ZFS Speedtest: napp-it/Nexenta/OI etc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Just curious if anyone had done any speedtests/comparisons (aka benchmarks) of

ZFS = napp-it/OI/OmniOS/Nexenta

vs

SMB3 in Server 2012/2012 R2

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Just curious if anyone had done any speedtests/comparisons (aka benchmarks) of

ZFS = napp-it/OI/OmniOS/Nexenta

vs

SMB3 in Server 2012/2012 R2
You'd have to be more specific than that. Your comparing a filesystem (ZFS) against a file-sharing protocol (SMB3).

What filesystem do you want to run on the Server 2012 system? If you are comparing to Storage Spaces then I don't think you have to do a lot of benchmarking to know which one wins. But if you allow hardware raid on the server 2012 system then it might be a more interesting race.

Also - are you talking about 1Gbe links or 10Gbe? It makes a big difference. At 1Gbe either approach can probably saturate the network pretty easily. If you allow multiple 1Gbe links side-by-side then the Server 2012 system probably wins because SMB3 can easily use multiple links while the ZFS/Solaris-derived system can't (well, it can, but it takes a lot of special configuration).

So - be a bit more specific about how you'd like to see it tested and I'm sure there are more than a few people here who would take up the mantle.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
I kept it very general, as I was really looking for some back & forth dialogue.

At the end of the day, both can be used for the same purposes

ZFS can host VMs that are used File servers, Databases, Application servers etc

SMB3 can be the "highway" to VMs hosted on Server 2012

Are we talking ZFS with dedicated ZIL (eg, STEC Zeus or SAS SSDs) or
are we talking Storage Spaces + multi channel SMB3 + a couple Mellanox FDR NICs

Maybe, my general question should have been; why pick one vs the other? :)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
That is actually the best question. If you could have the filesystem features and performance of ZFS with the file-sharing performance of SMB3 it would be ideal.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
..If you could have the filesystem features and performance of ZFS with the file-sharing performance of SMB3 it would be ideal.
I'm hoping some smart geek or geeks have figured a way to make this a reality.....

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
That is actually the best question. If you could have the filesystem features and performance of ZFS with the file-sharing performance of SMB3 it would be ideal.
Cross platform dynamic multi-pathing. drool I have hope for ReFS, but ZFS has a little bit of a head start.

Once one gets into the realm of twin hard multipath 40/56Gbps IB connections being your limiting factor, maybe a redesign of ones storage subsystem needs to be considered. Pointing to the multitude of distributed file/data systems like Lustre/GlusterFS/DFS/GFS and local flash caching. If your data set is small enough, bring everything into once system; I think dba's "Data Warehouse/Analytics/BI Servers" a good example.

More general observation, I love the cyclical trend of monolithic to distributed solutions in computer technologies. A bottleneck is found and solved with distribution then it is all brought back into a single system for reduced latency and complexity and a new bottleneck is found and thus causes distribution.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Currently you have the options on Solaris

Use CIFS server mit SMB1. In the past one of the fastest SMB servers. Runs quite trouble free
Use Samba 4
Use ZFS/iSCSI to Windows 2012 to combine both worlds

hope for SMB3 to come in Solaris CIFS

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Use ZFS/iSCSI to Windows 2012 to combine both worlds

hope for SMB3 to come in Solaris CIFS
> ZFS/iSCSI to Windows 2012 to combine both worlds : that is SMB1/SMB2, quite slow by today's standards? yes, no

> SMB3 to come in Solaris CIFS : Is this on the roadmap?

btw, I assume there are drivers for the Mellanox FDR NICs

Scout255

Feb 12, 2013
> ZFS/iSCSI to Windows 2012 to combine both worlds : that is SMB1/SMB2, quite slow by today's standards? yes, no

> SMB3 to come in Solaris CIFS : Is this on the roadmap?

btw, I assume there are drivers for the Mellanox FDR NICs
I believe you are mistaken, it is not SMB1/2 for ZFS/iScsi. The option Gea is mentioned is using iScsi to share the ZFS storage to the Windows server, which can then format it to NTFS or other file system and share it to your network via SMB3. Hence, combining both worlds. I believe you would mostly do this with an all in one box

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I believe you are mistaken, it is not SMB1/2 for ZFS/iScsi. The option Gea is mentioned is using iScsi to share the ZFS storage to the Windows server, which can then format it to NTFS or other file system and share it to your network via SMB3. Hence, combining both worlds. I believe you would mostly do this with an all in one box
I did this quite awhile ago. Hardest thing used to be that Hyper-V is not so great with non-Linux hosts and ESXi 5.1 (free) was RAM limited.

zane

Aug 22, 2013
I think that illumos will be one of the last platforms to implement SMB 3 or 4 at this point because it is not derived from Samba but Procom. I can not find any plans for illumos to support or implement SMB 3 or 4. While Linux and BSD will support the current release 4.0.10. If anyone can find anything different please let me know.

I run hyper-v and this really is putting a kink in the chain. I need zfs and smb 3+ so my only choice is to move to BSD or maybe Linux. What OS would you choose for the best zfs implementation BSD?

"The illumos CIFS server was derived from an implementation that Sun bought from Procom in 2005. Contrary to what many people assume, the implementation is not derived from Samba."

I kept it very general, as I was really looking for some back & forth dialogue.

At the end of the day, both can be used for the same purposes

ZFS can host VMs that are used File servers, Databases, Application servers etc

SMB3 can be the "highway" to VMs hosted on Server 2012

Are we talking ZFS with dedicated ZIL (eg, STEC Zeus or SAS SSDs) or
are we talking Storage Spaces + multi channel SMB3 + a couple Mellanox FDR NICs

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I think that illumos will be one of the last platforms to implement SMB 3 or 4 at this point because it is not derived from Samba but Procom. I can not find any plans for illumos to support or implement SMB 3 or 4. While Linux and BSD will support the current release 4.0.10. If anyone can find anything different please let me know.

I run hyper-v and this really is putting a kink in the chain. I need zfs and smb 3+ so my only choice is to move to BSD or maybe Linux. What OS would you choose for the best zfs implementation BSD?

"The illumos CIFS server was derived from an implementation that Sun bought from Procom in 2005. Contrary to what many people assume, the implementation is not derived from Samba."
This is not a question of the OS but a question of the SMB server.
You can try SAMBA 4 - available on any X system.
For OmniOS, you find it here as an example

OmniOS Package Repository: uulm.mawi
Package Search