What to do with a Cisco FPR-2110

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

turgin

May 16, 2016
I have a Cisco FPR-2110 as a "freebie" thrown in on a Cisco order at work but it only has the base Firepower license. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do with this fairly powerful piece of hardware since I can't do any of the fancy IPS, URL filtering, or malware protection policies without licensing. It was supposedly going to be used to run Firepower Management Console for the rest of our FTD deployment, but we're sticking with virtual appliances for that.

Has anyone done or heard of any tinkering with Cisco Firepower appliances with respect to running something other than ASA or FTD software images? I'm sure its chock full of custom CPU and ASIC hardware resources so its unlikely to find supported drivers in a generic Linux or BSD but I'd sure like to find some use for this thing in a home network/lab other than boring base FTD or ASA. I don't even know if the BIOS would boot anything other than a Cisco signed image.

During boot I do see text about Intel Cavium. I know it has 16GB of RAM, 12x1G RJ45, 4xSFP, and a 100GB SATA SSD.

I've done a little searching and can't really find anything other than Cisco literature which obviously doesn't help. Hoping someone smarter than I has some pointers or ideas.