X8DTE-F Board Esxi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acmcool

Banned
Jun 23, 2015
Woodbury,MN
I have X8DTE-F Board.I think the IPMI does not work and onboard graphics gives some red lines.But board seems to work ok apart from that. I was thinking using this board for Esxi host for my home lab.
Would it be fine to use?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Well it's a frankenzombie but if you can make peace with that and everything else works and is on the VMware HCL or the hypervisor loads cleanly onto your HW and NICS talk I'd say 'all yours' :-D

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yes I had working Esxi with windows server as one VM...But wasn't sure if IPMI would affect anything..
You'll miss remote KVM mgmt via browser (no virt media mount which is a PITA IMO) and no IPMIview which I have grown fond of for sensors and console access instead of using a browser.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I don't use either ..so i guess I am ok..
If you want to try it, there is a force-download utility in the IPMI firmware zipfile (in the DOS subdirectory) called yafukcs (really!). The syntax is yafukcs -full -force-boot X8DT6222.ima and you can download the firmware and utility from Supermicro here. You need to run it from DOS on the actual hardware, though. So you may need an add-in graphics card temporarily if you can't see what is going on via the built-in graphics.