SMB 3.0 and Bandwidth Aggregation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrFlppy

Jun 11, 2016
Did a test with a 100 GB file. On each PC one NIC is idling and the other one is at 99 % according to the Task Manager, at the LACP connection between the switches it's the same although the activity monitor of the mentioned TP-Link TL-SG2210P seems to be buggy, one connection is at 0.00 % the other one at 0.17 % (at 118 MB/s).

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Very odd indeed. Every time I've set up windows 8+ machines similar to this SMB Multipath just worked out of the box, nonworries. The only time I've seen or heard of troubles was with things like hashing traffic onto your LAG between the switches.

Last question from me and then I'd be stumped...did you try it with all four PC NICs connected to a single switch?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rain

MrFlppy

Jun 11, 2016
Will try to test this tomorrow (need to get longer cables to test this since both systems are rather unpleasent to lift and carry to the other rooms) Can't use the switch cabling since I'm using the SFP ports there.

Rain

May 13, 2013
Did a test with a 100 GB file. On each PC one NIC is idling and the other one is at 99 % according to the Task Manager, at the LACP connection between the switches it's the same although the activity monitor of the mentioned TP-Link TL-SG2210P seems to be buggy, one connection is at 0.00 % the other one at 0.17 % (at 118 MB/s).
Just to clarify, both PCs have two NICs that are not teamed together (LACP'ed or other), correct? And you're sure the ports on the switches the NICs are connected to are not configured for LACP, only the LACP between the switches is configured?

@PigLover's suggestion is what I'd try next too: Confirm you can get SMB Multipath working with both machines plugged into the same switch. Next, confirm it still works (albeit slower) with only one 1GbE link between the switches and LACP disabled. Than scale back up to your LACP configuration. Removing as many variables as possible is the only way to get to the bottom of this stuff sometimes.