Why did NVIDIA choose Xeon for their OVX server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
Their Ampere DGX lineup used EPYC 7742s, so I'm curious why their OVX server uses Xeon Platinum 8362s (32C, 2.8GHz base, 3.6GHz turbo) instead of say EPYC 7543s (32C, 2.8GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo). Is there an actual performance advantage with these Xeons or am I being naive?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is there an actual performance advantage with these Xeons or am I being naive?
performance is not all. AMDs support to the OEMs is worse compared to Intel.
and they may use custom software with AVX3 instructions.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
AMDs support to the OEMs is worse compared to Intel.

in other words, what is this claim based on?

I propose an alternative theory, that AMD is a direct rival of Nvidia. In the past, they had no choice going with AMD CPUs due to only Epyc had PCIe v4, but now 8362 has it, and they no longer have to use AMD. I don't have any insider info, this is my educated guess only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

juma

Apr 14, 2021
and they may use custom software with AVX3 instructions.
I did some quick googling and it turns out renderers actually do use AVX-512 in some cases, this would make sense for OVX since their whole schtick is real-time ray-traced rendering.

I propose an alternative theory, that AMD is a direct rival of Nvidia. In the past, they had no choice going with AMD CPUs due to only Epyc had PCIe v4, but now 8362 has it, and they no longer have to use AMD. I don't have any insight info, this is my educated guess only.
That is a good point.