WiFi access 100 ft from the house

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CDLTech

Sep 11, 2016
My Man Cave
@T_Minus Well it looks like the AC LR or Pro is the best choice. I think once it is setup in his other building. He may want it in his house.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Edited to fix typo

Our outbuilding ('shop) is <100' from the house. One of these days I'm going to trench out there and install a couple of fiber runs in conduit. Here in Oregon, the ground (at least in our yard) is still saturated, so there's my excuse to put off the job for a few more months!

Meanwhile, I purchased a couple of Ubiquiti NanoStation 5AC loco units from the Ubiquiti Beta store at $50 each (I think you need to be signed up for the Ubiquiti Beta program to view the Beta devices). Likely overkill for a <100' distance, but this was an inexpensive approach and I wanted to expand my knowledge in the Wireless space.

It took me longer to mount the units than it did to setup a PtP bridge. I used the RF Elements NanoBracket Universal mounting kit to mount to the shop exterior wall (the shop has a metal roof). This mounting kit is "dual purpose" in that it can attach to pole or wall. The design is a little compromised for wall mount as the design only allows for thin screws with small heads .. as I found it is easy to strip the heads on the small screws. For a pole mount (using U bolts only) the design is much more robust.

I can get a 50MB/s transfer rate over the PtP link .. works for me !

This is a Supermicro box in the shop being accessed via a KVM session with IPMIView, transferring an iso from the house to the shop.

I've only recently started using the Ubiquiti products, so far I'm impressed !!

Last edited:
Reactions: CDLTech

CDLTech

Sep 11, 2016
My Man Cave
Our outbuilding ('shop) is <100' from the house. One of these days I'm going to trench out there and install a couple of fiber runs in conduit. Here in Oregon, the ground (at least in our yard) is still saturated, so there's my excuse to put off the job for a few more months!

Meanwhile, I purchased a couple of Ubiquiti NanoStation 5AC loco units from the Ubiquiti Beta store at $50 each (I think you need to be signed up for the Ubiquiti Beta program to view the Beta devices). Likely overkill for a <100' distance, but this was an inexpensive approach and I wanted to expand my knowledge in the Wireless space.

It took me longer to mount the units than it did to setup a PtP bridge. I used the RF Elements NanoBracket Universal mounting kit to mount to the shop exterior wall (the shop has a metal roof). This mounting kit is "dual purpose" in that it can attach to pole or wall. The design is a little compromised for wall mount as the design only allows for thin screws with small heads .. as I found it is easy to strip the heads on the small screws. For a pole mount (using U bolts only) the design is much more robust.

I can get a 50MB/s transfer rate over the PtP link .. works for me !

This is a Supermicro box in the shop being accessed via a KVM session with IPMIView (obviously ove, transferring an iso from the house to the shop.

I've only recently started using the Ubiquiti products, so far I'm impressed !!
Very cool. My friend is ordering a AP AC LR. We are going to try that first. Going to place it in a window in a clear line of sight. If the signal at his other building still isn't good enough. I told him the next step is the Nanostation. I am think of the M2 or M2 Loco. I told him we could put the AP AC LR in the other building. If he ends up having to buy the M2. The benefit there would more coverage around his backyard.