AMD EPYC Embedded 3000 Series Launch Watch Out Xeon D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
You need to bare in mind soho and regular home enthusiasts.

10Gb and 25Gb isn't viable at all for three environments.

Also, the Epyc 3000 is hardly a high end beast, meaning it suits 5 / 2.5 fairly well

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You need to bare in mind soho and regular home enthusiasts.

10Gb and 25Gb isn't viable at all for three environments.

Also, the Epyc 3000 is hardly a high end beast, meaning it suits 5 / 2.5 fairly well
10G is totally practical and with 2 hosts can direct connect with 3 there is lots of switches that offer 4 x 10G for little money. 25G is more enterprise but it will filter down fast, generation after next intel/amd chips will probably see this a native and popular option.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
10G is totally practical and with 2 hosts can direct connect with 3 there is lots of switches that offer 4 x 10G for little money. 25G is more enterprise but it will filter down fast, generation after next intel/amd chips will probably see this a native and popular option.

Can you point me to say, a nice, simple 4/5/8 or 16 port, full 10Gbit ethernet (CAT6a) switch which
a) not only exists
b) costs less than $400 US

I suspect and hope, to see 2.5 and 5Gbit ports added to normal consumer (enthusiast) workstation and gaming boards over the coming 24 months. I suspect we'll see our first home router / modems from say Asus or someone with a few 5Gb ports and eventually we'll see Synology NAS, SuperMicro, Asrock boards coming with it.

Admitedly this article, is biased since they're pushing for the tech
NBASE-T Alliance Showcases Explosive Growth of NBASE-T Technology at Interop ITX

But I'd gladly believe 90% of cabling out there is still CAT 5/6/6a

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
While those prices are cheaper than I expected, I'm not seeing much there, in the range of 4/5/8 (FULL) ports for 10GB-Base-T which is what's going to be benficial to SOHO / home.

I realise this site has a lot of Sysadmins and high level tech guys, but there is that middle ground of the homelab people with a more limited budget and general home enthusiasts.

Check this puppy out for example
Enterprise Switch – TWin Advanced Technology Corp.
"Cheap / Nasty" Chinese product, but, that being said, that's not a bad thing for a basic, dumb, fast switch.
When things like this are (finally) being produced, you'll start to see wider adoption from regular players.

(This is extremely reminiscent of the "Mototech" first 100Mbit ethernet switches which came out 20 years ago, cheap, Chinese, but nothing else came close to them - suddenly 100Mbit ethernet was viable for the home user)

EDIT: To be clear, if there was an 8 port, standard ethernet 10/5/2.5/1Gbit switch that was under $400 I'd certainly not have an issue with 10Gb support. All my runs are under 25 metres. However, the price / heat, it seems unlikely it'll happen

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
I'm gonna agree and say NBase-T is DOA.
10GBase-T is becoming more available all the time. Ubiquiti WAPs/Router/Switches have 10G, Asus have a 10G addin card and a switch are available to their gaming motherboards, netgear has a consumer router with a 10G port, Prosumer motherboards have 10G onboard.

In my personal experience so far, there's far more 10G capable endpoints and switching kit available and affordable over the 2.5/5gbe kit, or perhaps that's just what's available in australia...

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
10GBase-T is becoming more available all the time. Ubiquiti WAPs/Router/Switches have 10G, Asus have a 10G addin card and a switch are available to their gaming motherboards, netgear has a consumer router with a 10G port, Prosumer motherboards have 10G onboard.

In my personal experience so far, there's far more 10G capable endpoints and switching kit available and affordable over the 2.5/5gbe kit, or perhaps that's just what's available in australia...

I admit my networking knowledge is likely minimal compared to many posters here, but unless my googling has failed me,,.....

1) I get the impression that NBASE-T is officially ratified now, no more NBASE-T vs MGBASE-T stuff
2) It's possible for a 10G-Base-T port to be NBase-T compatible (so 10/5/2.5/1) ?
3) It only was finalised very late 2016, production chips started eeking out mid to late 2017
4) It already has more support in the homelab / home user area than 10GB-Base-T (there's at least 1 QNap switch with it? There's a NAS with it and there's at least 1 motherboard with it, both priced more reasonably in the home user space)

Eventually, in time, your home devices will go from being a $199 "modem / wifi hotspot / router / 4port 1Gbit switch" to $199 "modem / wifi hotspot / router / 4port 5Gbit switch"

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Absolutely possible for 10G to be compatible with 2.5/5 speeds, all depends on the ASIC used. There is a few out there.

MikroTik releasing some small (eg 5 x 10Gb SFP+), netgear as an example have say an 8 port 10G base-T switch but it’s a bit more than your price range

8 x 10G
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GTWPTJY?tag=price222-20&ascsubtag=300075887&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

12 x 2.5/5/10G
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787TKSQ9?tag=price222-20&ascsubtag=300075927&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But it give you an idea what you after.

