Cheap 10Gbit TOR Switch, ES-16-XG?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SbS

Jan 10, 2017
Hi,
we are starting to plan our new virtual infrastructure based on:
VMWare VSphere 6.5 with 3 host
Storage Netapp FAS 2620 with NL SAS or SSD
Backup with Veeam

The datastore will be mounted via NFS.

Actually I'm looking for the two 10GB SFP+ Switch to use for this setup.
I'm very attracted by the ubiquiti ES-16-XG or by the Dell X4012, and so I'm looking for owners opinions!

I'm also open to other switches.

Thanks

Giuseppe

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
Juniper EX3300-24P for sale on this forum. The seller seems to have just removed the 10G add-in card (4 SFP+), but perhaps you can talk him back into it or just go ahead and buy that part elsewhere. Can't beat top tier quality for that price.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Juniper EX3300-24P for sale on this forum. The seller seems to have just removed the 10G add-in card (4 SFP+), but perhaps you can talk him back into it or just go ahead and buy that part elsewhere. Can't beat top tier quality for that price.
I didn't remove the 10G card (it's builtin), just the optics if you wanted to use fiber, still works great for 4 ports of 10G on DAC's but I only have one.

SbS

Jan 10, 2017
Thnaks, but I need two >= 8 SFP+ Ports and I'm in Europe and so I cannot buy all the good stuff on ebay ;-(

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I have met the same problem with i386, ubiquiti ES-16-XG indeed have serious compatibility issue with SFP+ DAC cables, Search - Ubiquiti Networks Community After reporting this to their customer services, nothing solved yet:mad:. I am personally into HP branded switches. reliable all the time

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Hi,
we are starting to plan our new virtual infrastructure based on:
VMWare VSphere 6.5 with 3 host
Storage Netapp FAS 2620 with NL SAS or SSD
Backup with Veeam

The datastore will be mounted via NFS.

Actually I'm looking for the two 10GB SFP+ Switch to use for this setup.
I'm very attracted by the ubiquiti ES-16-XG or by the Dell X4012, and so I'm looking for owners opinions!

I'm also open to other switches.

Thanks

Giuseppe
At least, I run ES-16-XG switch in my homelab. This switch did have some DAC compatible issues, and the UBNT company released 1.7.1Beta, but this issue didn't happen on every users. I use Fiberstore compatible DAC cables with it, and no issues happen. You can get more information in the UBNT community. There are many feedbacks from it.

SbS

Jan 10, 2017
Hi to all,
and thanks for the replies.
I know about DAC cables issues and given the cost and availability (here in Italy) of DAC cables vs GBIC+Fiber patches I will probably go anyway with the fiber.
I'm particularly interested about the performance reliability of the switch in used in this scenario.
I read Patrick's article and he made me think that ES-16-XG could be a good cheap choice.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Hi to all,
and thanks for the replies.
I know about DAC cables issues and given the cost and availability (here in Italy) of DAC cables vs GBIC+Fiber patches I will probably go anyway with the fiber.
I'm particularly interested about the performance reliability of the switch in used in this scenario.
I read Patrick's article and he made me think that ES-16-XG could be a good cheap choice.
If you will run fiber instead of DAC cables with the UBNT switch, of course ES-16-XG switch is a good choice.