Why do we still care about RAID levels?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Philosophical question I'd imagine at this point. Why do we still care about RAID levels? I mean it's a tech/ schema from single core processor days. You'd think software would just automatically take resources available and manage redundancy and performance. If I've got two drives 1/2 full, why do I choose RAID 1 or 0? Why can't the OS just balance with input of 20% free space then maintain redundancy as possible?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Philosophical question I'd imagine at this point. Why do we still care about RAID levels? I mean it's a tech/ schema from single core processor days. You'd think software would just automatically take resources available and manage redundancy and performance. If I've got two drives 1/2 full, why do I choose RAID 1 or 0? Why can't the OS just balance with input of 20% free space then maintain redundancy as possible?
And you have just created storage spaces... or snap raid or.
Hardware raid as a whole tends to have better performance and stability than software solutions.

Scale out... and you tend to see software solutions and HBAs. (talking multiserver PB level)

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Even with SR or SS you are explicitly setting redundancy levels. what do I care if I have a 400 GB drive with 100GB of data on it and there are two copies kept instead of one for speed/ anti file corruption purposes? I'd imagine it makes drive space available calculations harder but those queries are not that bad from a number of times run daily planning perspective.

Even most scale out like scaleio doesn't do it this easily.