Which memory works in HP Microserver Gen 10?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stonewall

Aug 14, 2020
Inside my HP Microserver Gen 10 (this is not the plus) I have a stick of Micron MTA9ASF1G72AZ-2G3B1 which is un-registered ECC Ram 2400T 8GB. I have some sticks of RDIMMs which are 2666 timing. They don't work in the microserver. It doesn't get to post with those sticks inside.

Online I find most sites say that the HP Microserver Gen 10 wants unbuffered, un-registered, DIMMS. Did anyone get registered DIMMs working? They are a heck of a lot cheaper here in the UK. I only use the HP Gen 10 for file backups. It has a ZFS (file system). If I can't get cheap ram I'll leave it at 8gb.

stonewall

Aug 14, 2020
The CPUs / Chipset only supports unbuffered DIMMs, so absolutely no chance to use cheap registered DIMMs.
That is what I feared.

For my next build I would like to get a low power system. It would be great to find a system which uses cheap server ECC ram. I've been playing around with HP and Dell workstations, which have amazing build quality and utilise (now cheap) server RAM and other parts. I feel safer with these machines than with cheap Chinese motherboards that are made to take ECC ram.