X540 losing connection on receive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve got a quad port silicom x540-t4 nic that seems to work just fine when uploading/sending data but not when receiving data.

It’s in a pfsense 2.7.2 box.

When it comes up from a fresh boot all the ports are active and working and my clients get dhcp addresses and can ping the router and other hosts.

If I run iperf with a client connected to any port on the x540 (and a server connected to my i225 mic) it works just fine.

if I run iperf with a client connected to any a port on my i225 nic and a server connected to any port on the x540 nic the server will lose its network connection after the first or second iperf interval.

This is repeatable 100% of the time.

The link lights stay active but every machine connected to the x540 loses its connection. If I release/renew ip on any of them they fail to get a dhcp address.

I can recover 100% of the time by rebooting pfsense (but not rerooting) or by doing ifconfig ixN down; ifconfig ixN up.

I’m thinking this is a “driver doesn’t match firmware” problem but I’ll be damned if I can find any firmware for the card.

anyone got good ideas?

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
Boot the system off a linux USB drive and see if iperf3 causes the same issues or not. Rule out OS/driver issues that way.

I'm guessing the card is going bad.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
I’ll try. Nvmupdate64e doesn’t seem to like the card or the dell firmwares.

the card worked 9 months ago. Then I moved out for a home remodel. When I came back it wasn’t working anymore. It was powered off the whole time…