Which Nvme ssds for raid 1 on proxmox homelab?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MESSERCHMIDT

Apr 16, 2015
Hello. I have a 12400 with 32gb of ram that is going to be my new home server. Need a set of nvme ssds to run proxmox and some images off it. Was looking at the new 1tb wd blue sn580s, or 10$ more for the sn770s. Or should I get something else?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Can you fit the length of the enterprise 22110 nvme's like the Samsung/SK Hynix ones, or any others?

I’d take one of those over pretty much any consumer nvme. You could also go with intel optane’s as they are brilliant small drives

Last edited:
Reactions: nexox

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
Not the fastest NVMe drives on the planet but for Homelabbing and at a really decent price the 1TB Timetec drives have been working great for me.

The SN580's are twice as fast but for the amount of data I'm pushing around on 2.5g / 10g networking (Mikrotik for the 10g stuff and Mokerlink 2.5g), I can't really tell the difference and I have a number of WD SN770's in RAID1 arrays as well as Intel 670P's in the same kind of configuration and anecdotally, I can't tell the difference in my home lab speeds. At some point in time I will do some testing to really see the differences in action, but for pure value proposition? I'm pretty happy with the Timetec units.

I should add, this is in TMM units and T740's, thus the 2280 suggestion.

Reactions: Marsh

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I am using super cheap Team stuff in my Proxmox node. It seems to be working fine for me.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Can you fit the length of the enterprise 22110 nvme's like the Samsung/SK Hynix ones, or any others?

I’d take one of those over pretty much any consumer nvme. You could also go with intel optane’s as they are brilliant small drives
I imagine cooling on these is necessary? Never felt the need to cool my consumer m.2 gen 3 nvmes but I imagine these will at the bare minimum heat sinks?

Zer0_C00L

Jun 18, 2023
Nobody suggesting Optane?

Otherwise low power like Hynix P41 or whatever it is (it's pretty easy to find just search low power SSD).