WTB/WTT Supermicro 836 TQ/A Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajax3712

May 22, 2018
Hello all,

Currently have a BPN-SAS2-836-EL1. I'd like to swap that out and replace with a "TQ" or the harder to find "A" version .

Not 100%, but I don't think the metal "frame" for the backplanes are swappable across EL/TQ/A versions (or board revisions), so ideally I'd need that as well. Unfortunately, most of the 836 backplanes being sold on ebay do not have that metal frame.

Thanks!

the-crusher

Mar 23, 2019
I'm curious why you'd want to go from the SAS2 EL1 to the A. Does the A model not have trouble with drives larger than 2TB?

ajax3712

May 22, 2018
TBH, I'm not the best person to answer this as I'm learning as I'm doing :). But here's my reasoning...

I'm getting into VMs and would like to passthrough a set of drives using a controller dedicated to the vm'd OS. Since a single HBA controls all the drives on a SAS2 EL1, I'd like to switch to a TQ backplane so I have that ability.

the-crusher

Mar 23, 2019
Fair enough. I was curious because I went the opposite direction myself. I have an 836A currently gathering dust. I have no idea what a fair price is for it since I can't find a record of one being sold anywhere. Open to offers or trades if you're interested.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm curious why you'd want to go from the SAS2 EL1 to the A. Does the A model not have trouble with drives larger than 2TB?
It does not. The A and TQ models are one to one direct connected without any expander so they don't have any issues with drives over 2TB. The problematic backplane is the SAS1 expander.