What's your pick of switch at low voltage cabinet in the furnace room?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Got a new construction house that's designed by previous buyer who later abandoned the house. They hard wired CAT6 to all rooms, and collect them to the furnace room on upper floor. The furnace room is about 5ft x 6ft, and of course has a giant furnace in it. On the side wall there's the low voltage cabinet and about 15 CAT6 cables hanging there. At least 4 of them are wired to external camera positions, and 10 are to the rooms. (Why furnace room? I have no clue. I would not have picked furnace room for my network equipment, but we are here now.)

I'm planning to put my server rack in the garage, so eventually I'll have a fiber run from garage to the furnace room. But what device would you pick to put into the furnace room for the networking? I assume it'll be a 16 ports switch, at least 4 of which are POE, and a SFP+ uplink eventually going to the garage.

Currently I have a 6450-48P but I think it'll be too hot and noisy to stay on the upper floor. Looking for a good fit, relatively quiet and cool and affordable.

Affordable: something below $200-ish if possible.