Why is Linux only showing 251GB Total Memory?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
BIOS and Superdoctor are showing 256GB which is correct.

Screenshot from 2023-12-15 09-21-50.png

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks. Video card is an add in, GeForce GTX 750 Ti. Onboard video is disabled.
I'm assuming that since both the BIOS and Superdoctor are reporting the correct memory the issue is with Linux.

EDIT: Also, I'm assuming that "TOTAL Memory" does indeed mean Total Memory but I could be wrong.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
The linux kernel reserves memory at boot. Some is never available to be used except by the kernel, so "total" memory reported by free et al will never correspond 1:1 with physically installed.

free derives its data from /proc/meminfo. This page has a nice breakdown of the metrics: https://www.baeldung.com/linux/proc-meminfo

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz and ericloewe

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, now I understand. Total does not mean total in Linux. Thank you sir.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Ah, now I understand. Total does not mean total in Linux. Thank you sir.
It totally depends on context. The kernel requires a minimum amount of memory to remain useful. In the context of a running Linux system, it makes sense that "total" only includes usable memory. No point in counting the memory the kernel is never going to let go of.

dmidecode can be used to query the size of the physically installed DIMMs.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It totally depends on context. The kernel requires a minimum amount of memory to remain useful. In the context of a running Linux system, it makes sense that "total" only includes usable memory. No point in counting the memory the kernel is never going to let go of.

dmidecode can be used to query the size of the physically installed DIMMs.
Yes sir, I have adjusted my understanding of "Total" in regards to Linux.