WTB: 2.5” SAS/SATA (cheap)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

freebsdrules

Aug 16, 2017
Hi all - looking for as cheap 2.5” sas/sata drives as I can get. Ideally 8x 4tb each and performance is less important as this will be more archival. What do yo have sitting around??

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Hi all - looking for as cheap 2.5” sas/sata drives as I can get. Ideally 8x 4tb each and performance is less important as this will be more archival. What do yo have sitting around??

I assume you are talking spinning rust rather than SSD's? I suppose "cheap" is relative, but I think I can speak for most members when I say that 4TB SSD's generally do not fall in the "cheap" category.. I have a large qty of 1.92TB SAS3 SSD's listed here in the for sale section that are probably "cheap" relative to other similarly spec'd SAS3 SSD's..

Other than that, I have a single 1.8TB SAS3 2.5" 10K RPM HGST drive I'd be willing to let go of, but this obviously does not meet the requirements stated above..

Are 4TB non flash 2.5" SAS3 drives a common item?

freebsdrules

Aug 16, 2017
I assume you are talking spinning rust rather than SSD's? I suppose "cheap" is relative, but I think I can speak for most members when I say that 4TB SSD's generally do not fall in the "cheap" category.. I have a large qty of 1.92TB SAS3 SSD's listed here in the for sale section that are probably "cheap" relative to other similarly spec'd SAS3 SSD's..

Other than that, I have a single 1.8TB SAS3 2.5" 10K RPM HGST drive I'd be willing to let go of, but this obviously does not meet the requirements stated above..

Are 4TB non flash 2.5" SAS3 drives a common item?
Yes, talking about spinning disks. Cheap is certainly relative but compared to any of the options you mentioned above, what I'm looking for is certainly cheap. I was offered 4tb seagate drives under $100 which is in the ballpark.

Anybody else have anything?

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Yes, talking about spinning disks. Cheap is certainly relative but compared to any of the options you mentioned above, what I'm looking for is certainly cheap. I was offered 4tb seagate drives under $100 which is in the ballpark.

Anybody else have anything?
If you keep an eye out on ebay, you should be able to find some pretty good deals on spinning drives. I'm not sure about or familiar with the 4tb+ 2.5" drives, but the HGST C10K1800 SAS3 drives are supposed to be great and can be had cheap (I've yet to actually throw the one I have into an empty bay and play with it).

I've also bought 8x new HGST 6TB HE8's in the $150 (each) range over the past several months, although these are 3.5"... I had to RMA one which must have been damaged during shipping, but this was surprisingly easy/quick.