Dedicated Crypto Mining Open Compute server build.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
One of the servers with 2665 cpu's. Still under 90c.

I image a 2670 would be a little higher and a 2680 or 2690 would be a no go.

goen

Sep 27, 2017
hi all,
im new here.
i just want to start mining with CPU.
is there any difference between standard and V2, V3 etc in Xeon proc regarding to mining performance?
for example e5-2660, there are variant of V2 and V3 with higher price.

rgds,

spfoo

May 23, 2017
hi all,
im new here.
i just want to start mining with CPU.
is there any difference between standard and V2, V3 etc in Xeon proc regarding to mining performance?
for example e5-2660, there are variant of V2 and V3 with higher price.

rgds,
There is a comprehensive CPU listing on the first page of the thread called Monero Mining Performance.

Reactions: goen

RBE

Sep 5, 2017
the problem is...
i live outside usa/canada.
As do I. All of my eBay purchases are shipped to Portland, OR before being freight-forwarded half-way around the world. By the time a server has made its way to me in New Zealand, the cost has increased to $480 NZD, or around $340 USD - and that excludes local taxes. I daresay that you too could find someone to trans-ship servers to you if you wanted. Just make sure you crunch the numbers first.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
First update in a while.

I purchased twelve 250 Gig WD hard drives, would have loved to get some ssd's but the hard drives were $4 each and identical and with excellent smart results, to replace the motley collection of hard drives I am currently using that range in size from I think 80 gig to 1 tb.

I actually only need six but twelve will give me room to expand plus some ready to go spares would be handy.

I plan on installing Ubuntu 17.10 server on one hard drive and update it and configure needed programs plus install my miner programs then clone it to the other drives and that will save me hours of installing.

For the install of Ubuntu 17.10 server I am using the default LVM option for the first time ever.

I am choosing no auto updates and making it a SSH server is the only option selected.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Have you tried EXT3? I remember that was a big deal in the F@H days with @Patriot
Years ago I did, been using ext4 ever since.

Only decided on LVM tonight on the spur of the moment because Ubuntu installer want's to use it as the default option and I have never tried it before, and of course I may regret that decision.:D

If I have issues i'll go back to a more normal install.

I plan on just configuring this Ubuntu install until i'm happy with it then clone it so I plan to put all the effort for this one install.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Ok after actual research if I want to use dd to clone a complete drive it seems that people have less issues with good old ext4, so I reinstalled using ext4 instead of using the Ubuntu default of a LVM install.

And then I realized it would probably less risky AND aggravating to just install Ubuntu on each drive since its just a base server install with ssh and it only takes about 15 minutes for each.

goen

Sep 27, 2017
As do I. All of my eBay purchases are shipped to Portland, OR before being freight-forwarded half-way around the world. By the time a server has made its way to me in New Zealand, the cost has increased to $480 NZD, or around $340 USD - and that excludes local taxes. I daresay that you too could find someone to trans-ship servers to you if you wanted. Just make sure you crunch the numbers first.
Thats right.
But the cost gets higher and higher.
Using a forwarder will increase the cost significantly.
So i move to GPU mining now.
At least when i buy hardware in local store, i got a full year warranty and RMA is much easier and cheaper.

rgds,

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Thats right.
But the cost gets higher and higher.
Using a forwarder will increase the cost significantly.
So i move to GPU mining now.
At least when i buy hardware in local store, i got a full year warranty and RMA is much easier and cheaper.

rgds,

Plus the gpu prices are almost back to where they were 6 months ago.

I need to get a few gpu's when the prices are back to normal.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Looks like Ubuntu 17.10 server does not like my Open Compute servers, hangs on boot. Hummmm

Put the old Samasung 80 gig with Ubuntu 17.04 back in and it boots fine.

Samsung sure makes nice looking hard drives.

So I think i'll install 17.04 on one of the spare 250 gig drives doing the exact same install routine to see if it's 17.10 or the way I installed it.

I just realized what it is.....midway during the install on another drive.

I forgot to run:

echo "options mei-me disable_msi=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/mei-me.conf

Thats the fix for the hang on reboot problem on later versions of Ubuntu

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Well that did not work.

The only thing I can think of now is that the open compute servers, IF I remember correctly are set to boot both UEFI and Legacy and the pc I installed 17.10 server on I had set to UEFI only so maybe that is causing an issue.

So I changed the install pc to UEFI and Legacy also and am doing yet another install.

I reason i'm installing on another pc vs the oc servers is to save on down time, I did not want to shut down a oc server add a video card and keyboard.

Might have to.....

Maybe I should have taken better notes vs my depending on my memory.:(

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Well I ended up adding a video card and keyboard to one of the nodes and i'm installing 17.10 server on the oc server.

And its up!

Ive installed Ubuntu on other pc's and stuck the hard drive in a different pc and never had a problem until now.

The only thing that I can figure is the problem is that the open compute UEFI is too old to be compatible with the newer UEFI version on the motherboard that I installed Ubuntu 17.10 server at first.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The second node install is going much faster.

I quickly tested Ubuntu 17.10 server mining Aeon on bare metal on the one node and its about ~150 H/s faster.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Testing xmr-stak-cpu and it seems to be abour ~25 H/s slower on Ubuntu 17.10 server.o_O

EDIT: Quick test with xmrig and its definatly faster, 910 H/s, than amr-stak and xmrig is using two fewer cores.
That is on bare metal and not even optimizing for numa nodes by using two instances.

Last edited: