EU Found - Upgrade Dell NVMe Service

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I fell to temptation and got a bunch of (relatively) cheap Dell NVMe drives (1725a...)
I was hopeful since the latest (required!, potential dataloss) fw is available on the dell page, but I had forgotten that it won't install on non Dell systems :(

So o/c I'll be trying to to hack my way around it but preliminary attempts were not successful - happy to get hints.

The easy way out would be to find somebody close by (Germany FFM area) who has a NVME capable Dell System (most x30 or x40 boxes) where I could run the upgrade. O/c willing to pay a few bucks for the time.

Second best would be doing it via sending back and forth, but o/c not really too keen to send 4 large nvme drives to a stranger;)

If all fails I can of course try to by a r730 and sell it off again (or worst case return it, but thats not a particular nice thing to do).

Thanks

1597334226350.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yep. Need to flash the Dell FW, either with Dell tools or theoretically with linux tools, but not sure if the current FW is digitally signed (and thus might not be easily flashed by low level tools) - it sounds like that on the FW page.
Not been willing to risk that yet...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Does anyone know if any dell system works? Just remembered i got an sc1425 floating somewhere...

SonOfSanta

Aug 14, 2020
Denmark
I'm Falling in the second best categori - im a stranger with and 730xd living in DK willing to help ;)

You can pm med, and er can take it from there, if you wish.

Reactions: Rand__