Where to buy used 6-8-10TB SAS 3.5" drives? (best value)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I have a Dell Poweredge T420 with 8 x 4TB SAS drives that are now starting to fail, and I need replacements – and I thought I might as well upgrade a bit. So 6-8-10 TB

My problem is that I've not paid attention to this for a while, and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for me. I'm EU-based.

I've seen some on eBay, but they are from 2015 – soon to be 10 years old. Is that too old, or are they good to go? Like this listing (8TB) for instance? I've also found brand new Dell branded drives (6TB), but I've also read that used "burned in" drives are sometimes better.

Thanks for all input! :)

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you. Do you have any example listings?

And shouldn't I use SAS drives? SATA is 6gbps while SAS is 12 gbps (given you have a card that support that speed)

Also running ZFS so having more drives is better, speed and redundancy wise?

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I ended up going the same route as last time. Buying used 8TB HGST SAS drives on eBay from a reputable seller, and even gave a best offer that knocked the price down with ~100 USD. The drives is about as old as the 4TB HGST SAS models I have.

Crossing my fingers. :)