Connect Gigabit Switch and Router to Arista 40GB switch.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
How do you folks having 40G switch in your homelab manage this? I am moving from a 10G switch to a 40G switch and am not sure on how to manage this connection.

Current Layout : Using a router on a stick configuration with a Unifi USG. Only 2 VLANS applicable here. One for storage and one for everything else and there was no inter-vlan communication. So the 1G link to the USG was not a bottleneck.

Drawing1.png

New Requirements :

1. Need to connect 6 hosts with mellanox CX3 40G QSPF+ cards to Arista 7050
  2. New Xeon D 1518 based pfsense box with 1G copper and 10G SFP+ connections.
  3. ES24-LITE with 1G Copper and 1G SFP connections.
I want to use the ES24-LITE just for IPMI and possibly management traffic for hosts separated into their own VLAN. All other traffic via the 40G connections.

How do I make the physical connections to integrate the pfsense box and the 1G switch with teh 40G network?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you have SFP+ on the 1GbE switch, you can use a breakout cable.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
If you have SFP+ on the 1GbE switch, you can use a breakout cable.
2 questions :
It is an 1G SFP port. Will it work with an SFP+ module in a breakout cable?
How long are the "breakout" sections in a breakout cable usually? I have the pfsense ports facing the front and the switch facing the rear. So I'm wondering if I can use the same breakout cable to connect both.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
See: Arista DCS-7050QX-32

I was not able to get that Volex cable to work with the 7050QX. I was able to get the 10Gtek brand from Amazon to work.
Thanks. I should choose the arista compatible version for the 10GTek one from Amazon right? The link was to the Cisco version. Also Do you know how long the "breakout" is?

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
Thanks. I should choose the arista compatible version for the 10GTek one from Amazon right? The link was to the Cisco version. Also Do you know how long the "breakout" is?
I happened to buy the Cisco version (was an Amazon warehouse deal) and it works fine. I've ordered two more of the Arista coded versions, so I'll find out in a day or two if those work as well. With the one I received the breakout is pretty much right at the QSFP+ side so you have the max possible length of cable available to each SFP+ (mine was 2m).

It was mentioned in the other thread the fs.com ones work, only reason I haven't ordered those was the last couple of orders I did from fs.com the shipping took a little while more than Amazon prime.

Reactions: K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I happened to buy the Cisco version (was an Amazon warehouse deal) and it works fine. I've ordered two more of the Arista coded versions, so I'll find out in a day or two if those work as well. With the one I received the breakout is pretty much right at the QSFP+ side so you have the max possible length of cable available to each SFP+ (mine was 2m).

It was mentioned in the other thread the fs.com ones work, only reason I haven't ordered those was the last couple of orders I did from fs.com the shipping took a little while more than Amazon prime.
Awesome. I've ordered the 10GTek Arista version as well.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
2 questions :
It is an 1G SFP port. Will it work with an SFP+ module in a breakout cable?
How long are the "breakout" sections in a breakout cable usually? I have the pfsense ports facing the front and the switch facing the rear. So I'm wondering if I can use the same breakout cable to connect both.
All the breakout cables I have used have are split pretty much at the QSFP port.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I should get the breakout cable delivered on Wednesday. Will check it out after that. Of it doesn't work I'll probably get one of the Mikrotik switches with an SFP+ port.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
@K D
Which arista switch do you have?
Models with the "s" suffix in the name have sfp/sfp+ports that can be used with a sfp to 1gbase-t transceiver to connect to a router/modem from your isp.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
@K D
Which arista switch do you have?
Models with the "s" suffix in the name have sfp/sfp+ports that can be used with a sfp to 1gbase-t transceiver to connect to a router/modem from your isp.
DCS-7050QX-32

No SFP+

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I don't know if this can work on the Arista, but it does with Mellanox Switches.

QSFP Port on Switch -> QSA -> 1Gb RJ45 SFP -> Rj45 Switch

If the Switch would negotiate 1G on a QSFP Port it could be worth a try.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks @i386

@nkw. I recieved the Arista version of the breakout cable just now and connected it.

The breakout starts almost at the transceiver so each sfp+ cable is almost 6ft.

I see the connection leds blinking in the pfsense box but not in the 1g switch. The Arista switch has one of the 4 leds on for that particular port ( see pics). The management terminal is hooked up to the patch panel and connected to my workstation on the second floor. I am not able to check the terminal immediately. ( On s side note I really need to have a system or laptop downstairs so that I dont have to trudge up and down 2 floors each time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K D

Dec 24, 2016
So. With the current setup now that I know I cannot connect the Arista directly to my switch:

All IPMI in a separate subnet with the 1G switch connected to my pfsense.

Only esxi management and freenas /napp-it will need access to ipmi.

Can I have the pfsense box perform routing between the 2 subnets ? Don't care about bandwidth here as it is just IPMI connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk