EU [WTB][UK] SATA HDD's for first desktop server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rando

Feb 9, 2023
Hi, looking to buy some hard drives to begin building my first home server. Will be using my desktop so not a dedicated/rack system.
Looking for 4TB+ SATA drives, preferably 6TB and up for a raidz2 array.
Used is fine, looking to save costs because starting from scratch is far more expensive than I realised. Who knew your ISP provided router isn't bleeding edge o_O
UK but posting in the EU section because the UK one is dead.

Also, as a total newb, happy for any tips and tricks you might be willing to impart!

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Tip: spring for an sas controller now as this will quickly pay for itself with cheaper sas drives. Plus, you'll be able to do things like add a das, sas expanders, etc.

Rando

Feb 9, 2023
Tip: spring for an sas controller now as this will quickly pay for itself with cheaper sas drives. Plus, you'll be able to do things like add a das, sas expanders, etc.
Yeah i quickly learnt how much more affordable SAS drives are on ebay. Problem is, learning about HBA's and backplanes and which ones I need to fit in my motherboard is a lot. On top of learning about switches and fiber and SFP and a million other acronyms. I understand why people get paid good money for this stuff now. I should probably go find answers in the relevant sections tbh.
:p

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you're using a desktop, you've got it much simpler since all you need is a breakout cable from the sas controller and that's it since everything else will be the same. No backplane or hot swap needed unless you really just want to go this route. :)