfSense. My idle CPU usage is about 20%. I do plan on virtualizing Plex soon, but that's not usually particularly heavy on the system and I expect the iGPU to be quite capable of any transcoding I might need. I got this thing 64 GB of RAM and I'm planning on squeezing everything I can out of it.

sns

Apr 22, 2021
3. I created another Debian 11 VM (media server) and passed through the iGPU. After install, I can see the device via lspci, but for Jellyfin (maybe Plex too) transcoding to work properly, i915 has to be properly configured. First, I had to update the kernel to the one in bullseye-backports (5.19) to get the /dev/dri device. Second, in order for GuC/HuC to work properly with low power transcode, I copied in missing elkhart lake firmware files from linux kernel sources and set enable_guc=2 for i915 module. Transcoding works very well - I'm getting ~250fps for a 1080p HEVC 10bit transcode to 1080p H264.
Can I pass through the whole HDMI port to a VM thats running a windows or linux desktop, not just for quicksync encoding?

Would these instructions for srv-iov work?
vGPU (SR-IOV) with Intel 12th Gen iGPU [Updated 2023]

CWWK released a new NAS board with J6412/J6413 CPU, 4 i226 ports were reduced to 2 i226 and 1 realtek NICs:
Would it work better on this J6412/J6413 board?

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Would it work better on this J6412/J6413 board?
I am not sure about the evolution of CWWK's NAS boards.

For example, CWWK's quad-port i225/i226 N5105/N6005 boards for the router barebones have evolved 5 versions and it stayed on version 5 for over 3 months(or over 6 months?); but its N5105/N6005 NAS board for retails(not the diskless NAS machine with NAS board + NAS case + power supply) has had only 1 version from when I saw it in CWWK aliexpress store. Of cause we can consider the J6412/J6413 board is the successor of the N5105/N6005 NAS board.