AMD EPYC Embedded 3000 Series Launch Watch Out Xeon D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
@Patrick Referring to a 32-thread CPU like 7351P as "lower-end" made me chuckle hard.

To add to the discussion, I was an ITX junkie myself, having built a few AMD/Intel machines in really small and pretty much quiet too. But the moment I wanted to modify or upgrade the machine it always became a real hassle to undo cable ties and move things around. So unless you live in a 10sqm 1-room appartment in Hong Kong or New York I recommend getting a uATX/ATX board instead and use a case with one quality silent 140mm rear fan and for the CPU also to get a quality cooler like from Noctua. 10GBaseT ethernet and SAS3008 chips need more airflow though because they guzzle 5-10watts hence the large heatsinks on them.

If the system needs to be wife-compatible for the living room then my recommendation is to split media PC (anything Kodi/ARM) from storage (ATX).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Stephan in 10 years people will wonder why anyone would even run a 32 thread CPU. All just a natural progression.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Stephan in 10 years people will wonder why anyone would even run a 32 thread CPU. All just a natural progression.
10 years ??, probably 2 or 3 years I think at the rate we are going, having said that like today a lot of people will buy something way bigger than they actually need.

When the smallest machine that I work is usually 32+ cores and 512gb ram these days in the x86 world and much bigger for non intel cpu it’s easy to forget most people would think just one of our servers is huge but to us it’s daily business to deploy numbers of these, and that’s regular enterprise, imagine the bigger cloud providers etc :)

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
@diskdiddler since we do more Xeon D/ Atom C-series than anyone, I have been pushing for EPYC 3000 series. Our coverage on that side is being constrained by availability.

On the 7000 series, I have been buying 7351P's for lower-end boxes. You need 4-8 DIMMs which adds cost, but the H11SSL boards and a 7351P can be paired with water cooling and made quiet. I think that makes a better value home virtualization solution than Intel if you can handle the extra size/ power consumption. Still, I want the 3000 series in the lab.
Thanks Patrick, I look forward to the data as soon as it's available to you.

EDIT: Have you considered having someone on staff to do more middle of the range testing. Example C3xxx for plex transcoding under FreeNAS / Windows etc? Hard to find that data.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks Patrick, I look forward to the data as soon as it's available to you.

EDIT: Have you considered having someone on staff to do more middle of the range testing. Example C3xxx for plex transcoding under FreeNAS / Windows etc? Hard to find that data.
I don’t presume to know anything about @Patrick business model but that kind of thing while interesting is more something of love where on the other hand he has built up the demo eval service and other sort of consulting that is revenue generating but that all end up sitting more with the business side of things than home.

I am just happy about lack of intrusive advertising and useful data on the site.

Now if you have a c3000 and other and want to do some benchmarks etc as long as it’s done in a scientific way then the write up would be welcomed, can certianly collaborate with others to get more sample data.

I would offer some hardware setup to the cause also except I don’t for example use plex or emby or anything else, I essentially only stream on my Apple TV Hulu, Netflix, etc.

(I have often thought to contribute something but everything I do in my work is kind of unique to large enterprise and $$, maybe I rebuild my home stack I will write it up for no other reason that my personal interest is low power and I know a few other enjoy this so knowing just how low power you could get a nice 2 node cluster or even AIO could be interesting to some, I have already d-1500 for this but thinking to move to c3000 based if it brings some consumption saving)

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
It's more access to the hardware that I don't have, whereas members and owners here, have access to some great equipment.

There's an oft-quoted passmark score requirement for plex streaming but it feels so entirely unscientific to be honest. Wish Ganesh from Anandtech knew Patrick - Ganesh is a big HTPC kind of guy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It's more access to the hardware that I don't have, whereas members and owners here, have access to some great equipment.

There's an oft-quoted passmark score requirement for plex streaming but it feels so entirely unscientific to be honest. Wish Ganesh from Anandtech knew Patrick - Ganesh is a big HTPC kind of guy.
I have been to Ganesh's house. He lives close by actually.

I hear the desire for more in depth testing of Free as and others. It is an issue of time. I try to do this when I can but it is hard to do so consistently.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I'm just envious of your access to hardware.

Understandably, expanding and paying more people seems risky since it's not your nebre and butter.

Still, if you get some good stuff, see if Ganesh can borrow it, he's good at media stuff.

Thanks for the hard work Patrick, email your contacts and tell them some of us are dying for more epyc 3000 info.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I saw that, but it has a fancy GPU, a waste of transistors to me.

Still, they came out at the same time, so perhaps the epyc will ship soon on some boards

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Not directly related to the Thread, but...

BEHOLD THE FIRST CONSUMER PRODUCT TO USE EMBEDDED RYZEN V1000 FOR CONSUMER

That thing would be perfect as your grandma or computer illiterated neighbor general purpose computer. But I'm not personally interesed in one of those simply because that size is too small to actually use all the I/O that Zen has to offer.
These look fantastic for an HTPC/Gaming/Home Automation/ Virtualisation platform or even a small render farm array

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I just got email confirmation from super micro, that the amd epyc 3000 CPUs are not on their current roadmap. Pretty disappointing, out of asrock, Tyan, supermicro, I figured SM would be the ones to come through.

My response from Tyan.

"We don’t have plan to make Embedded Eypc platform"