Anyway completely off topic.

Be interesting when we see anything from the AMD 3000 series SoC on the market or used in any devices. Guess we may be still waiting a while

mstone

Mar 11, 2015

Of course 10G is more available on the endpoints, it's been around longer. But 2.5/5 is a heck of a lot more available on installed cable.

Reactions: diskdiddler

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Just to remind that usually when people talk about cheap nasty Chinese products, that's about products from mainland China aiming at low end market. This company is in Taiwan province, where you can find other famous companies like Asus or VIA.

Fair call, sure, but it's not like a Cisco, ubiquitous, etc.

Either way, it's a positive sign.

I just want to get 5Gb at least, without being insane expensive.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
If you google for "PE3251BGR88AF" you will see the actual processor itself (8/16) version is now at least listed on wholesaler shipping sites.

Reactions: Evan

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
While looking around for Embedded Ryzen Motherboards (Not exactly EPYC Embedded but close enough) to see if there is a standard mITX/mATX piece available to end users that could fit nicely in some Desktop build, I found out this. There is a new Ryzen Embedded part, the V1404I, which has a TDP of 15W, 2 MiB Cache L2 and a 6 CU Vega, but TBD Core count, SMT and Frequency.
BTW, that is a damnly good Block Diagram. I suppose that SODIMM with ECC should be rare as hell, but at least there is official ECC support...

Reactions: Patriot and Evan

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I get the impression, most people on this site, couldn't care less for the Vega aspect.

I see such posts on reddit, lambasting Intel low power offerings having 'weeny' GPUs. I'm an ex-pc gamer now, I couldn't personally care less as long as windows are rendered ok (assuming I even have one hooked up to a monitor)

Also, I tweeted at an AMD embedded marketing rep about the Epyc 3000, no response.
I've also spoken with some people on reddit, I get the impression the full 7000 isn't even fully available yet. It's very disappointing.
Lucky I'm on a budget at this point, because if I had money, the products I want for my NAS simply aren't available from AMD.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I get the impression, most people on this site, couldn't care less for the Vega aspect.

I see such posts on reddit, lambasting Intel low power offerings having 'weeny' GPUs. I'm an ex-pc gamer now, I couldn't personally care less as long as windows are rendered ok (assuming I even have one hooked up to a monitor)

Also, I tweeted at an AMD embedded marketing rep about the Epyc 3000, no response.
I've also spoken with some people on reddit, I get the impression the full 7000 isn't even fully available yet. It's very disappointing.
Lucky I'm on a budget at this point, because if I had money, the products I want for my NAS simply aren't available from AMD.
Vega has packed math support, nothing like your edge device having accelerated inference ability.
Which 7k aren't available? 7nm versions will be sampling with OEMs this fall.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Vega has packed math support, nothing like your edge device having accelerated inference ability.
Which 7k aren't available? 7nm versions will be sampling with OEMs this fall.
I was speaking with someone recently, telling me they can be difficult to find and there's not a wide variety of boards, perhaps I was misled?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
EPYC 7000 full SKU range was in production by the last week of August 2017 or first week of September 2017.

They have been hard to find in quantity because of a large customer gobbling up supply. But you can get them today and supply is fairly good at this point.

On the "boards" bit, that is strange. You can order complete systems from Dell EMC, HPE, Supermicro, and others today. Granted, there are fewer options than Intel since Intel still has more market share. Realistically, the other reason you see fewer channel motherboards (ATX/ EATX) is that EPYC plus 8-16 DIMMs per CPU essentially takes a full width of a rackmount chassis https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-as-1123us-tr4-server-review-1u-dual-amd-epyc/2/

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Thanks Patrick.

This was second hand info I was relaying. The 7000 doesn't appeal to me for my uses, as a simple home user. I'm after 3000 release / boards, specifically in ITX. So I'm really on the fringe of what this site covers, just.

Fingers crossed. Although I do like reading about AMD being competitive and gaining market share, it's good for the industry.
I'll continue to wait for something with the 3000. (heck even the Intel c3xxx aren't everywhere for ITX fans. The AsRock options are limited)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@diskdiddler since we do more Xeon D/ Atom C-series than anyone, I have been pushing for EPYC 3000 series. Our coverage on that side is being constrained by availability.

On the 7000 series, I have been buying 7351P's for lower-end boxes. You need 4-8 DIMMs which adds cost, but the H11SSL boards and a 7351P can be paired with water cooling and made quiet. I think that makes a better value home virtualization solution than Intel if you can handle the extra size/ power consumption. Still, I want the 3000 series in the lab.

Reactions: Stephan