Who is using IPv6?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Anyone here using IPv6 for their website IP address?
Since the price of IPv4 is getting expensive...is it a good thing to consider IPv6 at this point?

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Few years until this happens IMO.
Well my question is about who is using them and if there is really any problem using them now...i will not wait if i can use them now and have no problem using them now..the price of IPv4 is just too much now 2.50 euro/ip at the datacenter i am going with..and i need like 20..so i am thinking of going ipv6 if i can

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I always feel if you have to ask, then it is not the safe way to go.

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
I work for a datacenter/local ISP. We about 4 weeks to start to roll IPv6 to the core and 8-12 weeks to roll to clients. We will be running dual stack. I just ran a check last night we still have half of our /19 IPv4.

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
I've used IPv6 through HE tunnels, and played around some, but there just aren't enough websites and services IPv6 enabled.
I did just get accepted into the Comcast IPv6 trial, should be interesting.

There is very little IPv6 movement and adoption in the VoIP world from what I can tell, especially on the carrier and provider side.

nickshah

Jul 2, 2013
I am still using IPV4 although it is expensive but it is more useful at this point of time than IPV6.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Let's just say it. You need IPv4 today. In 24 months may not be the case but until the world switches not worth a small time administrators time trying do diagnose and fix issues with IPv6. Most documentation is still for IPv4.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking, but my company is using IPv6 internally for as many elements of our network as possible. We have a network with 10s of thousands of "devices" scattered all over the country, each of which has multiple IP interfaces (not PCs or Tablets, but machines). We can't use NAT internally as they all need to be directly addressable. They are not "internet accessible", but with the allocation inefficiencies of rational subletting we actually exhausted an entire "private" class-A (10.x.x.x).

Using IPv6 saved our butt - though it took a lot of arm twisting to get all of our key equipment vendors onto the bandwagon. At this point we are 90% IPv6 for these network elements.

For general Internet usage, IPv4 (nat'd) will be here for a very, very long time. Much longer than the "two years" stated above.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I think two years may also be a bit short but I do think that there will be a time in the not too distant future where you can go IPv6 on a website. That day sure ask heck isn't today. IPv4 still needs to be there for any major website which is the OP's original question.

Your setup does sound really interesting though. The internally accessible IPv6 is going to be awesome for all of the sensor guys. Also it'd be nice if we got IPv6 cameras and all. Still not really turnkey though.