ASUS IPMI Expansion Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xenago

Jul 12, 2022
Yes, make sure you're on the latest bios. And if you can, confirm your connections by sharing a photo, maybe we will spot something.

3571angelo

Oct 19, 2022
Thanks for your reply. Is there specific documentation on that procedure as I was not aware that was needed. Thanks again.

3571angelo

Oct 19, 2022
Concerning the vga port on the card, can I connect that port to a KVM. I hace a supermicro server and it has ipmi and all I connect is the LAN port and the video comes out via html or java. I just had the impression that Asus would do the same thing too. And by the way do you have the link to the special bios I have to flash. Thanks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
And by the way do you have the link to the special bios I have to flash. Thanks.
in my understand you need the latest BIOS AND the Card <> Motherboard BMC/TPM/SPI connections.
i have checked the latest BIOS for the BMC settings strings but found none, found no special BIOS myself, thought there was something in the BOX of the Card...this IPMI Card is mysterieous.

xenago

Jul 12, 2022
No special BIOS is required, just install the most recent one from the Asus website

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
No special BIOS is required, just install the most recent one from the Asus website
Hi

Hope you can help. I just bought the card for my Z690-F board and I'm missing either the BMC or SPI cable not sure which is which to be honest. I powered and connected everything else up including the BMC but I dont get the server mgmt option in the BIOS assuming it's because I didnt connect the SPI/TPM to the card. No information about the CPU, mem etc is displayed either in the web console. Please see my pics and let me know which cable I do have and which I need to purchase. Thanks.

Attachments

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
i see two cables. one has a sticker, what is printed on it ?

no, the cable enables the extra BIOS settings
No sticker - see pic - which is this one? The BMC cable or the SPI cable?

I mean the Yafuflash, does the tool flash to latest bios version? I cant see a BIOS file anywhere to flash from stock version. Thank you.

Attachments

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
i see a white sticker on one cable.
That's the USB cable. The cable I showed you in the pic is what I need to know. Is it BMC or SPI or both cables the same so it doesnt matter? If you have the cables please can you tell me which one I have from the pic? Sorry, when I say BIOS, I mean BMC firmware - where can I download the latest BMC firmware, it's not on the Asus support page.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
That's the USB cable. The cable I showed you in the pic is what I need to know. Is it BMC or SPI or both cables the same so it doesnt matter?
understand now. ask Asus if one cable is missing pls.
Sorry, when I say BIOS, I mean BMC firmware - where can I download the latest BMC firmware, it's not on the Asus support page.
then there is no newer FW as still on the Card

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
understand now. ask Asus if one cable is missing pls.

then there is no newer FW as still on the Card
I reached out to Asus, I will see what they say. I hoped that someone in the forum here who has the card can tell me quickly which cable I have, Asus are pretty slow at responding. Thanks anyway.

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
So, it turns out I have the BMC cable. Just need the special bios so I can use the card fully. I'm a bit concerned tho that once flashed to the special bios, you can't flash back to normal bios.

xenago

Jul 12, 2022
you shouldn't need any special bios, I just installed the latest one for my board to get the card working as a video adapter etc.. However, if that does not work then you may need to reach out for additional support from Asus

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
you shouldn't need any special bios, I just installed the latest one for my board to get the card working as a video adapter etc.. However, if that does not work then you may need to reach out for additional support from Asus
You do need the BIOS if you want to use the BMC header and get all the temp/health monitoring in IPMI working. On the Asus website it also mentions the use of a special bios.