Windows setup doesn't see SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. Supermicro X8DTU-LN4F. The SSD is the only drive attached. The BIOS sees the SSD just fine. There are no SATA drivers available on SM site. HALP !!!!

Never had this problem before so don't know how to deal with it or why it's happening. Also, I thought having to load AHCI drivers to load Windows was a thing of the past.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Are Install Intel chipset drivers installed?
I thought they were already on the install CD. Never had to load them before. I ran diags on the the Micron SSD in another computer before trying to install Windows on it and for some reason it's still showing up on that computer after removal. Maybe there's something wrong with it. Gonna try another SSD.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Try the Intel chipset drivers just to see if that works.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I was right about it being the drive. It's an IBM / Micron MTFDDAK240MBB-1AE1ZABBB. I replaced it with an Intel S3700 and the system detected it and Windows is installing as I type this. This drive is brand new and passes all diags I've thrown at it. IBM must muck up the firmware so it'll only work in an IBM system as a boot drive.