Yet another blunder by Microsoft

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
For my day-to-day work I'm migrating to a Linux desktop, only need MS for the minimal games I play.

Sure photoshop > gimp but other than that I don't use much 'windows apps' day to day anymore, most software has linux variants now too. I think the only major one is evernote if I recall, maybe it was another, that I do use often but can find a replacement.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
the way this reads microsoft is just going to stop validating things for win7, win7 mainstream ended in 2015 win8 mainstream lasts through jaunary 2018, as long they don't actively prevent vendors from developing drivers is this really a problem?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm switching due to the lack of control for updates, security, data to MS, etc... I have EVERYTHING pretty much disabled now on Win10 but I can't use certain features that worked fine on win7 and productivity is slowed & more mouse work is needed :(

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
The legacy code base in support of old cpus is a boat anchor. I'm doing my best to abandon MSFT but they might actually drag me back in if they unbloat their OS to bring on all the features that they have available to them by not playing to the lowest common denominator. Not as extreme as Apple but a reasonable middle ground. Dumping all code that isn't x64 and sharpening up their use of multi-core/multi-threading could really sharpen things up. Legacy device support is a cruel thing if customers aren't willing to pay for it. There will be much pissing and moaning I am sure. As much as I prefer the idea of Linux, actually getting it installed and configured in a desktop environment is no where near plug and play.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, it's def. not point-click and awesome desktop environment! BUTTTTT... MS has pushed me to the limit and I'm ready to invest in creating the ultimate linux desktop environment that works "for me"! I'm sure eventually productivity will increase, and I'll likely virtualize windows and use remote desktop as-needed and keep the VM shut down most of the time.

William

May 7, 2015
Just marketing stuff to get everyone to upgrade.

What this means is supporting driver updates for all this old stuff will come to a halt. through Microsoft anyway.
It doesn't mean that your Win 10 install with stop working and I am sure you will be able to download drivers from MB's websites. It just means that Win 10 will no longer update any systems drivers older than Skylake platforms.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Just marketing stuff to get everyone to upgrade.

What this means is supporting driver updates for all this old stuff will come to a halt. through Microsoft anyway.
It doesn't mean that your Win 10 install with stop working and I am sure you will be able to download drivers from MB's websites. It just means that Win 10 will no longer update any systems drivers older than Skylake platforms.
I think that's backwards, IE win7/8 won't get drivers from microsoft for newer platforms not the other way around

William

May 7, 2015
No I don't think so... Win7/Win 8 are both EOL now as it is, or close to it.

"Yes, Windows 7 (currently in the Extended support phase) will continue to receive updates until January 14, 2020, and Windows 8.1 will be supported until January 10, 2023", "Microsoft will publish "a list of specific new Skylake devices we will support to run Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.""

In today's blog post, Microsoft says it's seeing "unprecedented demand from our enterprise customers" in Windows 10. Enterprise customers are especially interested in new Windows 10 security features like Credential Guard, which uses hardware virtualization to safeguard credentials from attack.

And here you go, the reason why so it will trickle down to consumer devices also.

Because Win 10 platform now does auto updates to just about everything including drivers all motherboard manufactures must now submit drivers certified my Microsoft so these updates can happen. There is simply to much older equipment out there for all this to be managed effectively so we see another cut off point.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
The problem I see with MSFT owning the desktop is that whichever national government plus the US government then also owns the desktop.
So many back doors and how can I trust customer or my own privacy to a foreign government, let alone my own government. It gets really ugly from a privacy protection perspective if you have client data. I don't like the idea of being anally probed by my computer but I use cloud services like gmail, one drive, etc so I have certainly become accustomed to it.

Between cellular providers, isps, msft and google it's pretty darn easy to know way too much about any individual in the first world. With big data processors able to correlate all this crap and machine learning algorithms able to pull features out of it I sometimes think that we are wasting way way too much time and energy watching people scratch their butts and watch television.

The level of inane is just overwhelming.

Reactions: Fritz

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I have a feeling that Linux developers will be ramping up their game over the next 4 years...

I still use windows for my day to day stuff because, well, it's just easier for me to point and click, but I have put some effort into learning Linux over the last year or so in order to move away from M$ altogether. I decided this about half way through testing Win10 in it's pre-release testing cycle, not because I didn't like the look of it or feel of it, it's slick, but because I am basically handing my entire private life over to anonymous parties to do with as they see fit. Call me paranoid but as the saying goes, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely...

Reactions: Fritz

Diavuno

It sounds to me like MS will stop supporting validating or stop supporting installs on newer cpus

It does make sense... on the other hand + points to *nix.

and yeah, windows 10 is limiting..... I cannot disable auto updates only delay then or lie to the OS and tell it everything is a metered connection.
*lots of fun with the new updates bricked my compute stick.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
photoshop > gimp
Take a look at Krita (link) I have a mate who works on hollywood flicks using that. His entire company does actually.

As to the rest of this stuff. MSFT is making it easier to move away from them. But they're also making it easier to use their software as a "user".

They're going the Apple route, which is making life simple and easy for the LCD.
Power users/Administrators in $Corp are loving it because it's simplifying administration of many machines, with powershell and the open-sourcing of .net, administration and orchestration is becoming simpler with tools such as Puppet and the likes.

The only people who dislike the changes are us enthusiasts who care about privacy and intimate control over single or very small groups of devices.