WTB: Supermicro Shipping Boxes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Pretty self explanatory. Have a pair of 2U servers that I plan on selling and would much rather have some original boxes than risk damage from something else due to their value. The chassis are a little longer than the 216/826 models, so it would probably need to come from a 828/829 chassis or one of the 2U Twin/GPU barebones.

I will also consider non-Supermicro alternatives if they'll work and have foam.

Preferably you're on the west coast as shipping would be cheaper for me to Phoenix than from the east coast.

Let me know what you have!

Got the two I needed!

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I think someone has already explored this option and determined it wasn't cost effective. Because ups/FedEx have min based on box size.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think someone has already explored this option and determined it wasn't cost effective. Because ups/FedEx have min based on box size.

Exactly.

Dimensional weight of SM SC216 is about 70lbs.

I just shipped 2 and played around with weights and moving items back and forth because I was near hitting dimensional weight vs. actual weight to get the best rate from UPS.

This may be out the window if you have a UPS account with a 30%+ off discount or custom rates, etc,..

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
I just got these two lovely SC216 boxes and was going to offer them to you :)
But, yeah, not sure if they would be reasonable to ship?
Looks like they are 38/39" long.
depending where you are, it might not be all that unreasonable. Want to send me a PM and I can check if it's reasonable?

Reactions: T_Minus

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

Exactly.

Dimensional weight of SM SC216 is about 70lbs.

I just shipped 2 and played around with weights and moving items back and forth because I was near hitting dimensional weight vs. actual weight to get the best rate from UPS.

This may be out the window if you have a UPS account with a 30%+ off discount or custom rates, etc,..
Yep, quite familiar with dimensional weight. I already got one from another forum member a couple months ago and it cost ~$50 to ship an empty box. Generally not worth it, but this isn't for a cheap server.
depending where you are, it might not be all that unreasonable. Want to send me a PM and I can check if it's reasonable?
Thanks for the offer. I don't think your boxes will work though. 216 is 25" long and my servers are 29". :(

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
Sorry - I wrote the wrong model, these boxes should be just right - the servers I received are 29" long (fat twins), and there is 5-4" of foam on both ends for them.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yep, I custom modded the foam (LOL!!) ;) they were too short (area cut-out in mid-foam).

SC216 foam has glued foam on 1 end the other is molded/cut from factory.

Either way, a sharp nice and careful cuts and you can fit the longer chassis in with plenty spacing/padding on each end :) :) still. One end is a simple 1 cut pull out, other is top and side cut, and yank out the foam.

As you can see it's still safe in side :) and plenty bumper/outside room, esp. with double boxes!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yep, quite familiar with dimensional weight. I already got one from another forum member a couple months ago and it cost ~$50 to ship an empty box. Generally not worth it, but this isn't for a cheap server.

Thanks for the offer. I don't think your boxes will work though. 216 is 25" long and my servers are 29". :(
Gotcha, that makes sense :)

Oh, and His will work for 29"

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Sorry - I wrote the wrong model, these boxes should be just right - the servers I received are 29" long (fat twins), and there is 5-4" of foam on both ends for them.
The model # on the boxes are weird.
I got over a dozen SC216 in SM boxes from ebay and some had weird part #s on them and others said 216.
I think yours were 829 or something I haven't even owned :) ....yet, LOL!!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you have a data center near you sometimes they have extra boxes.