Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
its not bad for its power, but for home 200w is a little much for 1 switch. 10GB base t takes more power. but i like it for its mix of QSFP and RJ-45. 6 qsfp in the front and a possible 6 in the back if you can get the module at a non gouging price. I'd really like a 6610 quiet alternative. mix of qsfp+, sfp+ and RJ45. for a few hundred. i know. its asking everything.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I've been eyeing a 7750-48F, then I'll convert my quad 1Gbe server over to dual 10, and use copper SFP's as needed. Only problem is the older iDRAC in my server and my APC PDUs are 100 Mbit. Will a copper SFP+ go down to that, or would I have to chain an old gigabit switch off it for the slower devices?

Reason I want the 7750 is to do campus fabric and make the office and media center switches just be port extenders and have one management interface.

csementuh

Oct 7, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
I love my ICX7250-48P but I need something else for my office room to do testing and play. The Brocade ICX7150-C12P would be absolutely perfect, but it's showing crazy expensive on eBay. Anyone have a suggestion on another full CLI featured switch that is either fanless or extremely quiet, low power, preferrably smaller size and reasonably priced. I'm fine with only 8-12 ports, I'll really only use it to LACP 2G back to my main ICX7250, and pass a few VLANs up here. I'm open to anything that will fit the bill brand/model wise.

csementuh

Oct 7, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
If you can live without the 10G ports, there's a compact version of the ICX6450 I think? Or Juniper EX-2200C (NEW - Juniper Layer 3 12 Port Gigabit Network Switch PoE (EX2200-C-12P-2G) | eBay)
Ahh sorry, I should have been more clear, 10G is totally not needed, 1G is fine. I also don't need POE. I was hoping to find something for $100ish that would work.

VLANs I def need. I guess if I give up LACP/LAG and CLI management I could even survive on some Netgear $35-50 switch with a web interface or a used old HP 8 port. I was hoping to have something with more features though to play with, but I see that will come with a much higher cost.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
If it were me, I would grab the 1gbe little brother of the icx6450, the icx6430. It's not compact, but the 24 port version is totally fanless and draws like ten watts. Full l2 features (vlans lacp etc) with the same fastiron CLI you're used to. Seem to go around $75. The model you want to search for is "icx6430-24". There is a 12 port compact model (icx6430-c12) but it's really rare and people list them for like 200 dollars god knows why

Edit: here's one for $69 OBO, looks like the guy has a ton of them. Could probably snag one for 50 bucks shipped *TESTED* Brocade ICX6430-24 1 GbE switch, 4×1 GbE SFP Ports, Fanless 696544712501 | eBay

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Thanks life runner for the summary. Filling in the gap the 7650 is 48 port multigig 1/2.5/5/10 copper with PoH or 48 port SFP+. 2x40/100gbps stacking/uplinks. I’m about to put one into service next week, if you have any questions would be happy to answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: kache

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Doing my part to extend the thread count.

So let's play the guessing game:

* Did the guinea pigs running the wheel on the eternal license making forge die? Or did you develop a fondness for Peruvian cuisine

* You've transferred the guinea pigs and eternal license making forge to @infoMatt

* Arris/Ruckus/Whatever the @#$@#$ company owns the hard and softs has decided to unlock the licenses for everyone in the next firmware release

* In addition to the last one there is now a plex / emby plug-in for the linux supervisor that handles 10+ concurrent 4k transcodes with no switching routing performance reduction

* This thread is actually the cause of the STH forum server failure and will automatically be deleted when the thread count hits 200 pages and all information contained in the thread will be forever lost to the sands of time
Another idea: Support for these switches by sonic or other open source network os :D

Reactions: hmw

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Another idea: Support for these switches by sonic or other open source network os :D
Depends, even if the models are EOL but they still have active extended support contracts, the company might not allow open source OSes to run on these switches. But it would be awesome though. @fohdeesha has mentioned previously that he could work wonders with the source code :D

csementuh

Oct 7, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks guys, I have some stuff to check out! I do have a ICX6450-24P with a bad POE board. I wonder if I could just pull the power or remove the POE board and get the same effect? Pull the power to the fans also and see if I can neuter it into the 6540-24 fanless model. That would be great!

DanOpi

Jul 16, 2020
Hey Guys!

First post here but have been lurking on this thread for a bit now.

I've seen some mention of the 7150s but most say don't go after them because of price. I'm able to grab what's listed as a " ICX7150-24-4X1G" for $76.

Just looking for a basic switch to play with and throw in my rack as my Unifi POE switch is getting pretty full. The lower the power draw and noise the better. I imagine this is similar or better than the 7250 in these categories?

This seems worth it to me. I'm a bit confused on the 4X1G piece. Does this mean that it's not 10G or do I just need a license to unlock them?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Hey Guys!

I've seen some mention of the 7150s but most say don't go after them because of price. I'm able to grab what's listed as a " ICX7150-24-4X1G" for $76.

Just looking for a basic switch to play with and throw in my rack as my Unifi POE switch is getting pretty full. The lower the power draw and noise the better. I imagine this is similar or better than the 7250 in these categories?

This seems worth it to me. I'm a bit confused on the 4X1G piece. Does this mean that it's not 10G or do I just need a license to unlock them?

Thanks!
My understanding is that the 4x1G parts means that the SFP ports are not licensed for 10G, if you add the license they should work for 10G.

EDIT: By the way the lack of a "p" after the 24, means it is the version of the switch that does not support PoE (just thought I would mention it incase that was your plan, the definition of a "basic switch" being subjective and all).

tangofan

May 28, 2020
Hey Guys!

This sounds like a good price for this switch and much cheaper than anything I had seen when I was looking for a switch. I recently got a ICX7150-24P (the version with PoE), but for quite a bit more. Even on my 7150-24P I can set the fans to silent, by limiting the overall PoE power budget and the fans will only spin up for a minute during bootup time. So, yes, I think you will like the quietness of this unit.

Yes, you will need to unlock the 10G feature, but this isn't difficult. There is a description on how to do that in the first post of this thread, however that descriptions seems to be geared toward a 7150-12P, which has only 2 SFP+ ports. For my unit with 4 SFP+ ports, I followed the instructions at https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...be-40gbe-switching.21107/page-157#post-254799 and this worked very well.

Please keep in mind, that - while the instructions allow you to unlock this feature permanently - you should purchase a genuine license, if you use the switch in a commercial or other professional environment.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hey Guys!

Thanks!
that's a hell of a deal, you can unlock the ports to 10gb with an honor license. just follow the icx7150 update/config section of my guide, and when it gets to the license commands, you'll have to hit tab to see what the license names/arguments are because they wont be the 2 license one for the mini 7150. then just use that license name instead for the license install command

Reactions: tommybackeast

DanOpi

Jul 16, 2020
Welp... Should have bought and then asked instead of asking and then buying. Just missed it but appreciate all the good info in case it comes back.

Thanks all!

Reactions: RTM and fohdeesha