Windows Server 2012 R2 Windows update seriously borked my LAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All was good be I ran Windows Update and not I can't access the server from the Linux LAN clients. The Windows server has Internet access and can be pinged from both Windows and Linux boxes. I can remote into the server from a Windows 7 box but cannot remote in from Linux Remmina. The server is Running Blue Iris which has a web server. I cannot connect to the web server from either Linux or Windows. I cannot connect to the web server at the server in question. The Linux boxes cannot see the server but Windows can.

It seems like a Windows update changed something that caused this problem Question is what and how do I undo it?

All was well before I ran Windows Update. :(

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Check RDP settings if any client is allowed, even without NLA. Check if Windows Firewall has turned on, or doesn't allow connections. If you delete or change the gateway, sometimes Windows will think it is in a Public place, instead of Home or Work. And the firewall will prevent you from access. Uninstall the update if nothing helps. Always snapshot or backup Windows before any updates. Microsoft fired the whole QA team, replaced it with automated tests which catch not even a fraction of problems. That's why Server 2003 and 2008 were so much better. And they are about to fire a bunch more, so halleluja, everyone is now their tester.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Check RDP settings if any client is allowed, even without NLA. Check if Windows Firewall has turned on, or doesn't allow connections. If you delete or change the gateway, sometimes Windows will think it is in a Public place, instead of Home or Work. And the firewall will prevent you from access. Uninstall the update if nothing helps. Always snapshot or backup Windows before any updates. Microsoft fired the whole QA team, replaced it with automated tests which catch not even a fraction of problems. That's why Server 2003 and 2008 were so much better. And they are about to fire a bunch more, so halleluja, everyone is now their tester.
Thanks. I'm burned out for today. Gonna get back on it in the morning. Will report back.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I cannot connect to the web server from either Linux or Windows.
If you have physical access or ipmi kvm you could check if you can access that webserver locally.
If that works then probably the firewall rules have been reset. (Was the machine updated regularly? I think ms had some big updates for the firewall in server 2k12 r2)

Edit: specify which server I mean

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The firewall is turned off and has always been. I'm about to get back on it as soon as I finish my coffee and doughnuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Stephan

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I cannot find the command that tells me which version of smb Linux Mint is using. Sure, google returns tones of them but NONE OF THEM WORK.
This is a pet peeve of mine. The volume of Linux info out there that is long obsolete / useless far exceeds the up to date useful info that actually works.

If someone would kindly give me the proper command I'll be forever grateful. Just want to know which version of smb Linux Mint (Latest version all up to date) is using.

TIA

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Try "man mount.cifs" and look for vers=arg. Your 2012 R2 supports anything up to 3.0.2. The cifs module will imho pick the highest available, which should also be 3.0.2. Try "telnet server 445" from Linux to Windows to see if you can reach the server port at all.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Try "man mount.cifs" and look for vers=arg. Your 2012 R2 supports anything up to 3.0.2. The cifs module will imho pick the highest available, which should also be 3.0.2. Try "telnet server 445" from Linux to Windows to see if you can reach the server port at all.
Looks like Linux is running smb3. I disabled smb1 on the Windows server so smb should not be the problem.

One clue is that I can't reach the Blue iris built in web server from anywhere, not even from the server itself. However, Internet access is fine.

It's looking like i'm going to have to reload 2012 R2. :(

This time around I'll create a backup image.