WTB: 32 or more of 16GB PC3-14900R 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrKrabs

Feb 6, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
It's possible non-HP branded ones will work at 1866MHz, but the HP ones have been validated/certified to run at that speed (but the memory chips are no different from a regular one). As I'll be buying $800+ in RAM, I prefer not to risk getting one that won't run at 1866MHz as returns are iffy/non-existent.

Oh yeah, I've seen that thread (thanks for the reminder as I spotted some NICs I might get!), but I don't want LRDIMM because of the performance penalty as they run at 1333MHz on the computers I'll put them (HP Z820 workstations).

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Oh yeah, I've seen that thread (thanks for the reminder as I spotted some NICs I might get!), but I don't want LRDIMM because of the performance penalty as they run at 1333MHz on the computers I'll put them (HP Z820 workstations).
LRDIMMs are actually more efficient than regular RDIMMs and can run at their full clock speeds. Are you sure the z820 documentation is right? I know HP (and Dell) usually can use things outside of their official specs. My z420 is loaded full of 256GB of ram via 8x 32GB LRDIMMs and it was supposed to only work with ecc udimms--48GB max, lol.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Hmm, what speed are your 256GB LRDIMMs running at? The documentation I found (quickspecs version 36 from Dec 2013) says you can go to 512GB with LRDIMMs, for example.
In my z420 they're running the max the cpu e5-2630L can support--1333. When I tested 16GB RDIMM modules in the same machine, they would clock down due to banking and ranking vs the LRDIMMs stay at full speed.
Oh, you said z420, not z820!
Yep, that's the crazy thing. :D The z820 looks like basically 2x z420 socket/ram slots on a single board so as long as the bios and processor would support LRDIMMs, I think you could just load it up to 512GB and be done with it once and for all. :)

And as far as HP branded ram is concerned, in these older era of systems, the non-branded ram works just as well as the branded. I even have had Dell in HP and vice versa mixed with non-branded with no issues. I think the quality control and specs were so tight that there wasn't any wiggle room for crap to even be made. :)

Reactions: MrKrabs