X10QBI not booting with a V4 cpu, ipmi password is set, sigh.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

willo

Apr 26, 2024
I've got a X10QBI (in a 8048B-TRFT) that I'm attempting to build.
The chassis was actually damaged, so the server store is sending me another one. In the meantime I decided to get familiar with the platform.
I've got 4x E7-8880v4 CPUs and a bit over 1.5T of 32GB LRDIIMM memory to work with.

In testing, I'm not getting the bios to post at all - it's bitching about the cpu and resetting.
The result is the same with 1x and 4x CPUs and 0, 1 or all the ram installed.

So I believe I need to do a bios update, which should be possible via the IPMI card.

The card isn't pulling DHCP, so I connected it to my laptop via a ethernet adapter and used tcpdump to find out what the IP address of the thing is.
I was able to find the 172.x IP it is using and configured my laptop to be in the same network. Now I'm able to hit the webui of the IPMI card.

Unfortunately the password is set to who knows what. Since I'm unable to boot any form of OS with the hardware I have, I can't use the traditional option using ipmitool on the thing.

I see two options - get a v2/v3 cpu that'll boot with the old firmware (easy but I'm about to leave town for a couple of weeks).
Or I can try to get into the BMC some other way. So I guess today's project will be loading up my kali linux VM and seeing if I can exploit the card to give me access. Other than that, I wonder if I can boot a different motherboard with the IPMI card stuck on it and then use ipmitool to change the user...

Meanwhile, I'm wondering about the best way to install my ram. I put together 4 fully populated memory cards - each has 12 DIMM slots. 48x32GB=1536GB. So I thought the best way was probably to install 6x per card, but it seems like these cards want groups of 4x DIMMs? Or am I assuming that? the manual doesn't really talk about it. So maybe I can do groups of 6x, but maybe I need to do 8x and 4x sets to keep the memory controllers happy? I'm also not sure if there's an advantage to spreading the ram across more cards or not - it would install them across more memory controllers but I'm not sure if that actually has a benefit.